Little Guy travels west coast w/ a cat ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #15

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
Slow pat,
Is that winter 40's west of Cascades. If so, what is summer? I don't want my cat to heat stroke.
It depends how close to the ocean you are. I live "in the foothills of the Cascades" and we are around 10 to 15 degrees cooler than on the eastside. We do not have a lot of hot days normally. Last year was an exception. This year we've had a couple of hot days each month. If you are by the ocean, you will normally be cooler. I left sunny, starting to warm up weather the other morning, and drove west to Chehalis 50 miles and it was foggy there.

There are lots of microclimates. The perfect place to retire, from what I hear, is SW Oregon. Brookings, Grants Pass, and Medford have seen a lot of people from south of the Oregon border moving in for quite a few years.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 PM   #16

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Mr Lynn,
I think I have Medicare with the supplement plan. I just recently got Medicare when I was approved for Disability, so it's been confusing to me. I always had a group plan insurance through the hospital I worked at. My biggest concern is getting prescription renewals. I was thinking of just not telling my Doctor I was full-timing, and come back for face to face appointments for med renewals.
I was shocked that when I left Colorado after 20 years my doctor wouldn't renew anything, since I could fine an accepting physician. Eventually, I found a dr 2 hrs away who would accept new patients. I just can't be without thyroid and asthma medication. Urgent cares will only give one renewal through Medicare.
I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. Like I said, Medicare is fairly new to me. Even after working in healthcare for 30 years, I didn't find it intuitive.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I could be wrong, but I think there's a time period at the end of each year when you can change your plan.

To chase cooler weather in summer, you might be able to find a spot to boondock camp off some national forest roads at high elevation. I'm thinking of the Humboldt Toiyabe NF.

If you find yourself still tenting for a while, you could get off the ground with a camp cot. I have one made by Coleman and find it quite comfy. Or get two air mattresses and stack one on top of the other to gain height.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Lynn, there are a few things youíre talking about that concern me a bit. First is your insurance, talk with someone who has full knowledge of SSDI, Medicare and the various supplemental plans, explain your situation and your full-timing plans just like you are on this forum. Even if you decide not to full-time being comfortable with your insurance will give you peace of mind. When you do find a doctor you like be completely up front with him/her. Your being an RN you can understand what Iím saying.

Speaking for me prescriptions have normally been good for up to 1 year but then depending on your medication perhaps your doctor wonít authorize more than a 6 month supply because he wants to be sure there arenít serious side effects.

Considering your cat, disability and need for a walker trying to full-time in a Little Guy 5 will not work for you. Prove me wrong. Find an RV dealer who stocks the Little Guy and spend a day in and around it. Pretend youíre living in it. Where do you cook when the weather is bad, (or good)? Where is the porta-potty/bathroom/shower? Where would you put your walker?

I noticed on another thread you said you have a Subaru Outback, that limits your towing capacity and something like the Scamp 13í sure seems to best fit the bill.

Whatever you decision I wish you the best of luck.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:32 AM   #19

Nevada
To One Ole Man,
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure you and everyone else are right about the Scsmp. Its just that I would have to cancel one of my hand surgeries to have money to buy a Scamp. I suppose I could do that.
But I'm just as concerned about towing a Scamp. When I got sick, I didn't drive for over a year, so now I am quite anxious on the road and avoid the highways. I just thought I'd be less anxious about a little guy. I imagine me pulling the Scamp 10 mph and never making it out of the city.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
What OneOleMan said: check the Medicare enrollment dates (usually in the fall), and get some competent advice.

The more you describe your physical and financial situation, the more it makes the idea of full-time camping sound crazy. You need a stable place to live, especially if surgery(ies) are in the offing.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern ē WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA ē Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Little Guy travels west coast w/ a cat ?

Lynn, I would not postpone necessary medical expenses in order to buy a trailer. Nor would I plan to be traveling during the recovery phase of a major surgery.

I suggested a used Scamp (or similar) in lieu of a new(er) Little Guy because I thought that by looking used you could stay within your original budget, whatever that is. Robbing Peter (your health needs) to pay Paul (your travel/living needs) doesn't sound like the best plan.

Have you truly exhausted all your conventional housing options? Have you looked into income-qualified rentals? Sharing an apartment? Renting a room? Have you involved social service agencies? Have you explored whether relocating to another city might provide better access to housing and social services to persons with disabilities?

I admire your determination not to give up. Maybe camping in a teardrop is the last option. But with significant and ongoing health challenges, I would cast my net wide and far to consider alternatives.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Jon raises some good questions. There are many assistance programs to help keep people from becoming homeless or starving. I hope you are investigating and applying for everything you can find. There's no shame in asking for help when you need help, and from all you've said, you do need it and the freebies and subsidies you can get.

My wife is on SSDI and Medicare also.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #23

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Little Guy Travels

Hey Lynn,
Some excellent advice given in the previous posts. Like Jon said your health comes first and you should probably get that squared away before thinking about traveling, you could use your recovery time doing research regarding your camping options. While camping in Vermont several weeks ago my wife and I met a women "almost" full timing in a Tab. She had a canopy which the Tab fit under and a screen house, it was a pretty neat set-up. In speaking with her, she said she was thinking about buying a commercial type van like a Nissan NV 200 or similar vehicle, she stated that she wanted something she could stand up in and get dressed especially in the colder months. She was planning on building shelves for additional storage and I would think a portable shower could also be rigged up that would have suited her needs. Overall she was happy with her set-up and had things pretty well figured out. I've learned over the years you can pretty much adapt to anything if you have the right attitude. So I would say take care of your health, take your time, and consider all your options. Best of luck to you. Peace!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #24

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
IN my neck of the woods, used stamps and used little guys are generally the same price ($3-5k).

I will say that I find our scamp as easy to tow as my dad's 5 wide teardrop. We camp together a lit...I love his outdoor kitchen, but this past weekend a fire band prevented us from using it. He'd have been Sol without my indoor one!

There's pluses and minuses to both!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
If I full-time with my cat in a basic Little Guy 5 wide (no a/c), where shall I go in summer/winter for tolerable temps. I was thinking California, Oregon, Washington coast so we have livable temps. I will have to drive back to Reno for medical care and prescription renewals, since I have Medicare and it doesn't travel.
From Reno you're about 1/2 days drive to Death Valley where winter temperatures are mild. Summer time you up the Oregon Washington coast/but that's a crowded area summer months.

As for Medicare I've used Medicare in several places, so Medicare does travel. Have my prescriptions (medicare) through Walgreens and can refill them at any Walgreens in the country. We don't full time be spend a good part of the winter in the SW desert. My doctor is a phone call away and any hospital or clinic that takes medicare will take yours.

One more thing of interest. Check the National Parks web site for passes that might apply to you. I have a senior pass and I can get into any National Park free and 50% off camping fees.

I would suggest that you look for a fiberglass trailer that you stand up, instead of a teardrop trailer. They cost about the same and weigh about the same.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #26

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
From Reno you're about 1/2 days drive to Death Valley where winter temperatures are mild. Summer time you up the Oregon Washington coast/but that's a crowded area summer months.

As for Medicare I've used Medicare in several places, so Medicare does travel. Have my prescriptions (medicare) through Walgreens and can refill them at any Walgreens in the country. We don't full time be spend a good part of the winter in the SW desert. My doctor is a phone call away and any hospital or clinic that takes medicare will take yours.

One more thing of interest. Check the National Parks web site for passes that might apply to you. I have a senior pass and I can get into any National Park free and 50% off camping fees.

I would suggest that you look for a fiberglass trailer that you stand up, instead of a teardrop trailer. They cost about the same and weigh about the same.
Death Valley sounds workable. I have an Access pass for Natl. Parks which gives me 50% off camping fees. I also have California State Parks Disabled Pass which does the same.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #27

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Correction

Lynn,
In my original post I indicated it was a Tab trailer, it was actually a T@g.
Sorry. Peace
Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #28

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

The Access (to National Parks) Pass is a free, lifetime pass available to United States citizens or permanent residents, regardless of age, that
have a permanent disability.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote