Medication - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Medication

So how do fulltimers handle meds and healthcare? I have a plan and medicare, but get my meds through a patient assistance program. The company mails it to my doc every 3 months and I pick it up. Suggestions?

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Will they mail your meds to General Delivery at a post office near where you are staying. That is how we get our mail while away from home.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are multiple approaches to this problem depending on your prescription insurance.

With ours we can get our meds anywhere. We mostly use the insurance's central location and they send it where ever we want. If we're traveling about we use general delivery at small post offices.

You can also drop your prescriptions at a Walmart, CVS or ... and pick up your medications at any of their locations. We've done the latter with Walmarts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It's not been much of a problem for me, once I learned their system. When I order refills I can specify a one time delivery address. That one time address if I'm traveling is always General Delivery at a post office close to where I'm staying at the time. I usually have a few months more on hand in case there's some sort of problem. I can reorder 90 day supply every 60 days, so before we started traveling I managed about a 60 day cushion.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
One point on getting your meds at a chain pharmacy - If you have to switch pharmacies, you will likely lose any refills. If fact, in New York state, switching between locations even if they are the same chain, the refills are canceled.

Since Walgreens is the only pharmacy that claims to have a location in every state, (and some states have only one location) if you do lots of traveling it pays to ask your doctor(s) for multiple paper prescriptions for you can start over if you have to use a different pharmacy from your normal one.

There are also some pharmacies that will not fill an out of state prescription without talking with your doctor. I had this problem with a CVS out west, and because of the time zone differences, couldn't call to my doctor in the East.

Getting refills on a long trip can be challenging, even with the non "schedule" drugs, which are even more difficult. Even having them mailed to you can be a problem since I have 2 different eye drops that must be kept within a narrow temperature range. Since I tend to move every couple of days, finding a location to have drugs mailed to can also be difficult.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #6

Florida
As to cushions, on occasion I've had a doctor double my dosage from 1 pill a day to 2 pills a day. This allows me to build up a backup supply.

I explain how my life style is different and I need this kind of protection. It also provides me with the medication I need in case of some national problem, a more serious situation.

I asked him about the 'good till dates' on pills and he said that's really pretend. One time he gave me a prescription for gout, basically a one time medical event but I carried the pills for 7 years. One day I felt the onset of gout and took one, quickly gone.

This no medical suggestion just what my doctor told me. Of course there may be some meds that expire, ask your doctor about yours.

Like Byron I always have a backup for the key medications.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

Florida
We had a prescription at a NH Walmart, we were 1500 miles away at another Walmarts. They could not refill it instantly but made the call to the doctor without our intervention and had the meds in two days. Sometimes transferring prescriptions requires the pharmacy to do something beyond fill it.

We get most of our pills and mail by general delivery and have not had a single lost item in 15 years. We pick small town post offices. We probably get mail and meds no more than 10 times a year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Some Rx's, especially liquids, do have a shelf life.

Check on-line at the Mayo clinic web site or with your physician. Be sure to tell her that they may be exposed to higher than usual temps.

In certain meds may require an original script for a refill. Ask about the Schedule your meds are on and if an original script is needed, particularly in other states if you are travelling.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Check your private messages
Old 08-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Check your private messages
Not sure who you PMed but just FYI, Bob past away last January.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #11

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Not sure who you PMed but just FYI, Bob past away last January.
It was a message to Lisain Fl