Inspection certification when travelling into California? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
At the BLM LTVA areas in Arizona & California, there are rules describing what is "self contained". For example, here is a quote from BLM:

"a. In the Midland LTVA, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault or rest room.

b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent, affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained."
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Can I assume you're talking about state parks without facilities that require self-containment?

Yes
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #23
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
At the BLM LTVA areas in Arizona & California, there are rules describing what is "self contained". For example, here is a quote from BLM:

"a. In the Midland LTVA, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault or rest room.

b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent, affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained."
Wow. That's weird: 9 gallon black water tanks are very common.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #24

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Yes, very true, and the rule states "waste water" and since my Bigfoot has a 8.5 gallon black water and a 19 gallon grey tank. Two separate tanks The rule says tank (singular) so..... does that mean I'm not legal ??? I don't know. Bureaucrat's, don't ya just love 'em.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #25

Name: KRISTA
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Thanks everyone. Good tips and good links to help us understand the requirements better.
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Randy B's statement: "Basically I avoid the state been there done that nothing to see except Tahoe and Yosemite. The rest well over priced waste of time head to Nevada, AZ see the Grand Canyon, Utah, WA, Oregon, ID so much more to see and allot less people in your way."

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We must have gone to a different California !!
I have to agree with Steve. While California can be expensive, particularly the campgrounds, Washington & Texas are not far behind.

As to things to see, check out Red Rock Canyon State Park (Empty when I was there), Bodie State Historical Park, Mono Lake, and, while i admit it was crowded & overpriced, McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park has one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the country.

While I can see the side of those that would not want to live in California due to the cost of everything & overcrowding of some areas, it still have many locations worth visiting.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post
Hi....we will be travelling from BC into the US for the first time with our renovated 1973 Trillium 1300, this summer (Washington, Oregon, N.Cali). Our first time south of the border in a trailer and not a tent! I'm confused by what is required for our trailer in regards to holding tanks and also certification. Specifically:

1 - We have an 8 gallon water tank. We use it mostly for washing hands, brushing teeth etc (grey water). We currently have no on-board grey holding tank for this - we have simply put a bucket underneather the expel hose on the outside behind the wheel to catch the waste water before putting it down the regular campground drain. Are we going to get stopped at the border for not having a self-contained unit? is this a state requirement? or only a requirement if you use water on board?

2 - While looking into RV Parks in San Francisco, we noticed one of them had a requirement for the following: "All RV’s must be self-contained. RV’s are expected to have proof of inspection by American National Standard Institute (ANSI).". What is the inspection for? Grey and black water (black water NA in our case), or other things as well? Do small tow trailers need to be looked at the same way as RV's or are teh requirements less?

BTW: we'll be staying in a variety of places: State Campgrounds, KOA's, RV Parks, (walmart parking lot?).....

Fortunately, we exersize common sense, but don't want to have any issues travelling south of the border. But at the same time don't want to install or implement systems that are overkill. Thanks for patience while we try to learn more about this... Krista

Hi Krista, as a fellow Canadian who frequently crosses into the US here is my take on what you need to know.

1) There is no requirement that your trailer be self-contained in order to cross over the boarder either entering the US or Entering Canada. BUT you may be asked about it & many other questions about the trailer - BUT only because the border guard is interested in finding themselves the perfect little trailer and they may even tell you they follow this forum. ;-) You would be surprised how many times going both directions that happens. The only certificate you need for the trailer is your ICBC Insurance/Registration papers.

2) ANSI & totally self contained is often/common requirement at some high end RV parks who's clientele is mostly larger newer rigs. A pretty common requirement at private campgrounds in a busy urban area. Its a good way of keeping trailers over X so many years of age out of their parks. Truth is you probable do not want to camp in such a park anyways! :-) BTW you will not find an ANSI sticker on many brand new self-contained Fiberglass trailers either ;-)

Having said that as others have pointed out self contained may also be a requirement at BLM sites down south just as it can be here in BC at Forest Service Sites. There reason for requiring it is very different from the private big rig campgrounds. At BLM and Forest service sites they do not want you dumping your waste water out on the ground and attracting animals. Pack it in, Pack it out and leave no trace rules!

What some folks with small trailers do is use a large paint bucket for their waste water that has screw top opening in the top - put your drain hose down through it. When you leave the area take the bucket of waste water with you. Take your porta potty waste with you as well, if there is no outhouse in the area to dump the potty waste down into.

Will the camp rangers care if you have a bucket that is enclosed on the ground collecting waste water? - that may depend on where you are camped and the types/size of animals that frequent the area. Some may look more favourable on a portable tank that was designed for RV usage that the drain hose connects firmly to vs a large bucket that is easy to tip over.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #28

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Quote:
You will miss out on some nice places if you avoid California, Gordon. .
Things to do in Calie!
Mission run from one end of Cali to the other..
Shasta, Lassen, Redwoods, Sequoia National Park (I worked at Sequoia for the National Park Service)
San Diego Zoo
Bishop Mule Days
Yosemite
Napa wine Tasting
Lake Tahoe
Olive pit in Corning on your way out!

That's about all the interesting stuff
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The BLM rule for the sensitive camping areas list is easy to understand.
Here it is:

Self-contained camping units must have a permanent, afixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity.
BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that
utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of
less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained.

The good news is that there are plenty of alternative BLM camping areas that don't require you to follow that rule. Just look up the website for the places you want to camp and see which sites require you to be self contained.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post

That's about all the interesting stuff
Think you forgot a few:

Joshua Tree National Park
Anzo-Burrago Desert

other than that, yup no darn good reason to go to California
Old 06-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #31

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Are the tanks a tank if they are tied together at the discharge?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
You could alway claim it to be a 9 Imperial Gallons which would make it 11 gallon's US.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #33

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You could alway claim it to be a 9 Imperial Gallons which would make it 11 gallon's US.
I suspect they mean a total of 10 gallons between the black and grey water or if only one tank then it must be 10 gallons. But you could call on the phone as ask first or send an email.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I suspect they mean a total of 10 gallons between the black and grey water or if only one tank then it must be 10 gallons. But you could call on the phone as ask first or send an email.
I think this whole line of discussion is tongue-in-cheek. And of course you are correct!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I think this whole line of discussion is tongue-in-cheek.
I certainly hope so as it's a bit over the top for "rules" that no one is going to check on with a TT. A Teardrop.........
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I do think, as Floyd describes, if you show up with a tiny 13' trailer in an area designated for self-contained units only, someone is likely to ask questions, and look. I recall Bob Miller reporting that for California state beach areas without facilities, his set-up with a porta-potty and closed external grey tank passed muster, but he did have to show it to a ranger.

It clearly would not pass muster in the BLM self-contained-only areas, nor at private RV parks requiring full self-containment.

The whole one-tank-or-two excursus was a bit of funnin' at the expense of bureaucratic rules, I think!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have never seen a campgrounds that allows tent camping that has a self containment rule. I would just look for campgrounds that allow tent camping. Pretty difficult for a tent to have self contained waste tanks of any size.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #38
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have never seen a campgrounds that allows tent camping that has a self containment rule. I would just look for campgrounds that allow tent camping. Pretty difficult for a tent to have self contained waste tanks of any size.

Good point.

We were in Utah at a BLM campground. The host made a point of asking us to water the plants around our site with our grey water. Different strokes....
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #39

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Freaking Cali.. I hope I never have to go back.. they want to control every aspect of your life..
I found this which might help explain a little but I can't figure if it applies in the case of someone bringing their own trailer into Cali and it gave me such a headache I decided to stay east: California Assn of RV Parks and Campgrounds :: Resource Links and CA Codes (hsc:18871-18871.11)
If you realize the damage that has been done to California by people ignoring the environmental protection laws, maybe you'd understand why California gets a little testy about some things. Want examples? Go take a look here:

CISR: Invasive Species

California is a beautiful, wonderful place. As a born Californian, I'd like to keep it that way.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #40

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
... Want examples? Go take a look here:

CISR: Invasive Species

California is a beautiful, wonderful place. As a born Californian, I'd like to keep it that way.
OK, I looked.. and most of those invasion species have been a problem in many other US States also. Why is Californian so different from every other state?

Interesting to read all the pros and cons about Prop 65 also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote