Looking to live in a 16 foot fiber glass trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
I lived for almost 10 years on a 27' sailboat...I probably wouldn't have moved off of it except for Hurricane Sandy.

My use-able inside space was 14' long x 10' wide(at the widest, and remember it was shaped kinda like a wineglass, not a box like a caravan) My ParkLiner is 12' long(+3 feet for the tongue to make it 15') So its pretty close in size so I could easily live in it. (kinda the same problem could be off season clothes storage...tools would stay in my truck).

So it is doable...like others have said add an awning and/or screen house area for outside entertaining and it's not so bad. I think about it when I retire down the road.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #16
Name: Randy
Trailer: 2014 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
MIchael, When reading this site it's a good idea to look understand who's giving the advice. Look at how long they've been members before giving their advice much credence. Then be skeptical.
Byron, really?

Discrediting someones advice based solely on how long they've been members of a forum.

You seem like fun.

Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #17
Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Scamp 16'
South Carolina
Personally, I think any size space can be made livable if you know what you truly need. They can be modified to fit your storage requirements if you don't need to carry a lot of your "stuff" with you. Necessities are one thing...all that sentimental "stuff" we acquire is something else altogether. What can you live without for the long haul?

What are your work options? Do you need technology available in your trailer for telecommuting or will you be going TO a job everyday? Do you have the resources / skills to DIY or do you need it either already done or professionally retro-fitted.

Will you be following the weather or will you find yourself in cold climes for the winter? All trailers can be made comfortable, but some are easier than others. There are 4 season small fiberglass trailers that might work better for your needs.

How are you in small spaces? Do you get claustrophobic? Rainy / cold days can keep you indoors when a screen room is not reasonable (although adding plastic sheeting or tarps and a space heater can work in all but the most challenging weather.)

Are you going solo or will you have a partner? (either human or fur-based). How much privacy / alone time to you require to be a sane, healthy person? Will a "walk in the park" so to speak be enough or do you need more than that?

Going to rallies is an excellent way to look at the options, talk to the owners and get a feel for the realities of spending permanent time in your rig. We're all willing to tell you both everything we love about our personal choice as well as things we'd love to see done differently.

Just my dos pesos and as Donna D often says YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Good luck and have fun while you do your research.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
The easy life

It's certainly true the quality of opinion varies from individual to individual. I know that Byron, a very knowledgeable and talented individual, was not attacking any individual, just stating a reality, different opinions have different values. I find them all interesting.

I will also say the RV life style is not for everyone. For myself and some others, particularly over 200,000 Escapes, fulltiming is a way of life. Go to the Escapees Forum (Escapees.com) and you can read the words of those that choose that life style.

For us it required some changes in life style. Over 14 years we have become extremely comfortable with less. Having Less means worrying about stuff less.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote