Kitchen hacks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Name: kacey
Trailer: Former scamp owner
Wisconsin
Kitchen hacks

I wanted to share some small kitchen hacks we are using in our tiny home this winter. I use ziplock bags for everything so tied two pieces of elastic like a belt around rhe outside of the microwave and just tuck the boxes under the straps. I put velcro on the toorhpick holder snd it is always ready when needed, no spills. Lastly, my fave, these little snap lock boxes from dollartree are perfect for a half stick of butter and they dont melt all over the countertop (2/$1)... Of, forgot tucking plastic shopping bags beside the ziplocks: dont worry as there is plenty of air circulation behind the mic.
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1454887781.160071.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  12.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
cchandka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
That looks like a nice way to keep things organized when camper and towing.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #3

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Great idea, but unfortunately, I don't have enough space over the microwave. Still looking for a good place to store those things. I also love the small snap lock boxes. For a relatively short trip they're a great place to store all kinds of condiments like mayo, mustard, ketchup, sour cream, salsa, etc. I corral them in a plastic bin in the fridge. Takes up way less room than even the small bottles.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Smart ideas for using some available space, Kacey. Thanks for sharing.

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

Name: Jordan
Trailer: Carefree
Manitoba
Banana Hammock

I made a banana hammock to hang fruit and vegetables in. Took about 6 metres of hemp and two hours.
Attached Thumbnails
20160920_083234.jpg  
Jorrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks so much for the great "kitchen hacks". While I don't have a microwave to implement your hack I'm always looking for "better" ways. In our ice box I'm always looking for better food containers. At home I like one-cup Rubbermaid "Take-Along" bowls with screw on lids but because they have rounded bottoms they bounce around like crazy when the trailer is moving. I think those lock-top boxes will be great!

We like to carry raw eggs and find most egg cartons hold a dozen and are made of cardboard which gets wet and mushy easily. I have found some brands of eggs come in clear plastic (not styrofoam) containers. I buy two half-dozen cartons and keep the empty carton on hand for when we travel.

While I mostly use re-useable shopping bags at home I get all the plastic grocery shopping bags I can get for camping. Each bag lines our trash can nicely and I find I'm always storing wet stuff in these bags. To keep them tidy I roll the bags around an empty paper towel tube and bind with a rubber band.

Twist ties are handy but the ones from the store have paper around the metal and deteriorate quickly while camping. I use twist ties meant for the garden when camping (available from hardware store in a dispenser). These are made with plastic and last forever.

On the subject of rubber bands...I find they lose elasticity quickly so I use colorful hairbands instead.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Check out this article. Real World Organizing Tips for Your RV - RV Life
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote