Little Guy travels west coast w/ a cat ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 04:06 AM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Little Guy travels west coast w/ a cat ?

If I full-time with my cat in a basic Little Guy 5 wide (no a/c), where shall I go in summer/winter for tolerable temps. I was thinking California, Oregon, Washington coast so we have livable temps. I will have to drive back to Reno for medical care and prescription renewals, since I have Medicare and it doesn't travel.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
. . . since I have Medicare and it doesn't travel.
If you have regular Medicare (with or without a supplement), it is good anywhere. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan (HMO), you can still access emergency services anywhere. Prescriptions can be faxed or called in anywhere by your physician.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
If "livable temps" are around 40 degrees with an occasional drop into the 20s or even lower, the Warshington westside of the Cascades would work. It is a wet, damp climate and your things will always feel damp. It may be worse if you have arthritis.

I used to have a 5 wide and spent a Christmas Eve night in it at an elevation of 1500 feet. It was 40 so when we went to bed, and 50 something in the morning. My faithful Lab helped warm things up.

We do get snow. Even the beach gets snow sometimes. Plan for long spells of drizzly weather.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I can find "liveable temps" pretty much any month of the year without leaving Arizona. It's all about elevation: low desert in winter, mountains in summer. The only caveat is desert nights can get chilly, and when a Pacific storm rolls through, days can be cool, damp, and windy, too. Liveable, but chilly.

At risk of repeating myself and others, I really can't imagine doing this in a teardrop. A small full-height trailer would be so much more comfortable!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
If I full-time with my cat in a basic Little Guy 5 wide (no a/c), where shall I go in summer/winter for tolerable temps. I was thinking California, Oregon, Washington coast so we have livable temps. I will have to drive back to Reno for medical care and prescription renewals, since I have Medicare and it doesn't travel.
Try to arrange prescription renewals with your doctor to get them out of state. Many fulltimers do that. They may use CVS or Walgreens. You can try looking on the Escapees forum for such threads.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
If "livable temps" are around 40 degrees with an occasional drop into the 20s or even lower, the Warshington westside of the Cascades would work. It is a wet, damp climate and your things will always feel damp. It may be worse if you have arthritis.

I used to have a 5 wide and spent a Christmas Eve night in it at an elevation of 1500 feet. It was 40 so when we went to bed, and 50 something in the morning. My faithful Lab helped warm things up.

We do get snow. Even the beach gets snow sometimes. Plan for long spells of drizzly weather.

Except, of course, when the temps are above 90 during the hot parts of the summer (in western Washington) with nights staying in the upper 70s, often-- never mind EASTern Washington, in the summer it's so hot we absolutely hate going over there.

And, yeah, it's a DRY heat--it sucks every ounce of moisture you have in your body out of your body and sends it off into outer space.

For goodness sakes, unless you HAVE to use a teardrop, get yourself something you can stand up in! Things like tents and teardrops are fun as all get-out when you're healthy in your 20s! Not so much when you're older and not entirely well any more. Do yourself a favor and think a little bigger!

Oh, you said Washington and Oregon COASTS?
Yeah, they're more likely to be quite chilly at night, sometimes tremendously windy, often quite wet (for days and days) -- and then there are the HOT days when you can't believe there's an entire ocean right there that "ought" to be cooling you off...and never forget the salt spray deterioration of all things metal over time.

Many things are fabulous for two weeks...not so much every single day.

Plus, trips back and forth to Reno may seem like they'd be OK now, but over time the same roads start to seem awfully repetitious and even hideous.

Still, I admire your moxie!

BEST
Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen & Paul near Renton)
Old 07-31-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Washington
Yah. The eastside of the Cascades is very cold in the winter--usually gets down around or below 0 at least once or twice. The rain we get on this side turns into snow over there. Then if the sky clears up, the inversion sets in--endless days of gray in the valleys, sun up higher but both cooling down into the teens or below at night. Clear skies mean cold in the winter. I grew up in that.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #8

Nevada
Mr Lynn,
Hi....I have Medicare with an advantage plan, so I had to declare a physician and hospital where I live. I could do E.R. In other states, I suppose. But for regular issues I would have to come back to Reno. My physician requires a face to face every 4-6 months to renew medications. Newer laws have changed things, I'm told. I spoke with Medicare and the advantage plan. I have Senior Dimensions of Nevada, so they said I can't go out of state.
A year ago I moved to Prescott, Az and couldn't find a physician who would take new patients. I got bit by stray cat and needed series of rabies shots. My only option was to go to e.r. for all the injections for many weeks. Total bill was $38,000!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #9

Nevada
Slow pat,
Is that winter 40's west of Cascades. If so, what is summer? I don't want my cat to heat stroke.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

Nevada
Cathi,
I have gotten renewals out of state at Walmarts. But have to see my doctor every 4-6 months for renewals. So I need to stay WEST, to make it a little easier to drive back to Reno.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #11

Nevada
Jon in AZ,
I agree with you and my first choice would be a Scamp. But I recently became disabled and lost my house etc/bankruptcy. Luckily, I qualified for SSDI, but it's not enough to maintain an apartment. I thought if I could find a used Little Guy, it would be a step up from tent living. I use a walker, and am hoping a Little Guy would be easier than getting off the ground in a tent.
I lived in Prescott for 5 months but couldn't cope with all the scorpions where I was. One of those Arizna Giant Centipede stung one of my cats, who died. So I left the area. I do miss the sunsets though.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Summer in western Washington can be quite hot unless you're right at the coast or up in the mountains. Especially lately. This year has been a lot better until the last week or so, when it went into the 80s. Even at the coast, you have days when it's plenty hot. Sometimes it cools down at night... We don't "ever" leave our pugs in the car or trailer unless we're in there with them; the heat can build to dangerous levels all too fast. If we're in there, we'll be aware of it and deal with it.

Terribly sorry to hear about your cat and the giant centipede. Horrible.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If there was one perfect place for year round weather, no bugs, no snakes, etc. It would be a retirees heaven and property would be a gazillion dollars an acre with a waiting list for 25 years to get a plot of land. Lynn, you'll need to plan to move according to the seasons, etc. There is no eutopia, unfortunately.

You may want to read RV Sue's blog: rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #14

Massachusetts
Quote:
Mr Lynn,
Hi....I have Medicare with an advantage plan, so I had to declare a physician and hospital where I live. I could do E.R. In other states, I suppose. But for regular issues I would have to come back to Reno. My physician requires a face to face every 4-6 months to renew medications. Newer laws have changed things, I'm told. I spoke with Medicare and the advantage plan. I have Senior Dimensions of Nevada, so they said I can't go out of state.
A year ago I moved to Prescott, Az and couldn't find a physician who would take new patients. I got bit by stray cat and needed series of rabies shots. My only option was to go to e.r. for all the injections for many weeks. Total bill was $38,000!
If you were able to switch to standard Medicare plus a supplemental, you would have a lot more flexibility and would not be limited to a local network. Even with your current plan, when out-of-state you should be able to go to a walk-in clinic (not an ER) for urgent visits, which would charge a lot less. Though I hope your MC Advantage plan paid the $38k (which would have been much less after the MC adjustment; they bill, then write off).

Not my business, of course, but have you looked into apartment sharing, or group homes? I know there are amazing people who live out of tents and campers full time, traveling all over, but having a stable place to live makes dealing with pets and medical problems much easier, and you wouldn't have the cost of vehicle(s) upkeep. You could still get out for a few days at a time in your Little Guy.

/Mr Lynn

Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Slow pat,
Is that winter 40's west of Cascades. If so, what is summer? I don't want my cat to heat stroke.
It depends how close to the ocean you are. I live "in the foothills of the Cascades" and we are around 10 to 15 degrees cooler than on the eastside. We do not have a lot of hot days normally. Last year was an exception. This year we've had a couple of hot days each month. If you are by the ocean, you will normally be cooler. I left sunny, starting to warm up weather the other morning, and drove west to Chehalis 50 miles and it was foggy there.

There are lots of microclimates. The perfect place to retire, from what I hear, is SW Oregon. Brookings, Grants Pass, and Medford have seen a lot of people from south of the Oregon border moving in for quite a few years.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 PM   #16

Nevada
Mr Lynn,
I think I have Medicare with the supplement plan. I just recently got Medicare when I was approved for Disability, so it's been confusing to me. I always had a group plan insurance through the hospital I worked at. My biggest concern is getting prescription renewals. I was thinking of just not telling my Doctor I was full-timing, and come back for face to face appointments for med renewals.
I was shocked that when I left Colorado after 20 years my doctor wouldn't renew anything, since I could fine an accepting physician. Eventually, I found a dr 2 hrs away who would accept new patients. I just can't be without thyroid and asthma medication. Urgent cares will only give one renewal through Medicare.
I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. Like I said, Medicare is fairly new to me. Even after working in healthcare for 30 years, I didn't find it intuitive.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I could be wrong, but I think there's a time period at the end of each year when you can change your plan.

To chase cooler weather in summer, you might be able to find a spot to boondock camp off some national forest roads at high elevation. I'm thinking of the Humboldt Toiyabe NF.

If you find yourself still tenting for a while, you could get off the ground with a camp cot. I have one made by Coleman and find it quite comfy. Or get two air mattresses and stack one on top of the other to gain height.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Lynn, there are a few things you’re talking about that concern me a bit. First is your insurance, talk with someone who has full knowledge of SSDI, Medicare and the various supplemental plans, explain your situation and your full-timing plans just like you are on this forum. Even if you decide not to full-time being comfortable with your insurance will give you peace of mind. When you do find a doctor you like be completely up front with him/her. Your being an RN you can understand what I’m saying.

Speaking for me prescriptions have normally been good for up to 1 year but then depending on your medication perhaps your doctor won’t authorize more than a 6 month supply because he wants to be sure there aren’t serious side effects.

Considering your cat, disability and need for a walker trying to full-time in a Little Guy 5 will not work for you. Prove me wrong. Find an RV dealer who stocks the Little Guy and spend a day in and around it. Pretend you’re living in it. Where do you cook when the weather is bad, (or good)? Where is the porta-potty/bathroom/shower? Where would you put your walker?

I noticed on another thread you said you have a Subaru Outback, that limits your towing capacity and something like the Scamp 13’ sure seems to best fit the bill.

Whatever you decision I wish you the best of luck.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:32 AM   #19

Nevada
To One Ole Man,
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure you and everyone else are right about the Scsmp. Its just that I would have to cancel one of my hand surgeries to have money to buy a Scamp. I suppose I could do that.
But I'm just as concerned about towing a Scamp. When I got sick, I didn't drive for over a year, so now I am quite anxious on the road and avoid the highways. I just thought I'd be less anxious about a little guy. I imagine me pulling the Scamp 10 mph and never making it out of the city.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:37 AM   #20

Massachusetts
What OneOleMan said: check the Medicare enrollment dates (usually in the fall), and get some competent advice.

The more you describe your physical and financial situation, the more it makes the idea of full-time camping sound crazy. You need a stable place to live, especially if surgery(ies) are in the offing.

/Mr Lynn