Looking to live in a 16 foot fiber glass trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Looking to build
Massachusetts
Looking to live in a 16 foot fiber glass trailer

i am contemplating living in a 16 foot trailer to move around the country and work/live . I am wondering what peoples thought are on this and any suggestion on the trailer. So far I'm looking at a scamp trailer used or something like it in the same class.
Wonder wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:07 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We do not live full time in our Scamp 16 but do spend about 8 months a year in it and one year did spend 310 consecutive days in our Scamp. This is our 14th year of travel like this.

We have worked to make our Scamp fit our 'travel style' by adding a level of organization beyond the standard Scamp. You can see our Scamp if you're patient under Preparing a 1991 Scamp in the Modifications section.

Travel style is also key. I believe that long term travel, living in less than a 100 square feet, requires a different way of living and thinking compared to the every day life we previously experienced.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One consideration is whether you will be staying in places with bathhouse facilities or not. Using a tiny wet bath on a full-time basis would get old pretty fast for me.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
One consideration is whether you will be staying in places with bathhouse facilities or not. Using a tiny wet bath on a full-time basis would get old pretty fast for me.
^^This^^ Also something that popped into my mind was your tug. To me, the smaller the travel trailer the more consideration that must be given to your tow vehicle. I admit to cheating in this regard as I tow with a Ford F-150 extended cab. I can pile all sorts of crap in the truck, both in the cab and in the bed, so can get away with being much less "efficient" in my packing/storage/space utilization in the Scamp. Not that a small tug might not work for you, just saying all the stuff has to go somewhere, or be left behind.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

Florida
Tow Vehicle

We had a small tow vehicle for years, a 2004 Honda CRV with manual transmission. It easily carried all we needed while economically towing our trailers all over North America for 8 months a year.

This year we bought a larger tow vehicle, a 2014 Honda Odyssey expecting to own it for the next 10 years. So far it gets around the same overall mileage as the CRV, less towing more on the highway not towing.

Ginny decided we're getting older and since we keep vehicles a long time an automatic would be good for us in the coming years. As well on this year's trip to Newfoundland we met a couple from Manitoba who traveled in their minivan. Ginny took one look at the Odyssey and thought of those people and proclaimed it's bigger than the Scamp.

Now Ginny's a soccer mom ...without the kids.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Texas
There are thousands of folks that live in less space than a 16 ft camper. Over the road truckers ,most have a 96 inch or less sleeper . The biggest sleeper I have ever been in was 156 inches and huge on the inside a 16 ft 196 inch sleeper would be a mansion.
Ron
Ron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #7

Florida
Ron, it is true that there are many people who sleep in smaller spaces but for many the transition can be hard. My daughter's mother in law tells me her makeup wouldn't fit in our trailer nor her closet of matched outfits. Transitioning to a small trailer requires changing your approach to life in many small ways. For us it's worked well but it won't or doesn't for everyone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #8

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I just added an awning and I carry a large screened tent, so if I feel the need, I can expand to about 300 sq ft of living area.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ginny took one look at the Odyssey and thought of those people and proclaimed it's bigger than the Scamp.

Perhaps... but not as tall! After many years of tenting, I've concluded there's something very luxurious about being able to stand upright while pulling on your pants!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #10

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Read everything before doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder wing View Post
i am contemplating living in a 16 foot trailer to move around the country and work/live . I am wondering what peoples thought are on this and any suggestion on the trailer. So far I'm looking at a scamp trailer used or something like it in the same class.
Dear Michael,

Have you ever backed-up a trailer? Maybe you should try that, before getting any deeper into this. It's hard until you get it. Then it's merely annoying.

My 13' Patriot is just for fun, so, I can't help you with the full-timing question. That's more about you than the rig.

But I just put my whole system together in the last 3 months as a total newbie. It's working great.

My best advice to you is to read this entire site, going back a few years.

Then, make sure you also read Casita Travel Trailer Forum going back a few years. That forum is really well organized by category.

Start with plumbing. In my newbie experience, it's the biggest change from land lubbing. I knew I wanted a full bath. That, and protection from rain and thunder and lightning were the things I wanted, when changing from tents.

So, you have to figure out if you want to deal with the plumbing issues: Fresh water, grey water, black water and dump stations.

Go to your closest park and visit the dump station morning-noon-ish . Basically, check-out time. Sundays are good. But any day will work. Watch what happens at a dump station before you decide this is the life for you. I think it's fine, but that's only my opinion.

Honestly, everything else is "down hill" from there. She made a funny.

No, really, unless you're an electrician, you'll be paying an rv expert for that help.

Also, make double double sure you have the right tow vehicle. Go bigger and stronger than you have to. Many, many numbers to learn about there: towing capacity, tongue weight, gross vehicle weight. Very technical.

Think about whether or not you'll need room for any guests. You'll definitely need an installed LP furnace, a 3-way fridge and a 3-way hot water heater. Lots to learn, there.

Full-timers probably will require generators, too. Solar might work if you stay near full sun like in the south-west.

The brand name is the last and least of your questions. Go to a rally and see them all for yourself before you spend any money.

Which rig you buy is like what you eat for dinner, or what professional training you choose: It depends on your personal temperament and your goals. One brand vs the other isn't your starting place. Everyone will tell you theirs is the best.

In a large group of people, who do you think is the best person to rely on? If you didn't instantly say yourself, take this very, very slowly. You'll have to rely on yourself every step of the way.

But these forums are full of wonderful, informed advice. Just remember that it's your money and time that are being spent.

I think what we camper people like about it is that we have the total responsibility but we also get the last word and do things our own way.
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #11

Florida
Jon, the Odyssey is not as tall as our Scamp but we lived in a Casita 16 for the better part of a year and that's not tall enough for me to stand up in, a reason we bought the Scamp. In fairness, the Casita 17 is tall enough to stand up in but was too heavy for our economical Honda CRV.

Michael, personally the most important part for us is having a trailer to travel in, one can spend forever looking for the ideal, literally and never find it. The advice to attend a rally is a definite to do. You'll learn more in a day than any other way.

If you're in Southern NH, near the beach, feel free to visit us, Just PM me and I'll give you more detailed info.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
(clip)one can spend forever looking for the ideal, literally and never find it.(clip)
Amen, I bought the first Scamp I ever saw. I have since seen one other Scamp (a 13) and a 17' Casita. They do not exactly grow on trees around here. As it turned out the Scamp actually is almost ideal for us. And old and cheap enough I don't mind working on it to get it "just right".
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #13

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
And old and cheap enough I don't mind working on it to get it "just right".

That's one of the biggest considerations: I can't really work on mine so I resigned myself to the fact that I would be paying an rv guy for renovations/maintenance/repairs.

So, Michael, it's really all about you, not the camper.
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
MIchael, When reading this site it's a good idea to look understand who's giving the advice. Look at how long they've been members before giving their advice much credence. Then be skeptical.

Living in a small trailer is not as hard to do as many would have you believe. Norm and Ginny manage quite well in a 16' trailer. There was another couple here that managed 4 years in a 13' Scamp. Another single male managed 6 years before cancer got him in a 13' Scamp. Life style has to change a bit from living is a large anchored house, but not as much as many would have you believe. You haven't got much to lose, most, if not all, of the trailer cost can be recovered if find out it's not for you.

Many of us sort and change the stuff we carry around with us through out our travel and living in the trailer time. So don't let you "gotta haves", and you "gotta knows" discourage you. You'll learn and grow into the life style over time. With an open mind it can be quite enjoyable and burden free.

Looking for used trailers that don't have major difficulties can be difficult. That's why we purchased new. Others have done quite well from the used trailer market. It all depends on how much time and effort you're willing to put into it vs dollars.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I lived for almost 10 years on a 27' sailboat...I probably wouldn't have moved off of it except for Hurricane Sandy.

My use-able inside space was 14' long x 10' wide(at the widest, and remember it was shaped kinda like a wineglass, not a box like a caravan) My ParkLiner is 12' long(+3 feet for the tongue to make it 15') So its pretty close in size so I could easily live in it. (kinda the same problem could be off season clothes storage...tools would stay in my truck).

So it is doable...like others have said add an awning and/or screen house area for outside entertaining and it's not so bad. I think about it when I retire down the road.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
MIchael, When reading this site it's a good idea to look understand who's giving the advice. Look at how long they've been members before giving their advice much credence. Then be skeptical.
Byron, really?

Discrediting someones advice based solely on how long they've been members of a forum.

You seem like fun.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #17

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Personally, I think any size space can be made livable if you know what you truly need. They can be modified to fit your storage requirements if you don't need to carry a lot of your "stuff" with you. Necessities are one thing...all that sentimental "stuff" we acquire is something else altogether. What can you live without for the long haul?

What are your work options? Do you need technology available in your trailer for telecommuting or will you be going TO a job everyday? Do you have the resources / skills to DIY or do you need it either already done or professionally retro-fitted.

Will you be following the weather or will you find yourself in cold climes for the winter? All trailers can be made comfortable, but some are easier than others. There are 4 season small fiberglass trailers that might work better for your needs.

How are you in small spaces? Do you get claustrophobic? Rainy / cold days can keep you indoors when a screen room is not reasonable (although adding plastic sheeting or tarps and a space heater can work in all but the most challenging weather.)

Are you going solo or will you have a partner? (either human or fur-based). How much privacy / alone time to you require to be a sane, healthy person? Will a "walk in the park" so to speak be enough or do you need more than that?

Going to rallies is an excellent way to look at the options, talk to the owners and get a feel for the realities of spending permanent time in your rig. We're all willing to tell you both everything we love about our personal choice as well as things we'd love to see done differently.

Just my dos pesos and as Donna D often says YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Good luck and have fun while you do your research.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #18

Florida
The easy life

It's certainly true the quality of opinion varies from individual to individual. I know that Byron, a very knowledgeable and talented individual, was not attacking any individual, just stating a reality, different opinions have different values. I find them all interesting.

I will also say the RV life style is not for everyone. For myself and some others, particularly over 200,000 Escapes, fulltiming is a way of life. Go to the Escapees Forum (Escapees.com) and you can read the words of those that choose that life style.

For us it required some changes in life style. Over 14 years we have become extremely comfortable with less. Having Less means worrying about stuff less.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16