Mail Forwarding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
MAIL FORWARDING SERVICES
http://www.usa2me.com/site/default.aspx
http://www.myus.com/
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

What would most full-timers look for in a mail forwarding service?

I have a close friend who runs a small independent P.O. Box Rental / UPS / FedEx business. She provides mail forwarding for her box holders who need it.

What would the places Suzanne P. linked to provide that my friend could not (or vice versa)?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Good Sam has a mail forwarding service. Many are members of Good Sam and have ERS through Good Sam. It would be interesting to hear from those have used this GS service.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
And, what do you forward to? General Delivery? How long can your mail be held in one particular spot? (Does it vary? Private service vs. USPS?)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've used two of the UPS Stores (prev MailBoxes Etc) as my address and they did a good job and pretty much do what the other services do, although the services set up primarily for fulltimers may be able to do something else for you, like take a fax to a courthouse or something like that if needed.

Generically, with any mail service, when one is going to be somewhere for a while, one goes to the local (small, not a large or busy one where things are more easily lost) and ask if General Delivery service is available (reportedly, so POs don't), leave your name and tell them you will be expecting a package of mail.

You then call your service, ask them to do what I dub a Scoop & Send, i.e., gather your mail, package it and send it (I prefer the Tyvek envelopes to paper ones as they are less likely to be ripped open) to General Delivery, Podunk USA 12345. You can also use an RV park if they will accept a package for you (ask first, some won't).

BTW, UPS Stores should be asked first, because sometimes they won't accept mail for anyone but one of their local boxholders.

If you are snowbirding at one RV park, say in Florida, some northern POs have Snowbird Service, where they will pack and forward your mail using pre-addressed envelopes and money left on deposit with them, but that won't work for random travelers.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
...gather your mail, package it and send it ([b]I prefer the Tyvek envelopes to paper ones as they are less likely to be ripped open)
Check into the new rules that went into effect when the new "Forever Stamps" came out, during the last rate increase. Mailing became very complicated! The Post Office is copying UPS' zone system for figuring out rates. Only thin 1st class envelopes less than a few ounces can be mailed in a similar manner to before.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the best solution is to NOT have any mail to forward. Now I'm going to assume (don't you hate that), everyone has a laptop or other computer device and currently does at least some of their business online. I'm slowly moving to "paperless." All my bills are online and my credit union no longer sends me statements. Right now, the only snail-mail I receive is junk mail, stuff from the goverment, and Christmas Cards/letters from family who isn't connected. My future plan is to have a relative take care of mail that I absolutely can't get online and I'll purchase phone cards (with forever minutes) for those few family members that aren't connected and prefer to write me letters... they'll just have to call instead!

I've kinda looked into commercial mail forwarding and paying right at $100+ a year to receive the little bit I can't dispose of ahead of time, doesn't seem worthwhile to me. Your mileage may vary.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #8

Frederick, the envelopes I got were mailed by the mail service and were stuffed with my mail because I typically wouldn't have a mailing for a month or so. In fact, one time my mail service called my sister to see if I was still alive because he hadn't heard from me in three months (turned out I called him for forwarding the same day he called my sister). Often, I had enough mail that it came in a box.

Which reminds me, I always made sure that I had an emergency notification list on file with the mailing service. Some at first didn't want to do it, but I told them that if I was killed on the road, their address would be what was on my DL and the police would be bugging the heck out of them for a next of kin for a long time...

Donna, it's easier now than it was nine years ago, but it's unlikely that you will get the mail down to zero, and that's a moot point anyway -- If you want a DL and a vehicle registration, both of which are kind of handy if you are FullTiming in an RV, you will need a mailing address -- Our society demands it...

However, presuming you have reliable relatives on a preferred (taxes, registration, etc.) state, the best way to handle address, mail, etc., is to use their address, pay for the forwarding, and buy them an occasional dinner out.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna, it's easier now than it was nine years ago, but it's unlikely that you will get the mail down to zero, and that's a moot point anyway -- If you want a DL and a vehicle registration, both of which are kind of handy if you are FullTiming in an RV, you will need a mailing address -- Our society demands it...
I agree Pete, it is easier now than ever and will get easier as time goes on.

PS: In Oregon, your drivers license must be to a physical residential address. No P.O. Boxes or Businesses allowed....well, except for law enforcement folk.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #10

I believe they did that because of the abuse that was happening with out-of-staters with high registration and/or sales taxes registering vehicles at a mail service while maintaining a domicile elsewhere. I doubt that it would stand up against a serious legal challenge by someone like a FullTimer, but I'm certainly not going to spend the legal fees to find out.

Here's a quote from the 2004 Oregon Voter's Guide regarding the homeless and voting in Oregon:

Note: Registration of Homeless Persons
It is prohibited to deny any qualified person who is homeless the opportunity to register
to vote. For voter registration purposes, the residence of a homeless person shall be any place
within the county that describes the physical location of the person. The mailing address of a
homeless person may be the County Clerk’s office. [§ 247.038]

So where is the line drawn between persons who change physical location annually, monthly or daily with regard to some things that are deemed to be almost rights, like driving...

BTW, notice that even the homeless need a mailing address to vote

ON EDIT: I forgot to mention that last time I checked, Florida law allows DL to reflect the address of a friend!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am with Donna on this one. EVERYTHING I do financially is online now.

Other stuff, is relatively unimportant.. junk mail, etc. I did get ANOTHER recall notice for the Jeep last week but I suppose in the near future, you can register for such items in your email.

Even my mother sends cards online.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Here is another option...

This appears to be very similar to the process used by my bill paying service. Your mail goes to thier address, and they scan the envelope. You can tell them electronically to scan the entire contents, or shred/recycle the mail based on what the envelope says.

My bill service automatically scans everything, envelope, bill, insets, everything.

The earth class mail video says they will be auto depositing checks very soon.

Very interesting, if you are comfortable with this method.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I did get ANOTHER recall notice for the Jeep last week but I suppose in the near future, you can register for such items in your email.
Wow Gina! Jeep is building you a new car, one recall at a time!

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote