Little Guy travels west coast w/ a cat ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Little Guy travels west coast w/ a cat ?

Lynn, I would not postpone necessary medical expenses in order to buy a trailer. Nor would I plan to be traveling during the recovery phase of a major surgery.

I suggested a used Scamp (or similar) in lieu of a new(er) Little Guy because I thought that by looking used you could stay within your original budget, whatever that is. Robbing Peter (your health needs) to pay Paul (your travel/living needs) doesn't sound like the best plan.

Have you truly exhausted all your conventional housing options? Have you looked into income-qualified rentals? Sharing an apartment? Renting a room? Have you involved social service agencies? Have you explored whether relocating to another city might provide better access to housing and social services to persons with disabilities?

I admire your determination not to give up. Maybe camping in a teardrop is the last option. But with significant and ongoing health challenges, I would cast my net wide and far to consider alternatives.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Jon raises some good questions. There are many assistance programs to help keep people from becoming homeless or starving. I hope you are investigating and applying for everything you can find. There's no shame in asking for help when you need help, and from all you've said, you do need it and the freebies and subsidies you can get.

My wife is on SSDI and Medicare also.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #23

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Little Guy Travels

Hey Lynn,
Some excellent advice given in the previous posts. Like Jon said your health comes first and you should probably get that squared away before thinking about traveling, you could use your recovery time doing research regarding your camping options. While camping in Vermont several weeks ago my wife and I met a women "almost" full timing in a Tab. She had a canopy which the Tab fit under and a screen house, it was a pretty neat set-up. In speaking with her, she said she was thinking about buying a commercial type van like a Nissan NV 200 or similar vehicle, she stated that she wanted something she could stand up in and get dressed especially in the colder months. She was planning on building shelves for additional storage and I would think a portable shower could also be rigged up that would have suited her needs. Overall she was happy with her set-up and had things pretty well figured out. I've learned over the years you can pretty much adapt to anything if you have the right attitude. So I would say take care of your health, take your time, and consider all your options. Best of luck to you. Peace!
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #24

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
IN my neck of the woods, used stamps and used little guys are generally the same price ($3-5k).

I will say that I find our scamp as easy to tow as my dad's 5 wide teardrop. We camp together a lit...I love his outdoor kitchen, but this past weekend a fire band prevented us from using it. He'd have been Sol without my indoor one!

There's pluses and minuses to both!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
If I full-time with my cat in a basic Little Guy 5 wide (no a/c), where shall I go in summer/winter for tolerable temps. I was thinking California, Oregon, Washington coast so we have livable temps. I will have to drive back to Reno for medical care and prescription renewals, since I have Medicare and it doesn't travel.
From Reno you're about 1/2 days drive to Death Valley where winter temperatures are mild. Summer time you up the Oregon Washington coast/but that's a crowded area summer months.

As for Medicare I've used Medicare in several places, so Medicare does travel. Have my prescriptions (medicare) through Walgreens and can refill them at any Walgreens in the country. We don't full time be spend a good part of the winter in the SW desert. My doctor is a phone call away and any hospital or clinic that takes medicare will take yours.

One more thing of interest. Check the National Parks web site for passes that might apply to you. I have a senior pass and I can get into any National Park free and 50% off camping fees.

I would suggest that you look for a fiberglass trailer that you stand up, instead of a teardrop trailer. They cost about the same and weigh about the same.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #26

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
From Reno you're about 1/2 days drive to Death Valley where winter temperatures are mild. Summer time you up the Oregon Washington coast/but that's a crowded area summer months.

As for Medicare I've used Medicare in several places, so Medicare does travel. Have my prescriptions (medicare) through Walgreens and can refill them at any Walgreens in the country. We don't full time be spend a good part of the winter in the SW desert. My doctor is a phone call away and any hospital or clinic that takes medicare will take yours.

One more thing of interest. Check the National Parks web site for passes that might apply to you. I have a senior pass and I can get into any National Park free and 50% off camping fees.

I would suggest that you look for a fiberglass trailer that you stand up, instead of a teardrop trailer. They cost about the same and weigh about the same.
Death Valley sounds workable. I have an Access pass for Natl. Parks which gives me 50% off camping fees. I also have California State Parks Disabled Pass which does the same.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #27

Connecticut
Correction

Lynn,
In my original post I indicated it was a Tab trailer, it was actually a T@g.
Sorry. Peace
Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #28

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

The Access (to National Parks) Pass is a free, lifetime pass available to United States citizens or permanent residents, regardless of age, that
have a permanent disability.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #29

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
west of the Cascades would be a summer temp of 70*F

Quote:
Slow pat,
Is that winter 40's west of Cascades. If so, what is summer? I don't want my cat to heat stroke.
: we have virtually the same temperatures in Canada along the coastal plains. Some parts of West Coast like Parksville/Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island will get way more sunshine than others and be in the 50's or slightly higher in winter months, 75/80*F in summer but only 1 month of that then back to the 65/70*F.
Most areas of BC from Chilliwack south is 40/50*F weather go past Chilliwack and it starts to cool down if in Caribou/Chilcotin it is Brrrrrr cold 0*F or colder and the further north one goes the colder it gets. I personally think southern CA or AZ are the places to be in the winter months.
I also agree if your past 40 get rid of the Tear Drop and buy a 13' or larger Molded egg or a Canned Ham with furnace for those cooler days, throw a 50A solar panel on roof to keep your battery or y's charged. Run as much on Propane like Fridge, Furnace, HWH, Stove with oven as you can so much cheaper and then you can boondock and not pay as much rent. Nice to keep the dollars in the gas tank when you need it and not give to someone with expensive camp grounds. I have put in LED Lights but when they were expensive now much cheaper as they only use 0.5A per light where as the old ones used 2.5A per light and were hard on the battery. If you like music buy a crank up Radio as Radio's use Battery juice very fast.
But get a stand up Trailer way better than only being able to sit in a chair if there is room by rollin up the mattress, or laying down when it is pouring outside.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:05 AM   #30

Nevada
Good news!

A nurse I worked with 15 yrs ago has offered me a spare room to stay in (up to a year) so I will have the 2 surgeries and then stay with her and figure it all out, without so much pressure.
One day I lean towards the Scamp, and the next is the Little Guy. So I have time to think, and ask more questions.
Thanks for all your thoughts.....
Old 08-03-2016, 02:41 AM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Glad to hear of the offer Lynn, can't do anything but help you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:01 AM   #32

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
A nurse I worked with 15 yrs ago has offered me a spare room to stay in (up to a year) so I will have the 2 surgeries and then stay with her and figure it all out, without so much pressure.
One day I lean towards the Scamp, and the next is the Little Guy. So I have time to think, and ask more questions.
That is good news, Lynn. Now you can take a deep breath, relax, check out all your insurance options and during your recovery peruse the forums for all sorts of good ideas.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #33

Connecticut
Little Guy

Hey Lynn,
Glad to hear some options opened up for you. This buys you time and takes some of the pressure off. I agree with previous posters that a 13 ft. fiberglass trailer with a bathroom would be your best bet for full-timing. Check out the other 2 forums and if a 13 footer is in your future be ready to move if one your interested in becomes available they tend to go fast. Again good luck with everything and maybe we'll meet down the road. Peace!
Wayne
Old 08-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
WOOHOO!!!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #35

Nevada
Insurance

In general,
Is it best to add a Scamp or Little Guy to my car insurance policy or use an RV type insurance I see advertised sometimes.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:40 AM   #36

Nevada
Update

For those who have been discussing Medicare & insurance, thank you for inspiring me to research and understand the " how's & whys". I now know why the Original Medicare w/ supplement plan VS. Medicare with an Advantage plan could have been better for me to travel. But they are not available to me. If you have Medicare, but are NOT 65 (disabled), the Medicare Supplement companies are not obligated by law to accept you, and if they do offer a policy, they can charge increased rates for pre-existing conditions. Senior Dimensions of Northern Nevada ( an Advantage Plan ) was my only option.

It will be a few years till I will be 65 and collect my pension. Until then, I will have to come back to Reno to see a doctor. But at least I have a better grasp of the system now.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #37

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Trailer Insurance--my car agent or advertisers?

Quote:
In general,
Is it best to add a Scamp or Little Guy to my car insurance policy or use an RV type insurance I see advertised sometimes.

Definitely, IMHO, FIRST check with your car insurance agent and tell him what you're planning. Get a quote.

Only after that should you look elsewhere. Many ins. cos. offer discounts for multiple insurances.

We got our 73 amerigo insured for $10,000 on our existing car insurance AS an RV for less than $9 a month. It's peace of mind in case of something major happening.

She'll want to know what exact trailers you're thinking about and how much you'll spend to give you a ballpark; don't expect a to-the-penny quote until you have the item.

SOME companies, some states, don't insure these older trailers.
They all have their own guidelines.
But IMHO, ask your car agent first.

BEST
Old 08-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #38

British Columbia
U take a BOler that cost pennies in the late 60's and 70's &

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Definitely, IMHO, FIRST check with your car insurance agent and tell him what you're planning. Get a quote.

Only after that should you look elsewhere. Many ins. cos. offer discounts for multiple insurances.

We got our 73 amerigo insured for $10,000 on our existing car insurance AS an RV for less than $9 a month. It's peace of mind in case of something major happening.

She'll want to know what exact trailers you're thinking about and how much you'll spend to give you a ballpark; don't expect a to-the-penny quote until you have the item.

SOME companies, some states, don't insure these older trailers.
They all have their own guidelines.
But IMHO, ask your car agent first.

BEST
: is now worth mega bucks kind of makes one think but they are really not old as they are still building same trailers around North america and that is what your cost is to replace so make sure your insurance is for replacement cost of new trailer.
Stude
Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #39

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: is now worth mega bucks kind of makes one think but they are really not old as they are still building same trailers around North america and that is what your cost is to replace so make sure your insurance is for replacement cost of new trailer.
Stude

Hey, Stude and Lynn,

If they're still making the same or similar trailers, it'll be easy to get a proper replacement price for the insurance company.

PS, those pennies were a lot bigger in the 60's and 70's! 8)

Kai
Old 08-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #40

British Columbia
Yes the pennies in Seattle were always worth more then in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hey, Stude and Lynn,

If they're still making the same or similar trailers, it'll be easy to get a proper replacement price for the insurance company.

PS, those pennies were a lot bigger in the 60's and 70's! 8)

Kai
: right now your penny is worth 30% more than ours so your dollar goes farther. Remember a Boler when new was around $1700.00 New if you were to buy that trailer today in Canada it would cost $25,000 or more today.
Just a run of the mill figure.
Look at how much Bigfoot trailers have gone up since 2008 same as the Escape, Armadillo and others.
Stude