Just call me a part timer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
10 years ago our neighbors sold there house on the east coast and headed west. They had never trailered before, but did 2 years of research on what trailer and truck they wanted. They stopped by Oregon to get their ford truck and then went to California to pick up an Airstream trailer. They stayed in motels for 2 days until they were in a campground at Mt Hood to finally stay and try out the trailer. We camped with them this last weekend and they laughed as they shared their stories of starting out. After a couple of years, they wanted a home base and leased a lot for $2200 a year in a very nice place in Florida. When they wanted to stay and rest for multiple months, they would head for Florida. After 8 years they bought the condo next to us. They are a great couple to have around as they give great positive feedback about trailering. They sold the Airstream a couple of years ago because it was too big, but after 1 year missed camping so much they bought a 17 foot one.

After camping a couple of times in our trailer, Dawn now wants to full time in 5 to 7 years. I’ve always wanted to do this, and getting out and meeting all the great people doing this has brought her around. If we do fulltime, Dawn wants a base camp somewhere, but she feels if we have something leased like out neighbors did, that would be fine. So we will be having fun going to RV shows and looking at possibilities over the next couple of years!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #22

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
After a couple of years, they wanted a home base and leased a lot for $2200 a year in a very nice place in Florida.
Hey Dan, ask them what the name of that place was in Florida. I'm headed down there in a couple of weeks to check out some places for that very purpose.

Florida and Texas are two good states for establishing a domain for fulltimers. No state income taxes, lower taxes overall and other issues. I would love to know where they were in Florida before I make my trip.

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #23

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calud13 View Post
I thought I would share my story so people dont get the wrong impression that "All who wander are not lost" haha.
I retired from the Army in 05' and walked into the corporate world, after working in Chicago I was promoted and transferred to New Jersey whereas I bought a house. The Company closed shop and left the state stranding me in Joosey looking for work. I have had three jobs since then all of them downsizing and being the new guy at 47years old I was on unemployment.
My wife of years divorced after finishing school and I was stuck with a mortgage and three incomes gone. she was retired military also. sooo the bank foreclosed on the house while working on a refinance, I decided to let them have it and filed bankruptcy to protect my military pension from the vampires (I mean Banks) and bought my 13ft uhaul ct13 and hooked up to my jeep and hit the road..
I must say this has been the best decision I have made! after 24 years defending this country I finally get to see it the way I always wanted too!..
My point is, there is many young military guys in my shoes. this recession has hit us hard, thank god for our insurance benefits or I couldnt do this. I made Lemonade out of Lemons and am happier for it, but I have noticed that some put there nose up when I tell them I have no fixed residence..but I have lived all my life on the road (retired Airborne Infantryman) it was considered a legit then why not now? and in the deepest recession since the great depression why are we not helping our neighbors out more like the gentlemen above for Gina D? my hat goes off to him for being a good man!. I have seen in my 24 years in the US Army Infantry the worst and the best in Humankind all around the world. Of all times is now when we should be taking care of our neighbors, this is what is meant about being free in America and Ill spread that word and deed thruout the US and Canada as I travel Full time!.. Happy Trails Everyone!
Rick I do so understand what you're saying. While my story is different it's working out the same. Retired military, no spouse (my passed away), 15 years older but I'm retired and I am a wanderer. My question for you is how you manage in a 13 footer full time. The prices of the units are setting me back and I'm thinking if I can do with a 13 footer I save some bucks. I don't need a lot of room but just wondering if the size cramps you to much. Just curious. I've actually looked at an *shudder* r-pod because it's bigger and less expensive than the FG's I'm considering.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Escapees Care Program

There are many unique services provided by Escapees. It is definitely worth considering if you are considering becoming a full timer and it's worth doing well before it's time to hit the road as full timers. Our 40 year old children are already members and on the list for admittance to Escapee Co-op parks, one is on two lists for a spot in one of their parks. We are on one list.

We hope to get a spot at the Co-op in FL. For $8000 and $90 a month maintenance fee we get a large site in a beautiful park with mostly former full timers. When we no longer want our site we get our $8000 back and the next person on the waiting list gets our site.

When you are away from the park they rent your spot and you get part of the money towards your maintenance fee.

As well Escapees have an asssisted living center in Livingston, TX at the home park. At this site you live in your rig. They provide meals, take you to the docs, have programs, clean your rig, wash your clothes and generally watch out for you. Getting a hip operation and you can come here for rehab. Just amazing and it costs 'well' under $1000 a month.

It works because members volunteer and contribute to a very good idea. If you're ever near Livingston, TX this is worth stopping to see. It's such a good idea it will move you., it is so good you'll be moved by it.

This is just one of many good Escapee programs. As well as the 'Care' facility you can tour the Escapee home head quarters and learn about all they do for RVers.

Escapee parks provide a solution for people who can't full time any more and want to live in a community of like people.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Don, the name of the resort is "Travelers resort" in Dade county, Florida. Travelers Rest Resort - Home Page

Tags
full timing, fulltiming