Land - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Hi all, I love the idea of fulltiming in a Casita and seeing the country for a few years, but I feel a need to have a small bit of land to come back to. Do any of you all feel the same? If so, where are some interesting places in the country where you can still buy reasonably priced unimproved land that will allow you to park a trailer from time to time? I am seriously looking at a parcel in Terlingua Texas.
__________________

__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
The Klamath Falls area of southern Oregon is having a boom at the moment.

I have a friend that has picked a parcel and will be moving out of his house and into a MOHO, doing just as you are thinking.

He will be "out" in the winter, and back during the summer. There is a possibility I can "share" the land with him, but he has to pick a few more details out of the deal first. I plan to domain in Oregon for the Risk Pool insurance. I have great hopes this might work.
__________________

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Well, first you want to apply the same search criteria as you would for a 'virtual' domicile, taking health, liability and vehicle insurance in mind. As well as state income taxes, vehicle registration fees, sales tax (when it comes time to replace trailer or TV), etc. Texas is obviously a good state for that or the Escapees wouldn't be located there.

Then you have to find someplace with a loose enough set of rules that will allow you to occupy the property on an irregular basis, including somewhere to dump waste if you don't put in a septic system or holding tank to be pumped out. That will generally let out incorporated cities, towns, etc., because they eventually set up rules, and lead you to unincorporated county land in about as rural a county as you can find.

BTW, I like the idea of owning a chunk of land and calling it your physical residence to establish domicile -- Might be more likely to satisfy the increasingly bureaucratic mindset that is slowly taking over.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
Well, first you want to apply the same search criteria as you would for a 'virtual' domicile, taking health, liability and vehicle insurance in mind. As well as state income taxes, vehicle registration fees, sales tax (when it comes time to replace trailer or TV), etc. Texas is obviously a good state for that or the Escapees wouldn't be located there.

Then you have to find someplace with a loose enough set of rules that will allow you to occupy the property on an irregular basis, including somewhere to dump waste if you don't put in a septic system or holding tank to be pumped out. That will generally let out incorporated cities, towns, etc., because they eventually set up rules, and lead you to unincorporated county land in about as rural a county as you can find.

BTW, I like the idea of owning a chunk of land and calling it your physical residence to establish domicile -- Might be more likely to satisfy the increasingly bureaucratic mindset that is slowly taking over.
I agree Pete: Texas is an excellent place to establish domicile. I like the Terlingua area for the freedom it provides, the cheap land prices, and the beauty of the Chihuahua desert. The desert gets a lot of rain compared to most deserts. Nine inches per year provides the Chihuahua with a lot of biodiversity. There are more species of reptiles in Brewster county (where Terlingua is) then in any other county in the US. I've been there many times. I can count the number of different species of cacti, and see many types of birds, as well as mammals. The big downside is that Terlingua is the most remote place in the lower 48 states (seriously, look at a night satillite photo of the US and you'll see a big dark space there). That means that you are 280 miles to the nearest hospital! You also have to bring your own water or set up a water catchment system. The upside is that you can buy 5 acres for $2500! And you are near the Rio Grande with good access to the border crossing at Ojinaga, which is a nice little town.

I want to buy land for the peace of mind I get from owning it. I doubt I'll spend more than 30 days there per year, but the fact that I know I own a spot on this planet is a good thing.
__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't forget the unofficial (no customs station) crossing in Big Bend NP!

I know it's a long way out there -- The Texas Utilities Commision gives special dispensation for the coin phone to charge $0.25 to access 1-800 numbers from the park!

It's a nice area for getting away from it all except when the snowbirds are in season
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
Don't forget the unofficial (no customs station) crossing in Big Bend NP!

I know it's a long way out there -- The Texas Utilities Commision gives special dispensation for the coin phone to charge $0.25 to access 1-800 numbers from the park!

It's a nice area for getting away from it all except when the snowbirds are in season

Snowbirds, Heck! I'm worried about the chili cookoff folks!
__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,816
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Snowbirds, Heck! I'm worried about the chili cookoff folks!
Hi: I'm glad our flight path to Florida doesn't include flying over Texas
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
Hi all, I love the idea of fulltiming in a Casita and seeing the country for a few years, but I feel a need to have a small bit of land to come back to. Do any of you all feel the same? If so, where are some interesting places in the country where you can still buy reasonably priced unimproved land that will allow you to park a trailer from time to time? I am seriously looking at a parcel in Terlingua Texas.
We are buying into an Escapee Co-op in California - "Park Sierra". You don't own the land, you own a piece of the business. With this, you can still have your Domicile in Texas and a soft place to land when if and you want to. Ours is half way between Fresno, CA and Yosemite Nat'l Park. Fresno (30 minutes down the road) has ALL the goods and services you could need. ie three large, great hospitals, all the shopping there is etc. etc.

One of the things that appeals to us is the "Community" spirit.

Escapee Co-ops costs vary from place to place, but is extremely affordable. Escapees have Co-ops in several states and are headquartered in Texas.
__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
Mike,

When I was looking at their website says there is a 4 to 5 year waiting list for Park Sierra. You already been on the list for awhile?
__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
We are buying into an Escapee Co-op in California - "Park Sierra". You don't own the land, you own a piece of the business. With this, you can still have your Domicile in Texas and a soft place to land when if and you want to. Ours is half way between Fresno, CA and Yosemite Nat'l Park. Fresno (30 minutes down the road) has ALL the goods and services you could need. ie three large, great hospitals, all the shopping there is etc. etc.

One of the things that appeals to us is the "Community" spirit.

Escapee Co-ops costs vary from place to place, but is extremely affordable. Escapees have Co-ops in several states and are headquartered in Texas.
Thanks Mike,

I'll check it out. Seems that the property owners in Terlingua Ranch are involved in a major court battle which is causing annual maintenence fees to sky rocket. I'm familiar with the area that the escapees call home, it's nice down there, and close to my daughters place.
__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Not all Escapee co-ops are the same. We have found some to be kinda trashy, some kinda un-friendly, but most to be very, very friendly and well maintained. On the good ones there is a long waiting list.

The one we are buying into is kinda spendy as far as Escapees go, but is very well kept up and the people are what you think of when you think of camping and meeting people at RV parks, very helpful & friendly.
__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Personally, were I choosing a place in Texas, I would be inclined to join Escapees in Livingston and use their services, including a physical address for licensing, voting, etc. If anyone is going to successfully challenge the growing need for "physical address" driven in part by Homeland Security concerns, I expect the Escapees will play a major part.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Posts: 799
Another option with the Escapees are ERPU which are described on their website. Right now, only one is without a waiting list and that is the one in Deming, NM. It is an interesting option since you pay a small yearly fee and for that particular place, $10,000 which gives you use of a lot for 5 years and you have the option of renewing after 5 years. Your $10,000 doesn't earn interest but at 3% in the bank...well, does it matter. They have 4 or 5 parks that do this. This would be my choice if we could just be able to get back out there, tomorrow would be great with these freezing temps. Cathy
__________________
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
Member
 
Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Posts: 33
Quote:
Another option with the Escapees are ERPU which are described on their website. Right now, only one is without a waiting list and that is the one in Deming, NM. It is an interesting option since you pay a small yearly fee and for that particular place, $10,000 which gives you use of a lot for 5 years and you have the option of renewing after 5 years. Your $10,000 doesn't earn interest but at 3% in the bank...well, does it matter. They have 4 or 5 parks that do this. This would be my choice if we could just be able to get back out there, tomorrow would be great with these freezing temps. Cathy
I'm confused. Is the $10,000 what the property costs for 5 years, or for life?
__________________

__________________
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Between the Lakes Tim H. Camping, Campout Reports 3 06-02-2008 04:43 PM
Land Cruiser Pete Dumbleton General Chat 0 02-01-2008 11:53 PM
Back from the land of crutches! Matthew Lyon General Chat 1 05-30-2007 07:10 PM
land yacht CharlynnT Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 2 05-07-2007 07:49 AM
land & sea international Erik J General Chat 5 02-26-2006 06:38 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.