Land - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Truck Camper / Dodge Powerwagon
Hi all, I love the idea of fulltiming in a Casita and seeing the country for a few years, but I feel a need to have a small bit of land to come back to. Do any of you all feel the same? If so, where are some interesting places in the country where you can still buy reasonably priced unimproved land that will allow you to park a trailer from time to time? I am seriously looking at a parcel in Terlingua Texas.
AlBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The Klamath Falls area of southern Oregon is having a boom at the moment.

I have a friend that has picked a parcel and will be moving out of his house and into a MOHO, doing just as you are thinking.

He will be "out" in the winter, and back during the summer. There is a possibility I can "share" the land with him, but he has to pick a few more details out of the deal first. I plan to domain in Oregon for the Risk Pool insurance. I have great hopes this might work.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Well, first you want to apply the same search criteria as you would for a 'virtual' domicile, taking health, liability and vehicle insurance in mind. As well as state income taxes, vehicle registration fees, sales tax (when it comes time to replace trailer or TV), etc. Texas is obviously a good state for that or the Escapees wouldn't be located there.

Then you have to find someplace with a loose enough set of rules that will allow you to occupy the property on an irregular basis, including somewhere to dump waste if you don't put in a septic system or holding tank to be pumped out. That will generally let out incorporated cities, towns, etc., because they eventually set up rules, and lead you to unincorporated county land in about as rural a county as you can find.

BTW, I like the idea of owning a chunk of land and calling it your physical residence to establish domicile -- Might be more likely to satisfy the increasingly bureaucratic mindset that is slowly taking over.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Well, first you want to apply the same search criteria as you would for a 'virtual' domicile, taking health, liability and vehicle insurance in mind. As well as state income taxes, vehicle registration fees, sales tax (when it comes time to replace trailer or TV), etc. Texas is obviously a good state for that or the Escapees wouldn't be located there.

Then you have to find someplace with a loose enough set of rules that will allow you to occupy the property on an irregular basis, including somewhere to dump waste if you don't put in a septic system or holding tank to be pumped out. That will generally let out incorporated cities, towns, etc., because they eventually set up rules, and lead you to unincorporated county land in about as rural a county as you can find.

BTW, I like the idea of owning a chunk of land and calling it your physical residence to establish domicile -- Might be more likely to satisfy the increasingly bureaucratic mindset that is slowly taking over.
I agree Pete: Texas is an excellent place to establish domicile. I like the Terlingua area for the freedom it provides, the cheap land prices, and the beauty of the Chihuahua desert. The desert gets a lot of rain compared to most deserts. Nine inches per year provides the Chihuahua with a lot of biodiversity. There are more species of reptiles in Brewster county (where Terlingua is) then in any other county in the US. I've been there many times. I can count the number of different species of cacti, and see many types of birds, as well as mammals. The big downside is that Terlingua is the most remote place in the lower 48 states (seriously, look at a night satillite photo of the US and you'll see a big dark space there). That means that you are 280 miles to the nearest hospital! You also have to bring your own water or set up a water catchment system. The upside is that you can buy 5 acres for $2500! And you are near the Rio Grande with good access to the border crossing at Ojinaga, which is a nice little town.

I want to buy land for the peace of mind I get from owning it. I doubt I'll spend more than 30 days there per year, but the fact that I know I own a spot on this planet is a good thing.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #5

Don't forget the unofficial (no customs station) crossing in Big Bend NP!

I know it's a long way out there -- The Texas Utilities Commision gives special dispensation for the coin phone to charge $0.25 to access 1-800 numbers from the park!

It's a nice area for getting away from it all except when the snowbirds are in season
Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Don't forget the unofficial (no customs station) crossing in Big Bend NP!

I know it's a long way out there -- The Texas Utilities Commision gives special dispensation for the coin phone to charge $0.25 to access 1-800 numbers from the park!

It's a nice area for getting away from it all except when the snowbirds are in season

Snowbirds, Heck! I'm worried about the chili cookoff folks!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Snowbirds, Heck! I'm worried about the chili cookoff folks!
Hi: I'm glad our flight path to Florida doesn't include flying over Texas
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Hi all, I love the idea of fulltiming in a Casita and seeing the country for a few years, but I feel a need to have a small bit of land to come back to. Do any of you all feel the same? If so, where are some interesting places in the country where you can still buy reasonably priced unimproved land that will allow you to park a trailer from time to time? I am seriously looking at a parcel in Terlingua Texas.
We are buying into an Escapee Co-op in California - "Park Sierra". You don't own the land, you own a piece of the business. With this, you can still have your Domicile in Texas and a soft place to land when if and you want to. Ours is half way between Fresno, CA and Yosemite Nat'l Park. Fresno (30 minutes down the road) has ALL the goods and services you could need. ie three large, great hospitals, all the shopping there is etc. etc.

One of the things that appeals to us is the "Community" spirit.

Escapee Co-ops costs vary from place to place, but is extremely affordable. Escapees have Co-ops in several states and are headquartered in Texas.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Mike,

When I was looking at their website says there is a 4 to 5 year waiting list for Park Sierra. You already been on the list for awhile?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
We are buying into an Escapee Co-op in California - "Park Sierra". You don't own the land, you own a piece of the business. With this, you can still have your Domicile in Texas and a soft place to land when if and you want to. Ours is half way between Fresno, CA and Yosemite Nat'l Park. Fresno (30 minutes down the road) has ALL the goods and services you could need. ie three large, great hospitals, all the shopping there is etc. etc.

One of the things that appeals to us is the "Community" spirit.

Escapee Co-ops costs vary from place to place, but is extremely affordable. Escapees have Co-ops in several states and are headquartered in Texas.
Thanks Mike,

I'll check it out. Seems that the property owners in Terlingua Ranch are involved in a major court battle which is causing annual maintenence fees to sky rocket. I'm familiar with the area that the escapees call home, it's nice down there, and close to my daughters place.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #11

Not all Escapee co-ops are the same. We have found some to be kinda trashy, some kinda un-friendly, but most to be very, very friendly and well maintained. On the good ones there is a long waiting list.

The one we are buying into is kinda spendy as far as Escapees go, but is very well kept up and the people are what you think of when you think of camping and meeting people at RV parks, very helpful & friendly.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #12

Personally, were I choosing a place in Texas, I would be inclined to join Escapees in Livingston and use their services, including a physical address for licensing, voting, etc. If anyone is going to successfully challenge the growing need for "physical address" driven in part by Homeland Security concerns, I expect the Escapees will play a major part.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another option with the Escapees are ERPU which are described on their website. Right now, only one is without a waiting list and that is the one in Deming, NM. It is an interesting option since you pay a small yearly fee and for that particular place, $10,000 which gives you use of a lot for 5 years and you have the option of renewing after 5 years. Your $10,000 doesn't earn interest but at 3% in the bank...well, does it matter. They have 4 or 5 parks that do this. This would be my choice if we could just be able to get back out there, tomorrow would be great with these freezing temps. Cathy
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Another option with the Escapees are ERPU which are described on their website. Right now, only one is without a waiting list and that is the one in Deming, NM. It is an interesting option since you pay a small yearly fee and for that particular place, $10,000 which gives you use of a lot for 5 years and you have the option of renewing after 5 years. Your $10,000 doesn't earn interest but at 3% in the bank...well, does it matter. They have 4 or 5 parks that do this. This would be my choice if we could just be able to get back out there, tomorrow would be great with these freezing temps. Cathy
I'm confused. Is the $10,000 what the property costs for 5 years, or for life?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #15

The co-op we are buying into, Park Sierra, is approx. $15,000 one time fee and $60 per month plus membership in Escapees. If you allow them to rent your space while you are out of the park, part of the rental fee goes to your monthly association fees.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Talking

The $1OK fee is a "deposit" that is returned when some body else takes over your space at end of "lease." Been to Deming and it's a little barren but VERY nice folks and pretty good facilities. A lot to see in the area, easy access to a nicer area of Mexico.
Escapees park in Livingston is also very nice with full facilities. The Escapee parks from Pahrump, NV across to FL are spaced about 6-8 hours apart on average, very inexpensive camping. Last cross country So Cal to FL stayed at Escapee parks all but 2 nights!
Definitely worth looking into, Yearly dues inexpensive at $75. or thereabouts. All their parks are clean, neat and range from very plush Aguanga, CA to pretty basic in Pahrump, NV. I'm on waiting at Bushnell, FL and Hondo,TX.
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote