Just call me a part timer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Although as a soon to be retiree I don't see ourselves full timing anytime soon. I appears from reading many discussions on full timing it comes with it's own set of issues, different from static living in a house, but certainly a subset of issues unique to the lifestyle.

What I haven't read about much but perhaps has been discussed at length already (if so please stop reading here) is the reality that we will all grow older and many will get sick and some will die suddenly.

A scenario for the full timer that has cashed in all their tangible assets including their home, where do you go to convalesce if stricken with an illness that requires ongoing maintenance or bed rest? What if the spouse that survives the sudden death of their full timing partner has never driven an air brake 40 foot vehicle or pulled a trailer, or have a license and your "last stop" is a 1000 miles from your old friends and neighbors that you said adios to?

Anyway not my issues to consider, but for someone cruising around in a 17 foot or 40 foot RV (no longer considered a recreational vehicle?) as their only residence I'd have those concerns and would be darn sure to always have a home base that my wife and/or I could to go back to if an unfortunate event occurred. Where my mail goes or how much tax I pay or what state is considered my home state would not be high on my list...they're important but more as housekeeping.

I'd guess the above noted scenario would be what some "static" people could refer to as being homeless, the fact that there is no brick and mortar home base, hence the reason that many people feel homelessness and living out of a trailer full time are synonymous.

Being a full timer requires someone much braver and bolder than I.

BTW - Escapees does appear to be a very supportive organization for those living / traveling on the road but ya gotta admit as a name for the demographic it supports it can have many different connotations...

Just call me a part timer still not quite sold on the next step.....yet!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Escapees DOES have programs for convalescents in Texas.. I am not sure about other parks, but I have been reviewing Escapees info and am considering joining, if for nothing else, that feature.

As far as the rest goes, I do not know of anyone who started out planning to go to their grave in their rig. Most all have made other plans for when they can't live in the rig anymore. Selling a house does not preclude anyone from buying another, or renting a place.

I personally never set out to fulltime now..... my "Plan" was to sell my house, use that money to pay for insurance for both health and long term care and THEN hit the road, working to eat and save for a set structure in my "golden years". Life doesn't always happen as you plan tho, and I am so glad I can use my rig as home instead of staying with someone else or having a roommate (GAK!!!).

As far as who drives what where.. that is not impossible, it just takes co-operation between the two (or more) folks involved. Set tasks such as "I drive, you do the inside work" are self limiting. Insist that you learn from each other. Traditionally, husband drives and wife does inside work.. Hubby isn't doing wife any favors by never "letting" her drive and wife doesn't do hubby any favors by keeping him out of the kitchen. We all gotta get around and feed ourselves.... better than Burger King. If one or the other is lost or hurt.. you have just stuck the other in a predicament. Teach and learn with each other. Ladies... even if you don't WANT to learn.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
A scenario for the full timer that has cashed in all their tangible assets including their home, where do you go to convalesce if stricken with an illness that requires ongoing maintenance or bed rest? What if the spouse that survives the sudden death of their full timing partner has never driven an air brake 40 foot vehicle or pulled a trailer, or have a license and your "last stop" is a 1000 miles from your old friends and neighbors that you said adios to?
That happens quite often with the old "snow birds". Usually the kids or grand kids come rescue mom/grandma or less often dad/granddad when the other spouse passes. Most hospital allow RVs in their parking lots for a least several days till other arrangements can be made. I know quite a it about this because my grandparents were snow birds for 10+ years till he died and then grandma continued on a smaller scale without him for several more years. Being involved with them and their friends we saw all kinds of scenarios. Things tend to work themselves out.

Mike I totally understand wanting to have a home base. I'm pretty sure we will always have one but who know what life will bring.

And I couldn't agree more with Gina about both partners being able to hook and drive. Eric is the driver when we travel together, it's a control issue with him but I can hook and haul anything we have. For emergencies I have auto club and will have Good Sam's when we are on the road more.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
it's a control issue with him
yeah.. he's a real brute!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
yeah.. he's a real brute!

Yeah....guess I should have added it's because he has trust issues with other people driving.

He will now let me drive if we go somewhere local.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
A scenario for the full timer that has cashed in all their tangible assets including their home, [b]where do you go to convalesce if stricken with an illness that requires ongoing maintenance or bed rest? What if the spouse that survives the sudden death of their full timing partner has never driven an air brake 40 foot vehicle or pulled a trailer, or have a license and your "last stop" is a 1000 miles from your old friends and neighbors that you said adios to?
Just because your residence at any one time may not be portable doesn't guarantee that you'll fare better than someone whose residence is portable. Sometimes it is just not feasible to convalesce at home; any home. Maybe your brick-and-mortar friends and neighbors aren't as capable or reliable as your virtual ones, who are real people too. There are always trade-offs in life. All you need for full-timing is a sense of adventure, and the presence of mind to know you are capable of it. It doesn't hurt to maintain relationships with trustworthy people, no matter what.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I believe both partners need to be self-sufficient. That's not just knowledgeable about RVing stuff, including towing, but finances, etc. There's a huge difference between someone needing do something versus wanting someone to do something. I'd be glad to turn over dumping the tanks to my partner for instance, but I KNOW how to do it. Checklists are wonderful for those that are less initiated. You'd be surprised the number of things the memory allows to slip when it comes to hooking up, unhooking and setting up.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Quote:
I fully agree with the comments about both spouses knowing the basic skills for whatever lifestyle they are living. That includes those who choose the brick and mortar life. If one partner dies, the other needs to know how the finances and assets were managed, how the appliances work, how to winterize the sprinkler system, yada, yada. I have been moving around the country for the last 15 years, but I don't say adios to my close friends- that's what keeps Verizon and Southwest airlines in business! I have a brick and mortar house (officially on the market now!) and I still worry about what happens to my dogs if I fall and hit my head. I know someone would miss me shortly, but due to my independent lifestyle it might be a while before someone checked my house.

Full-timing does not have to mean traveling as a lifestyle, either. When/if I get to the full-time lifestyle, I hope to be spending long stretches parked near friends or family. I am guessing that my neighbors in an RV park would be quicker to notice a sudden change in my schedule than my current neighbors would. My experience with mobile home parks has been that if you are neighborly to folks, they are eager to jump right in to help when things go amiss. And I have been assured, even though I'm now on the other side of the country from my closest friends and family, that they would jump on a plane immediately to help if I had a catastrophe. It sounds like you also have deep enough connections with people to be able to count on their support.

Remember, courage is not being without fear, it means doing what you need to do in spite of the fear! (Not that you need to full-time, but don't let fear be the only thing that stops you)
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
All comments about "both" spouses being rv friendly are spot on (I have always had issues with Women who can't/don't/won't drive their rv!) for the reasons you stated Mike.

But having had the big rig park that I will venture to guess 75% of our guest were full timers wanted to attest to the comments made about the other rv'ers as well as us (owners) being more than willing to step in and help. I can think of several issues that arose where other guest would jump in and help out. Of course you have those who don't/won't but honestly you have that living in a neighborhood of permenent structures. Full timing in an rv is just a rolling neighborhood, with people of like mind. And when someone is in need you always have people willing to help out. I don't think it's about being braver, I think it's about being adventureous. I can tell you I personally have more rv/fulltiming friends that have become my adoptive family and who I truly believe would be there in a pinch long before my blood realitives from the years of owning the resort that I would never ever worry about the "what if issue", that being said due to my Dh's health issue I can assure you I most likely wouldn't take off full timing now but if I had to I know that it's possible and that it would all work out.

There are several guest some fulltimers some part timers that turned out to be friends that still to this day tell me to go ahead and buy another campground/rvpark/resort ( they know that's what I/we want more than anything to do again) and that they will come and help me with it and help with Dh and these are people who we met as guest. And I truly believe that they would be right there if I was brave enough to conquer the challenge of owning again and careing for Dh at the same time. One couple whom we became friends with even suggested we spend the summer work camping together in Montana, she wouldn't workcamp, she would entertain my Dh while her Dh and I work camped. Don't discount fulltimers as becoming essential parts of your life if it's the life style you choose to try.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #10

Registry
the folks jumping in the help part is right... at least it was for me today.

I am settled into my new living space today. It is a spot one of my full time campers at the campground I worked at this summer stays in during the winter months. In Quartzsite. When he heard that I was planning on staying on BLM land, he called the property owner here and worked out a deal for me to stay here with full hook ups for, literally, pennies a day. He wanted me to be safe and comfortable.

I pulled in after dark last nite, exhausted from an 8 hour drive. People here I have never met offered me food and help setting up, but it was better to do all that this morning in the light. I walked the pups and fell into bed.

This morning, before I barely got my coffee down, and without me asking for any help, a gentleman was hooking up a hard line for my sewer (No small task!) and another running electric. It was a team of folks making me welcome.

This is not an RV park, it is private property and I have a great spot with shade for the dogs, privacy from the other tenants, a washer and dryer 10 steps from my site.. it sure beats toting water and taking my black tank tote to the dump in the long term visitors area. I am very grateful!

My full timer customer has turned into a friend and helper.. he has even arranged for a job here for me this winter until I move on to my next summers assignment in Wisconson. (Thats another thread)

Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Eglyntine')
Quote:
... What if the spouse that survives the sudden death of their full timing partner has never driven an air brake 40 foot vehicle or pulled a trailer, or have a license...
Until recently, I traveled with my 92 year old father. While we were not fulltiming, we had to look at the very real possibility of death or catastrophic illness while away from home. It wouldn't really matter which of us was incapacitated, as he was no longer able to drive. He was very concerned that I might be thousands of mile away from home with a corpse to deal with.

We found insurance thru Good Sam that was made for this scenario. They would fly out a relative to drive the survivor home - or provide a driver; coordinate between your doctor and doctors in the area; fly home the 'grandkids' who were with you, etc. All for [at] $110/yr.

Although we did not need to use this insurance, it gave my father the peace of mind that allowed us to camp up until a few weeks before he passed on. Cheap at the price.
Deb T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #12

Gina, glad to hear your new rolling neighbors are so kind. Enjoy your winter! And do tell about your next workcamper assignment .

There always seem to be job's there in the winter. It's a crazy place ( not my thing) but thousands of people flock to spend the winter there. Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #13

Registry
Robin, I got on at a KOA in Oakdale. I am very happy to be able to learn the KOA system, as it opens up a whole new pool of job possibilities just about anywhere. Getting into one is the hard part. I want to do the No. Cal coast or So. Oregon ... most all KOAs in the NW are open year round.

The owners seem nice and dog friendly.

I did drive out to the LTVAs today. Its still a little early for the snowbirds, but I did see a plethora of different small RVs, even some tent campers and just plain old tents.

Early is good.. I managed to get a PO Box! (Yay!) I hear they go fast.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #14

Gina,

Ok, so your talking Oakdale WI not Oakdale Calif right? Sounds like fun, just a warning KOA's have bizillions of kids, so if your not use to that then well hmmmmmmm, you in for it..................... I enjoy kid's (at least most anyway) I worked at a KOA before we bought ours and then again after we sold and there were a ton of kids. We didn't get a lot at ours cause we were a big rig park so most people who travel in those are retired or kids are grown. You will be kept busy ringing up candy, kites, sqirt guns, etc. Don't worry about learning their system, it's acutally very easy. You will have to give us updates on what you think of the KOA system once your there for awhile. Have a great time. Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #15

Registry
It Oakdale WI. I have never been east of Colorado Springs, Co. So I am looking forward to seeing a new part of the country. Thats why I chose to do this instead of a traditional job...gotta be the side bennies.. it ain't the money LOL!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #16

Quote:
It Oakdale WI. I have never been east of Colorado Springs, Co. So I am looking forward to seeing a new part of the country.
[b]Well, Pm me if you come thru Northern Colorado, got room for you to get off the road for the night with E/W

Thats why I chose to do this instead of a traditional job...gotta be the side bennies.. it ain't the money LOL!
[b]Know what you mean............................... Have a great time! I hear it's beautiful there.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Mike T - I'll just add a few thoughts about our experiences leading up to choose full-timing. We loved our home in the high desert of Nevada and felt we'd live out our lives based there. Our place consisted of a small home, LARGE garage/shop, horse barn we built ourselves, and what felt like miles of fences which frequently needed work. Daily routine included:

1. We heated with wood (locating, chopping, splitting, stacking & stocking the pile)

2. Horse care (HAY - locating, buying [gasp], hauling, stacking, feeding; WATER - filling, draining, cleaning, breaking ice, hauling ice away, draining hoses; CLEANUP - rake/shovel/wheelbarrow ad nauseum)

3. All the general "home-ower' chores like painting, roofing, weeding, planting, mowing.

4. AND ... it snows there off & on 8 months of the year ... shovel, plow, figure out how to get to work or back, etc.

One day, after one of our roughest winters, DH stated he was getting too old for all this and it was time to trade one dream for another. We did a test "snow bird' season and realized tho' we loved our place, it was not a practical spot to grow old in. We returned to sell the property, hit the road with our Scamp and have no regrets. DH sez he plans to take his last breath in the trailer, on the road, but in the event we can't/don't want to continue traveling, we can be flexible enough to settle wherever we choose at that time. Even if you think you won't worry about your 'home base' while away, it seems nearly impossible to completely put those concerns out of your mind when you're not there.

Oh, yes - we agree with those who stated both/all parties should be familiar with hooking up, driving/towing, and on-board systems. We are Escapees members and feel they have much to offer and years of experience in meeting the needs of the full-timing world, especially the C.A.R.E. service offered at Livingston, TX. This is how it's working for us ... YMMV! Take care, L 'n D
Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
This is a good thread.

I suppose that, lurking deep within the depths of the gene pool of literally everyone in this hemisphere lies those genes which suggests a predisposition to wander- especially since all of those who are here once had ancestors who were willing to wander to get here. Some possessed the genetic combination to make them yearn to wander...while some did not. It is tougher for some than for others to give up the known for the unknown. But for some, the quest for the unknown is an adventure to be savored and lusted after, rather than just dreamed of. I just spent a month and a half this summer wandering in my Jeep & Casita, always traveling to new places, seeing new things, meeting new people. I liked it...a lot!I wonder if I have the wandering gene?
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #19

Name: Richard
Trailer: uhaul ct-13
New Jersey
Registry
I thought I would share my story so people dont get the wrong impression that "All who wander are not lost" haha.
I retired from the Army in 05' and walked into the corporate world, after working in Chicago I was promoted and transferred to New Jersey whereas I bought a house. The Company closed shop and left the state stranding me in Joosey looking for work. I have had three jobs since then all of them downsizing and being the new guy at 47years old I was on unemployment.
My wife of years divorced after finishing school and I was stuck with a mortgage and three incomes gone. she was retired military also. sooo the bank foreclosed on the house while working on a refinance, I decided to let them have it and filed bankruptcy to protect my military pension from the vampires (I mean Banks) and bought my 13ft uhaul ct13 and hooked up to my jeep and hit the road..
I must say this has been the best decision I have made! after 24 years defending this country I finally get to see it the way I always wanted too!..
My point is, there is many young military guys in my shoes. this recession has hit us hard, thank god for our insurance benefits or I couldnt do this. I made Lemonade out of Lemons and am happier for it, but I have noticed that some put there nose up when I tell them I have no fixed residence..but I have lived all my life on the road (retired Airborne Infantryman) it was considered a legit then why not now? and in the deepest recession since the great depression why are we not helping our neighbors out more like the gentlemen above for Gina D? my hat goes off to him for being a good man!. I have seen in my 24 years in the US Army Infantry the worst and the best in Humankind all around the world. Of all times is now when we should be taking care of our neighbors, this is what is meant about being free in America and Ill spread that word and deed thruout the US and Canada as I travel Full time!.. Happy Trails Everyone!
Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ
Calud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #20

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calud13 View Post
I must say this has been the best decision I have made! after 24 years defending this country I finally get to see it the way I always wanted too!..
...Happy Trails Everyone!
Rick, you are lucky that you found what you wanted to do and found a way to make it work for you. I had planned to fulltime around 14 years ago when I was still in my 40s, even younger than you are now. I had a big career change of which the traveling was to be a part. I would be able to travel and work the way I loved at the same time. It came at just the right time in my life and I was so excited about it. I bought a 1986 Argosy 32' and was getting ready when there was a sudden change in the economy and I lost two contracts. Suddenly, I owned this big Airstream produced trailer and had nowhere to go. I had already started downsizing so I continued and moved into the trailer as planned. But I have been parked in the same location instead of traveling.

Living in an RV setting in one location has been a learning experience anyway. And I'm glad I did it. When I look at apartments renting for $800 to over $1000/month, I think that is crazy. But in some cities, that is what it cost to live. I would rather put that money into an RV payment and have something I love than throw it away as I did for many years.

Now that I am 14 years older, i don't really care to pull a 7000 pound trailer around or to pull the 15,000 pound Nuwa Hitchhiker that I currently own. But the traveling bug doesn't leave you just because your plans change.

The Wally Byan Creed was one of the things that not only inspired me more, but reinforced the plans I already had. I probably have another three years or so of "working" life. But I am trying to get my passive income up so I can afford to enjoy life and not need to work as I travel. Before I started this whole adventure, I read as many books on the RV lifestyle and on fulltiming as i could so I could learn as much about what I was going to do. I am not a mechanical genius and not a carpenter so I wanted to learn before i started. To get ready I also joined the Good Sam Club and Escapees. Let me recommend Escapees for anyone even considering fulltiming. It is an excellent SUPPORT group for fulltimers and part-timers as well.

I would also recommend you read several books on full-timing before deciding what you want to do. Because, your plans will change over time and as you age. Go with the flow and enjoy it, but you can enjoy it more if you are educated. When things happen unexpectedly, you will not be so surprised. This alternate lifestyle is not for everyone. I have a beautiful niece who is in college who can't understand the idea that her uncle "lives in a trailer." It doesn't matter to her that the trailer retailed for $80,000 and has neighbors who live in motorhomes costing three times what her parents' home cost...it's just the idea that her uncle is not "normal" like the rest of society.

Heck, I was a musical genius raised by farmers in a country town in Tennessee, so I have been used to being the oddball my entire life. They didn't understand me when I was a kid and they still don't. Nothing new to me.

Probably in three years or so, I will get a little spot in central Florida where I have always wanted to live, with my Hitchhiker or some "permanent" resident and use a new, fiberglass Casita for traveling. At that point, I will finally do what I wanted to do 14 years ago.

The following is the last line of the very inspirational Wally Byam Creed:

To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow a rainbow to its end... and thus make your travel dreams come true.

You can read the rest of the Creed on my blog. Now off to follow that rainbow!!

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming