Just call me a part timer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
It Oakdale WI. I have never been east of Colorado Springs, Co. So I am looking forward to seeing a new part of the country. Thats why I chose to do this instead of a traditional job...gotta be the side bennies.. it ain't the money LOL!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
It Oakdale WI. I have never been east of Colorado Springs, Co. So I am looking forward to seeing a new part of the country.
[b]Well, Pm me if you come thru Northern Colorado, got room for you to get off the road for the night with E/W

Thats why I chose to do this instead of a traditional job...gotta be the side bennies.. it ain't the money LOL!
[b]Know what you mean............................... Have a great time! I hear it's beautiful there.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Mike T - I'll just add a few thoughts about our experiences leading up to choose full-timing. We loved our home in the high desert of Nevada and felt we'd live out our lives based there. Our place consisted of a small home, LARGE garage/shop, horse barn we built ourselves, and what felt like miles of fences which frequently needed work. Daily routine included:

1. We heated with wood (locating, chopping, splitting, stacking & stocking the pile)

2. Horse care (HAY - locating, buying [gasp], hauling, stacking, feeding; WATER - filling, draining, cleaning, breaking ice, hauling ice away, draining hoses; CLEANUP - rake/shovel/wheelbarrow ad nauseum)

3. All the general "home-ower' chores like painting, roofing, weeding, planting, mowing.

4. AND ... it snows there off & on 8 months of the year ... shovel, plow, figure out how to get to work or back, etc.

One day, after one of our roughest winters, DH stated he was getting too old for all this and it was time to trade one dream for another. We did a test "snow bird' season and realized tho' we loved our place, it was not a practical spot to grow old in. We returned to sell the property, hit the road with our Scamp and have no regrets. DH sez he plans to take his last breath in the trailer, on the road, but in the event we can't/don't want to continue traveling, we can be flexible enough to settle wherever we choose at that time. Even if you think you won't worry about your 'home base' while away, it seems nearly impossible to completely put those concerns out of your mind when you're not there.

Oh, yes - we agree with those who stated both/all parties should be familiar with hooking up, driving/towing, and on-board systems. We are Escapees members and feel they have much to offer and years of experience in meeting the needs of the full-timing world, especially the C.A.R.E. service offered at Livingston, TX. This is how it's working for us ... YMMV! Take care, L 'n D
Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
This is a good thread.

I suppose that, lurking deep within the depths of the gene pool of literally everyone in this hemisphere lies those genes which suggests a predisposition to wander- especially since all of those who are here once had ancestors who were willing to wander to get here. Some possessed the genetic combination to make them yearn to wander...while some did not. It is tougher for some than for others to give up the known for the unknown. But for some, the quest for the unknown is an adventure to be savored and lusted after, rather than just dreamed of. I just spent a month and a half this summer wandering in my Jeep & Casita, always traveling to new places, seeing new things, meeting new people. I liked it...a lot!I wonder if I have the wandering gene?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #19

Name: Richard
Trailer: uhaul ct-13
New Jersey
Registry
I thought I would share my story so people dont get the wrong impression that "All who wander are not lost" haha.
I retired from the Army in 05' and walked into the corporate world, after working in Chicago I was promoted and transferred to New Jersey whereas I bought a house. The Company closed shop and left the state stranding me in Joosey looking for work. I have had three jobs since then all of them downsizing and being the new guy at 47years old I was on unemployment.
My wife of years divorced after finishing school and I was stuck with a mortgage and three incomes gone. she was retired military also. sooo the bank foreclosed on the house while working on a refinance, I decided to let them have it and filed bankruptcy to protect my military pension from the vampires (I mean Banks) and bought my 13ft uhaul ct13 and hooked up to my jeep and hit the road..
I must say this has been the best decision I have made! after 24 years defending this country I finally get to see it the way I always wanted too!..
My point is, there is many young military guys in my shoes. this recession has hit us hard, thank god for our insurance benefits or I couldnt do this. I made Lemonade out of Lemons and am happier for it, but I have noticed that some put there nose up when I tell them I have no fixed residence..but I have lived all my life on the road (retired Airborne Infantryman) it was considered a legit then why not now? and in the deepest recession since the great depression why are we not helping our neighbors out more like the gentlemen above for Gina D? my hat goes off to him for being a good man!. I have seen in my 24 years in the US Army Infantry the worst and the best in Humankind all around the world. Of all times is now when we should be taking care of our neighbors, this is what is meant about being free in America and Ill spread that word and deed thruout the US and Canada as I travel Full time!.. Happy Trails Everyone!
Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ
Calud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #20

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calud13 View Post
I must say this has been the best decision I have made! after 24 years defending this country I finally get to see it the way I always wanted too!..
...Happy Trails Everyone!
Rick, you are lucky that you found what you wanted to do and found a way to make it work for you. I had planned to fulltime around 14 years ago when I was still in my 40s, even younger than you are now. I had a big career change of which the traveling was to be a part. I would be able to travel and work the way I loved at the same time. It came at just the right time in my life and I was so excited about it. I bought a 1986 Argosy 32' and was getting ready when there was a sudden change in the economy and I lost two contracts. Suddenly, I owned this big Airstream produced trailer and had nowhere to go. I had already started downsizing so I continued and moved into the trailer as planned. But I have been parked in the same location instead of traveling.

Living in an RV setting in one location has been a learning experience anyway. And I'm glad I did it. When I look at apartments renting for $800 to over $1000/month, I think that is crazy. But in some cities, that is what it cost to live. I would rather put that money into an RV payment and have something I love than throw it away as I did for many years.

Now that I am 14 years older, i don't really care to pull a 7000 pound trailer around or to pull the 15,000 pound Nuwa Hitchhiker that I currently own. But the traveling bug doesn't leave you just because your plans change.

The Wally Byan Creed was one of the things that not only inspired me more, but reinforced the plans I already had. I probably have another three years or so of "working" life. But I am trying to get my passive income up so I can afford to enjoy life and not need to work as I travel. Before I started this whole adventure, I read as many books on the RV lifestyle and on fulltiming as i could so I could learn as much about what I was going to do. I am not a mechanical genius and not a carpenter so I wanted to learn before i started. To get ready I also joined the Good Sam Club and Escapees. Let me recommend Escapees for anyone even considering fulltiming. It is an excellent SUPPORT group for fulltimers and part-timers as well.

I would also recommend you read several books on full-timing before deciding what you want to do. Because, your plans will change over time and as you age. Go with the flow and enjoy it, but you can enjoy it more if you are educated. When things happen unexpectedly, you will not be so surprised. This alternate lifestyle is not for everyone. I have a beautiful niece who is in college who can't understand the idea that her uncle "lives in a trailer." It doesn't matter to her that the trailer retailed for $80,000 and has neighbors who live in motorhomes costing three times what her parents' home cost...it's just the idea that her uncle is not "normal" like the rest of society.

Heck, I was a musical genius raised by farmers in a country town in Tennessee, so I have been used to being the oddball my entire life. They didn't understand me when I was a kid and they still don't. Nothing new to me.

Probably in three years or so, I will get a little spot in central Florida where I have always wanted to live, with my Hitchhiker or some "permanent" resident and use a new, fiberglass Casita for traveling. At that point, I will finally do what I wanted to do 14 years ago.

The following is the last line of the very inspirational Wally Byam Creed:

To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow a rainbow to its end... and thus make your travel dreams come true.

You can read the rest of the Creed on my blog. Now off to follow that rainbow!!

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
10 years ago our neighbors sold there house on the east coast and headed west. They had never trailered before, but did 2 years of research on what trailer and truck they wanted. They stopped by Oregon to get their ford truck and then went to California to pick up an Airstream trailer. They stayed in motels for 2 days until they were in a campground at Mt Hood to finally stay and try out the trailer. We camped with them this last weekend and they laughed as they shared their stories of starting out. After a couple of years, they wanted a home base and leased a lot for $2200 a year in a very nice place in Florida. When they wanted to stay and rest for multiple months, they would head for Florida. After 8 years they bought the condo next to us. They are a great couple to have around as they give great positive feedback about trailering. They sold the Airstream a couple of years ago because it was too big, but after 1 year missed camping so much they bought a 17 foot one.

After camping a couple of times in our trailer, Dawn now wants to full time in 5 to 7 years. I’ve always wanted to do this, and getting out and meeting all the great people doing this has brought her around. If we do fulltime, Dawn wants a base camp somewhere, but she feels if we have something leased like out neighbors did, that would be fine. So we will be having fun going to RV shows and looking at possibilities over the next couple of years!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #22

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
After a couple of years, they wanted a home base and leased a lot for $2200 a year in a very nice place in Florida.
Hey Dan, ask them what the name of that place was in Florida. I'm headed down there in a couple of weeks to check out some places for that very purpose.

Florida and Texas are two good states for establishing a domain for fulltimers. No state income taxes, lower taxes overall and other issues. I would love to know where they were in Florida before I make my trip.

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #23

Name: Nick
Trailer: 2012 Lance 1885
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calud13 View Post
I thought I would share my story so people dont get the wrong impression that "All who wander are not lost" haha.
I retired from the Army in 05' and walked into the corporate world, after working in Chicago I was promoted and transferred to New Jersey whereas I bought a house. The Company closed shop and left the state stranding me in Joosey looking for work. I have had three jobs since then all of them downsizing and being the new guy at 47years old I was on unemployment.
My wife of years divorced after finishing school and I was stuck with a mortgage and three incomes gone. she was retired military also. sooo the bank foreclosed on the house while working on a refinance, I decided to let them have it and filed bankruptcy to protect my military pension from the vampires (I mean Banks) and bought my 13ft uhaul ct13 and hooked up to my jeep and hit the road..
My point is, there is many young military guys in my shoes. this recession has hit us hard, thank god for our insurance benefits or I couldnt do this. I made Lemonade out of Lemons and am happier for it, but I have noticed that some put there nose up when I tell them I have no fixed residence..but I have lived all my life on the road (retired Airborne Infantryman) it was considered a legit then why not now? and in the deepest recession since the great depression why are we not helping our neighbors out more like the gentlemen above for Gina D? my hat goes off to him for being a good man!. I have seen in my 24 years in the US Army Infantry the worst and the best in Humankind all around the world. Of all times is now when we should be taking care of our neighbors, this is what is meant about being free in America and Ill spread that word and deed thruout the US and Canada as I travel Full time!.. Happy Trails Everyone!
Rick I do so understand what you're saying. While my story is different it's working out the same. Retired military, no spouse (my passed away), 15 years older but I'm retired and I am a wanderer. My question for you is how you manage in a 13 footer full time. The prices of the units are setting me back and I'm thinking if I can do with a 13 footer I save some bucks. I don't need a lot of room but just wondering if the size cramps you to much. Just curious. I've actually looked at an *shudder* r-pod because it's bigger and less expensive than the FG's I'm considering.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Escapees Care Program

There are many unique services provided by Escapees. It is definitely worth considering if you are considering becoming a full timer and it's worth doing well before it's time to hit the road as full timers. Our 40 year old children are already members and on the list for admittance to Escapee Co-op parks, one is on two lists for a spot in one of their parks. We are on one list.

We hope to get a spot at the Co-op in FL. For $8000 and $90 a month maintenance fee we get a large site in a beautiful park with mostly former full timers. When we no longer want our site we get our $8000 back and the next person on the waiting list gets our site.

When you are away from the park they rent your spot and you get part of the money towards your maintenance fee.

As well Escapees have an asssisted living center in Livingston, TX at the home park. At this site you live in your rig. They provide meals, take you to the docs, have programs, clean your rig, wash your clothes and generally watch out for you. Getting a hip operation and you can come here for rehab. Just amazing and it costs 'well' under $1000 a month.

It works because members volunteer and contribute to a very good idea. If you're ever near Livingston, TX this is worth stopping to see. It's such a good idea it will move you., it is so good you'll be moved by it.

This is just one of many good Escapee programs. As well as the 'Care' facility you can tour the Escapee home head quarters and learn about all they do for RVers.

Escapee parks provide a solution for people who can't full time any more and want to live in a community of like people.

Norm
Old 07-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #25

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Don, the name of the resort is "Travelers resort" in Dade county, Florida. Travelers Rest Resort - Home Page

Tags
full timing, fulltiming