Inspired by the retired-- employed & full-timing! - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Member
 
SoloMatt's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 76
Inspired by the retired-- employed & full-timing!

Hey folks! I've been planning this for a while and finally managed to move out of my 2-bedroom apartment into my 13-foot Casita Patriot! I'm lucky enough to have a job that allows me to work as I travel and also have a little house in the desert that I will use from time to time when needed. It was great to see this forum has a section dedicated to full-timing... I'm sure I will have plenty of questions down the road. Hopefully, other younger, employed types may learn a thing or two from my adventures, too. I was originally inspired by enviously reading the stories of retirees on the road and realized I just couldn't wait that long! So, I'm gonna be documenting this experience with my cell-cam and will try to add trip reports to the campground section, as well as solo/full-time tips. Here are the first two vids!

Crystal Cove State Park:

Next, I'm going to do a tour of the
Casita, which should be up in a couple days!

Anyways... I'm already enjoying this new life and look forward to learning a bunch from fine folks in the Fiberglass RV community!

Happy travels,
Matt
__________________

__________________
TinyRV.Life
SoloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,560
Registry
Welcome, Matt!

My "home" during my first teaching job was a tiny sticky about the size of an egg trailer. Sure minimized the amount of housekeeping chores!

Enjoy your travels.
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Commercial Member
 
Larry,C's Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
Posts: 196
Congrats Matt! I had to retire to travel and I have no regrets. Now all I have to do is to get rid of my house and stuff and we can join you full time on the road.
__________________
Visit Beetlefreak.com to see our complete line of Casita latches and other interesting items.
Larry,C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Posts: 594
Registry
Hey Matt, thanks for the videos and congratulations on your new adventure. I think you said you were paying $1,800 a month for rent? YIKES! Moving into your Casita makes a whole lot of sense!

You may already know about the RV club called Escapees, but did you know that they have a new "lifestyle" group called Xscapers? When Joe and Kay Peterson founded Escapees in 1978 they were only 43 years old and 40% of their members were under the age of 50 and still working at least part-time. As the organization grew and time went by, the membership skewed more to the retired set and Escapees wondered how to meet the needs of a younger generation. Xscapers is their answer. You can find out more about Xscapers at http://https://www.xscapers.com/

Good luck in your new adventure and I look forward to seeing more videos!
__________________
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Correct link to xscapers

https://www.xscapers.com/
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Posts: 594
Registry
Oops! Thanks Norm for correcting the link.
__________________
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Posts: 799
Other good resources full-timing in fiberglass molded: rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more and Interstellar Orchard | Lessons on the journey to full time RVing When I first learned about full-timing in 1990, I was told that it was only for retired people that had "earned" the right to do it. Times have really changed for the good.

RVs are the present day covered wagons of the past! Love it!
__________________
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Member
 
SoloMatt's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Hey Matt, thanks for the videos and congratulations on your new adventure. I think you said you were paying $1,800 a month for rent? YIKES! Moving into your Casita makes a whole lot of sense!

You may already know about the RV club called Escapees, but did you know that they have a new "lifestyle" group called Xscapers? When Joe and Kay Peterson founded Escapees in 1978 they were only 43 years old and 40% of their members were under the age of 50 and still working at least part-time. As the organization grew and time went by, the membership skewed more to the retired set and Escapees wondered how to meet the needs of a younger generation. Xscapers is their answer. You can find out more about Xscapers at http://https://www.xscapers.com/

Good luck in your new adventure and I look forward to seeing more videos!
Thanks! I will definitely check out xscapers I did not know about them! Yeah...1800 was pretty steep! 64 bucks a night all in with utilities! I'm spending a whole lot less now... even when I stay in luxury campgrounds. Having a blast, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Other good resources full-timing in fiberglass molded: rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more and Interstellar Orchard | Lessons on the journey to full time RVing When I first learned about full-timing in 1990, I was told that it was only for retired people that had "earned" the right to do it. Times have really changed for the good.

RVs are the present day covered wagons of the past! Love it!
I'm a big fan of RVSue, she really does it right! Thanks for the other links I will definitely check them out. Glad to see the times changing-- I was actually somewhat motivated to do this by the fact that I travel so much for work anyways. So I'm earning as I go!

Glad you're all enjoying the vids-- thanks for all the support!
__________________
TinyRV.Life
SoloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
Member
 
SoloMatt's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 76
Put up a new video from my stay at Malibu Creek State Park. Will try to add a trip report to the camping section, too. So far I'm loving this new life!

SoloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 72
Hey Matt,

Really enjoy your videos. Maybe you can do an outside tour talking about how big your storage tanks are and how long they last you and how you care for the exterior. I actually don't have a grey water tank and am planning on replacing my toilet with a composting one. But am interested to hear how people are making due with what they have. I really like your new Patriot and would consider upgrading in the future if things work out for me.

Bex
__________________
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Member
 
SoloMatt's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccasf View Post
Hey Matt,

Really enjoy your videos. Maybe you can do an outside tour talking about how big your storage tanks are and how long they last you and how you care for the exterior. I actually don't have a grey water tank and am planning on replacing my toilet with a composting one. But am interested to hear how people are making due with what they have. I really like your new Patriot and would consider upgrading in the future if things work out for me.

Bex
Hey Bex! Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying them!
Wow, no grey water tank must be a challenge... is there a sink in yours? If so, does the water just go into the black tank?

I have heard great things about composting toilets and have considered making the switch sometime down the road but, for now, it takes me forever to fill the black tank (since it's just me), so I don't spend a whole lot of time at dump stations and it's all been very manageable. I will definitely do a video explaining some of the 'finer' details!

As far as exterior maintenance goes, I'm pretty bad at it since I'm always on the road. I usually just stop at a truck wash every so often when it starts to look real dirty. They are cheap and seem to do an ok job as long as I ask them to be careful with the pressure washer! I haven't attempted to wash it or wax it myself.

More vids on the way... thanks for watching!
__________________
SoloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Member
 
SoloMatt's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Trailer: Casita
California
Posts: 76
By the way, I have posted up another video from my stay at Lake Casitas Recreation Area near Ojai. I intend to make a post in the campground reports forum, just haven't gotten to that yet! In the meantime, here's the vid!

__________________

__________________
SoloMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here's My Full-Timing Blog Johnny B Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 2 10-27-2009 06:32 PM
Brand recomendations for Full timing? josho Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 17 08-15-2009 11:20 AM
Great article from the past on full-timing Penney H. & Mike E. Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 0 06-16-2009 12:06 PM
Motorcycle inspired by Airstream Pete Dumbleton General Chat 3 02-08-2008 10:58 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.