Medical Issues and Fulltiming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Medical Issues and Fulltiming

My question deals with handling medical issues and fulltiming, i.e. having bloodwork done on a timely basis, like every 4 weeks, receiving prescription drugs, Doctor appointments, etc. I realize that this is a very large topic, but for my wife and myself, this would be an issue that needs to be addresses.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
PMWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
A senior friend of mine who frequently traveled with his wife in their MH told me about what a good response they got when they went into the ER of rural hospitals. First his wife was well taken care of and then they were welcomed to spend the night in the parking lot. (Some places were set up for RV power.)

Later as I was traveling cross country with my 13'Scamp my back started acting up. (I had had major surgery 6 months before.) I pulled into the Ellensburg WA ER. They took care of me, medicated me, suggested that I not drive until the next day, and helped me park and hook up in their lot.

The next morning I was good so I went home.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Prescriptions

We get our meds every 90 days. We have them shipped to where ever we are. If we are not in a semi-permanent address we have them shipped to a small post office we plan to be near in care of General Delivery.

We pick small postoffices because they are easier to deal with and less likely to misplace a package. Be sure to let the prescription service know it's shipping to a PO address.

An aternative is to have your prescriptions go thru Walmarts and you can pick them up all over North America.

As to blood tests there is usually a lab in all towns witha hospital. Generally we pick small towns and they will fax results to any doctor you want.

As to traveling medical services we've only needed a doctor's attention a couple of times. If it's a serious situation we call our home doctor and ask his to suggest some one (his idea). If it's relatively minor we ask someone in the campground for suggestions. That has worked well for both doctors and dentists.

Even if we're gone most of the year, we try to see our long time doctor once a year for consistancy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
Thanks for the replies. This greatly helps answer a lot of questions that we have for living in a camper.
PMWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming