Little Guy travels west coast w/ a cat ? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If you have a bunch of personal belongings in the trailer and want their value to be covered too, an RV policy is better. If you don't own much of value, just put it on the auto policy. None of these insurers will want to give real value for a FGRV in case of total loss, but real value can be proven by showing "comps"... what the comparable used eggs of similar age are selling for in ads on here and on other sites.

As for supplements and Advantage, I personally question their value. Maybe your situation being more extreme than my wife's situation makes a difference. But I know that my wife has needed a few trips to the E.R. and also one hospital stay of about 3 days, due to kidney stones, and despite not having any supplemental coverage the Medicare paid for practically everything. I think we had to pay a couple hundred bucks for that hospital stay with its E.R. visit and a urinary stent installation and subsequent outpatient care with the urologist. I mean, just for starters Medicare receives a bill for thousands and voids out 85% of it as excessive. Then they pay most of the remainder and we have to pay a pittance. I have no plans for us to buy supplements when we turn 65.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #42

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Medicare doesn't include pharmacy coverage, so most people have to add that in some type of supplement.

If you decide to go with Original Medicare and add a supplement policy, you have 6 months to do that after you are eligible for Medicare. I am now past the 6 month mark, so to switch back means they can deny me or increase rates due to pre-existing conditions. So I'm stuck with an Advantage plan for now. I know I can go to an E.R. when I'm out of state. But for my regular dr appointments to renew prescriptions, I will have to fly back or drive to Reno, because with an Advantage plan you are only covered at "home" with the GP and hospital you declare.

In a few years I will get a small pension, so maybe I could afford a supplement plan then. For "normal" people they run $150-200 / mo. So with my ill health I expect $400 / mo. Plus Medicare B of $104 / month.

It's funny that people who don't have Medicare, like to tell me how Medicare is free, and my surgeries are free, and I could get a free electric wheelchair. Don't I wish!
Old 08-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #43

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Clarify my previous post

I was at a national landmark in Arizona, trying to walk on a trail to see petroglyphs. The Ranger said it was an easy trail. But it wasn't and I couldn't do it. There was a couple trying to tell me how a wheelchair, Medicare etc us all free. At the time, I didn't have Medicare yet, but I couldn't afford Obamacare, because my "monthly fee" was going to be $1200 / month. So I went without insurance. They insisted my Obamacare would be free to.

I didn't want to imply anyone on the forum has given me that erroneous advice.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #44

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Lynn Nothing is free any more or should I little is free now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
Medicare doesn't include pharmacy coverage, so most people have to add that in some type of supplement.

If you decide to go with Original Medicare and add a supplement policy, you have 6 months to do that after you are eligible for Medicare. I am now past the 6 month mark, so to switch back means they can deny me or increase rates due to pre-existing conditions. So I'm stuck with an Advantage plan for now. I know I can go to an E.R. when I'm out of state. But for my regular dr appointments to renew prescriptions, I will have to fly back or drive to Reno, because with an Advantage plan you are only covered at "home" with the GP and hospital you declare.

In a few years I will get a small pension, so maybe I could afford a supplement plan then. For "normal" people they run $150-200 / mo. So with my ill health I expect $400 / mo. Plus Medicare B of $104 / month.

It's funny that people who don't have Medicare, like to tell me how Medicare is free, and my surgeries are free, and I could get a free electric wheelchair. Don't I wish!
ven in Canada it is not free, lucky for me I can get enough drugs to carry me for up to 3 months of travel, My wife has a pretty good policy for traveling anywhere in the world even though I have Diabetes, amongst other medical problems were covered quite well, we are lifetime members of Good Sam and we have some overages through them as well.
It costs me personally around $80,00 a month for just about everything which is paid for by her old Company, plus their extended health helps me somewhat around 80% then my Pharmacare cuts in for the rest and what is not paid for I can write off in my income tax, I still have to pay some out of pocket but if I had to pay it all I think I put the gun to me head and pull the trigger.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:47 AM   #45

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
I was at a national landmark in Arizona, trying to walk on a trail to see petroglyphs. The Ranger said it was an easy trail. But it wasn't and I couldn't do it. There was a couple trying to tell me how a wheelchair, Medicare etc us all free. At the time, I didn't have Medicare yet, but I couldn't afford Obamacare, because my "monthly fee" was going to be $1200 / month. So I went without insurance. They insisted my Obamacare would be free to.

I didn't want to imply anyone on the forum has given me that erroneous advice.
Sorry to hear of the problems your having. Medical insurance sure has changed in the last few years.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #46

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Back to Little Guy trailers. I had mine in the rain and what I found annoying was if it was a heavy rain, or big drips coming down (when parked under a tree) the fenders made a big noise. I finally put earplugs in. Maybe putting some kind of a pad on the fenders when stuck inside during a rain would deaden the sound.

Plus, being stuck inside unable to stand up during such times is not fun. Or changing out of wet, muddy clothes. I had no side tent because a big part of purchasing a trailer was to get away from having to deal with a wet tent.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote