Laundry simplfied............ Kind of.......LOL - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Well, we don't have a head to place it in, is why I used the tongue.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #22

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
I LOVE this product.... have been using it for quite some time now at home and figure I'd keep using it on the road
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I also like the Purex 3-in-1 product for its simplicity, but one warning - Unless there is an unscented version which I haven't found, they have a fairly strong oder even before you use them. I keep the open package in a freezer bag & the compartment they are in still smells strong enough to water my eyes...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I bought a tiny pump bottle of Method laundry detergent at a local store. About the size of a shampoo bottle, but promised 20 plus loads. And, it delivered. I stored it in the laundry bag with no issues.
I, like Donna and many others, suffer from contact allergies. I normally use only Arm & Hammer at home. I tried the Purex, but it made me itch. And sneeze.
The Method detergent gave me no issues, happily, though I tested with one load at home before deciding to carry it for the long haul.
I hope the Method detergent is not discontinued. It is no longer on the shelf at the corner supermarket.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #25

Name: Ray
Trailer: 13 ft Casita
North Carolina
This is your lucky day SherryNPaul.
Only your local supermarket is out.
I never heard of Method until your
post for which I thank you. Here's some:
http://www.amazon.com/Method-Laundry.../dp/B002YD7TTQ
RVnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #26

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
target carries the method detergent as well.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #27

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Many, many years ago, when I was young and single and footloose, a friend and I went tent camping for an entire summer. We had a tiny car, a tiny tent, some basic pots etc, and a tiny bag of clothing each. Once in a while we did laundry in the dish pan and hung things around the campsite to dry. The slowest things to dry were our cotton panties - and these we sometimes finished off by hanging them on the arial for the radio.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Many, many years ago, when I was young and single and footloose, a friend and I went tent camping for an entire summer. We had a tiny car, a tiny tent, some basic pots etc, and a tiny bag of clothing each. Once in a while we did laundry in the dish pan and hung things around the campsite to dry. The slowest things to dry were our cotton panties - and these we sometimes finished off by hanging them on the arial for the radio.

Confirmation that joy requires little..... maybe not eveb cotton panties.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnNC View Post
This is your lucky day SherryNPaul.
Only your local supermarket is out.
I never heard of Method until your
post for which I thank you. Here's some:
Amazon.com: Method Laundry Detergent Free + Clear- 50 Loads, 20 Ounce Bottle: Health & Personal Care
Thanks, Ray!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I've never heard of this product till this thread. This is why forums are great! I did a little googling around and they do have a "pure and clean" version of this product that is hypoallergenic. I would prefer that, even though I have no sensitivities. I don't like all that stink. "April morning " scent always smells like "silent dawn" to me I'm going to give the P&C version a try.

Like someone mentioned, I have virtually eliminated cotton from my traveling wardrobe. In my younger climbing days it was well known that "cotton kills" because it just won't dry. Now we have some great alternatives too.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
I've never heard of this product till this thread. This is why forums are great! I did a little googling around and they do have a "pure and clean" version of this product that is hypoallergenic. I would prefer that, even though I have no sensitivities. I don't like all that stink. "April morning " scent always smells like "silent dawn" to me I'm going to give the P&C version a try.

Like someone mentioned, I have virtually eliminated cotton from my traveling wardrobe. In my younger climbing days it was well known that "cotton kills" because it just won't dry. Now we have some great alternatives too.

David
I'm sure you'll like it, David. I'm not big on chemically defined "April", either, notwithstanding the itch factor for me, it never truly smells like April.

Ana, thanks for the info on Target. I'll check that out the next time I'm on that side of town.
Sherry
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
..... it never truly smells like April.
"April" smells like mud/mold and moss in the Pacific NorthWET.

Sorry, couldn't help myself
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #33

Arizona
Well,
I got my "pure and clean" laundry sheets! I love the idea so I'm keeping them, but you should know that even this flavor is HEAVILY scented with "pure and clean" scent . I removed them from the original box and hermetically sealed them in an o-ring gasketed plastic box!
David
Old 11-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #34

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Laundry - what clothing dries quickly?

I was thinking cotton would be the fabric to use for fulltiming/laundry issues. But you say that takes longer to dry?

What type fabrics or clothing do y'all recommend that are fast drying? I don't see myself heading into town to go to a laundromat all that often...

Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't answer the question about fabric types, but from a female friend that full-times she says buy shirts and blouses that AREN'T solid colors. Flowered prints work best, because if you spill mustard on the top, the yellow blends in.. AND, you only need a change for 5-7 days because the people you meet a week from now won't know what you were wearing last week... makes perfect sense to me.

The only other tip I've heard, is microfiber bath towels are best for traveling/camping. They dry quickly. Much, much faster than standard bath towels... especially if you're camping in the WET. I don't currently have microfiber (asking Santa for a couple), but I do know when I've camped for 5-7 days... my two bath towels NEVER completely try out. Nothing worse than trying to dry off after a shower with an already wet towel
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool View Post
I was thinking cotton would be the fabric to use for fulltiming/laundry issues. But you say that takes longer to dry?

What type fabrics or clothing do y'all recommend that are fast drying? I don't see myself heading into town to go to a laundromat all that often...

For good fast drying clothing look in stores the specialize in backpacking and climbing. Cotton is generally not a good option for outdoor clothing, as the saying goes "cotton kills".
I haven't kept up, but material band names like polartec, body sensor. Clothing manufactures Helly Hanson, Patagonia, Columbia. There's many more than I can remember.

Body Sensor makes T-Shirts that dry fast and are noted for NOT holding body odor. Polartec is a quick drying warm fabric, I've made turtleneck shirts out it. Hoping to make another one before the winter trip.

Stores to look at Cabelas and REI to start with.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #37

North Central Texas
Donna, thanks! All this info is immensely useful to me. I keep all this in a file for my future fulltiming lifestyle.

I appreciate any and all comments!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can't answer the question about fabric types, but from a female friend that full-times she says buy shirts and blouses that AREN'T solid colors. Flowered prints work best, because if you spill mustard on the top, the yellow blends in.. AND, you only need a change for 5-7 days because the people you meet a week from now won't know what you were wearing last week... makes perfect sense to me.

The only other tip I've heard, is microfiber bath towels are best for traveling/camping. They dry quickly. Much, much faster than standard bath towels... especially if you're camping in the WET. I don't currently have microfiber (asking Santa for a couple), but I do know when I've camped for 5-7 days... my two bath towels NEVER completely try out. Nothing worse than trying to dry off after a shower with an already wet towel
I can attest to the benefits of microfiber towels. I've used microfiber towels since they first came on the market and we carry a couple in the trailer all the time. They dry you and quick rinse and a short drying period and they're ready to use again.

Another thing you might be interested in is "Wet Ones" and "Bath Fresh" these are disposable towelettes for use when a shower isn't available or just need to conserve water.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #39

North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
For good fast drying clothing look in stores the specialize in backpacking and climbing. Cotton is generally not a good option for outdoor clothing, as the saying goes "cotton kills".
I haven't kept up, but material band names like polartec, body sensor. Clothing manufactures Helly Hanson, Patagonia, Columbia. There's many more than I can remember.

Body Sensor makes T-Shirts that dry fast and are noted for NOT holding body odor. Polartec is a quick drying warm fabric, I've made turtleneck shirts out it. Hoping to make another one before the winter trip.

Stores to look at Cabelas and REI to start with.
Byron, awesome info! Thanks, I'll look into these!!

This forum ROCKS!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #40

Arizona
Jool,
I don't use anything made of cotton. All my wash cloths and towels are microfiber. I found those at Costco. My underwear, socks and T-shirts are all fast wicking microfiber of some sort. Mostly from Cabela's. My shirts are polyester fleece or nylon variants. Once you know what to look for, you can find some nice low cost items in some unlikley places. For instance, I found some nice nylon fishing shirts at Costco for like $20! Costco and Sam'sclubs often have these types of clothes. They are GREAT in hot weather. Polypropylene long underwear is great in cold weather. These new fabrics that all fall under the heading of "microfiber" are very comfortable. They dry very fast, and because of that they don't get that sour smell that cotton does. These fabrics also wear like iron and last for years without showing much wear. Here are some sources that I cruise for bargains:
Cabela's
REI
Campmor
Costco

Unfortunately, there are probably more choices for men than women because they are mostly meant for outdoor use. That is changing for sure, but stilll not equal. If you don't mind cross dressing a bit here and there, you can certainly dress well. By the way, I own a kilt too! I love it for driving and hot weather . I don't give up any advantage to satisfy societal norms .

Stumptown Kilts, made in Portland OR

David