Laundry simplfied............ Kind of.......LOL - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A Kilt David? The big question is whether you go "commando" or not.... wait... I don't want to know..............

This is a great thread. I'm learning a whole lot about fabrics and such, but I've been hearing/reading a lot of good things about microfiber. I mentioned before... maybe it was on a different forum(?) that dog towels.. which are generally bigger and cheaper than "human" towels are a good value: Martha Stewart Pets&#0153 Microfiber Bath Towel Set - Martha Stewart Pets - Dog - PetSmart
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #42

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A Kilt David? The big question is whether you go "commando" or not.... wait... I don't want to know..............

This is a great thread. I'm learning a whole lot about fabrics and such, but I've been hearing/reading a lot of good things about microfiber. I mentioned before... maybe it was on a different forum(?) that dog towels.. which are generally bigger and cheaper than "human" towels are a good value: Martha Stewart Pets&#0153 Microfiber Bath Towel Set - Martha Stewart Pets - Dog - PetSmart
....... And I'll never tell I use the same towels on my dogs too. Costco, you know, means big packages. I just wrote "Dog" on theirs.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #43

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Very awesome, y'all ! David, you may wear a 'skirt-like-thing' more often than *I* ever do!!

Donna, thanks, goodness knows I have plenty of dog towels around here... (see my organization at www.grrrvillage.org) So now me and the dogs will all be sporting microfiber!!

I LOVE this place. I'm learning soooo much!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool View Post
I LOVE this place. I'm learning soooo much!
Hang around Julie... there is bunches of folks that are willing to share the "been-there-done-that." I truly believe in learning from people that have experienced circumtances. Why recreate the wheel? BUT, be certain what you read and learn fits your needs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #45

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Thumbs up

i agree with donna...lots of info here--but not all of it will suit you and your planned lifestyle. be selective and open-minded.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I have been using microfiber towels for a long time, probably around ten years. I don't really like them... they have a kind of "drag" squidshy feeling. But, in the right circumstances, the best route.
I also like old, thin, cotton towels. They, too, dry pretty fast, in a dry climate, and a little breeze.
I have expensive micro-fiber towels from camping sites, and I have a few from the automotive section at Target. They work equally well... although the "automotive" section towels are bigger, and fluffier. Guess the beloved cars get a better towel???

Oh, well.
When I can, I use my normal bath towels. Camping with one-night stays, microfiber wins. All the towels dry (eventually) spread out in the back of the truck, under the topper, as we drive along...
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #47

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
I have been using microfiber towels for a long time, probably around ten years. I don't really like them... they have a kind of "drag" squidshy feeling. But, in the right circumstances, the best route.
I also like old, thin, cotton towels. They, too, dry pretty fast, in a dry climate, and a little breeze.
I have expensive micro-fiber towels from camping sites, and I have a few from the automotive section at Target. They work equally well... although the "automotive" section towels are bigger, and fluffier. Guess the beloved cars get a better towel???

Oh, well.
When I can, I use my normal bath towels. Camping with one-night stays, microfiber wins. All the towels dry (eventually) spread out in the back of the truck, under the topper, as we drive along...
Sherry
It is kind of hard to get used to simply patting the excess water off instead of scrubbing it off.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #48

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post

Oh, well.
Sherry
Yep, dryer warmer climates are much easier for drying things. You've got to take the advice from us Northwesterners in context. I've gone weeks with towels that never dried. They just became less damp . For comfort there is no beating a nice thick turkish cotton towel

David
Old 11-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #49

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we have a tension shower rod in our trailer that we hang our morning's towels on when we are travelling. the sun has them dry by the time we arrive at the next destination. dennis also fashionned a drying rack from ABS piping that fits right into our bike rack receiver so that we can hang towels there while set up. it is a godsend. not every campground allows clotheslines to be strung up and this rig sure beats hanging them from the awning supports.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #50

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
It's not often that a everyday product comes along that fit's the needs of a rv'er, ... Knowing I would have laundry within a couple of days and not having the space in the Casita nor the patience to deal with it in a such a small space, I had made up a bag of detergent, softner, stain remover ect to do laundry in the campground facility's.

My dilemma, buying small enough containers of the products I needed so that I could store them from being underfoot the whole trip. ...

Well I found them, they are Purex Complete 3 in 1. Detergent, stain remover and softner all in one. I have to tell you, they are wonderful for having on board an rv.
I've been meaning to post my experience with this product. I bought the Purex Complete towels last year. Yes, they are great space savers. But ... I have found that they leave temporary staines on my garments. Luckily these stains go away when I wash them at home with our regular detergent. And since I'm camping it really doesn't matter all that much. Though I do go out to eat and attend get togethers at field trials, etc. So it would be nice to have clean looking clean clothing.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #51

Registry
Stains

A thought about removing stains while on the road. This product seems to work pretty well, not perfect, but does ok.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #52

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Are the microfiber towels a thin material, or are they thick like most cotton bath towels?

The discussion got me looking around at moisture wicking clothing, and I came across the following website and ordered a couple of shirts to try:
Coolmax clothing for less. Performance moisture wicking apparel
They use the Coolmax fabric. I could use something different for those warm summer hikes, as well as cold days on which I must work up a sweat. If these shirts help, I'll order more.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #53

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Quick dry clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Are the microfiber towels a thin material, or are they thick like most cotton bath towels?

The discussion got me looking around at moisture wicking clothing, and I came across the following website and ordered a couple of shirts to try:
They use the Coolmax fabric. I could use something different for those warm summer hikes, as well as cold days on which I must work up a sweat. If these shirts help, I'll order more.
That's a great site, Mike. I've started searching for quick-dry and easy care clothing and found the ExOfficio site has quick dry stuff.

Still looking though.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

I've used Coolmax. It worked good for me. I would suggest a single shirt to try it.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #55

Arizona
I like Coolmax as well.

Here is a t-shirt that I've been using for a few years. I really like them. They look and feel like cotton, and actually they do have a tiny bit of cotton in them. They dry very fast, wear like iron, and are very comfortable. They are also on sale for just $10! I'm going to grab a couple more.

Cabela's: Cabela's Dri-Release® Legendary Short-Sleeve Tee Shirt

David