Minimalization - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have Allstays on my tablet and I like it. It seems easy to use, and in the places I've looked at for campgrounds, it appears to cover all of them. For example, I was camping this summer on the MN "North Shore", so I had looked over the CGs thoroughly at that time; it seemed like Allstays had them all listed, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #22

Trailer: Pop-up
Registry
Just had to chime in here since I'm a techno-junky. I love, love, love my Droid Razr. Years ago, my husband drove a semi all over the country for weeks at a time. I can't imagine how hard it was for families to stay in contact before cell fons. And now that we're fulltiming in a 17' Casita, I'm having trouble remembering how we made it initially without my smart phone. I use it CONSTANTLY while we're traveling: GasBuddy for the cheapest gas near our location; weather app to see what to expect in the near future where we're heading; Maps for short cuts, exit numbers, & time/miles of a particular route, also to find Wal-Mart, pizza, post office; truck stop, or any other business where we are or will be; contacts (of course) to actually call friends/family (or order a pizza for pickup when we drive by); calendar for appointments/events I'll probably forget otherwise; alarm (if I HAVE to get up by a certain time); TV Listings (the app) to see what's on local "air" or cable TV; Satellite Director to find our DirecTV bird to aim the dish; read email/blogs wherever/whenever; access any free available wi-fi; TurboList (app) to 'dictate' items for unlimited lists (cause if it's not written somewere, I'll forget it otherwise); PageOnce (app) to access bank & other accounts quickly; DropBox to sync laptop & fon files;ZipCodeTools (app) to find our current zip code for various reasons; read current news if away from TV; oh, take an occasional photo if my camera isn't with me; Color Flashlight when it got dark walking back to the trailer; Air Horn if I need to scare someone or ask for help; read several kinds of ebooks; even watch missed TV programs (with free wi-fi). The list goes on for less frequent tasks. I now go days without opening up my laptop. I have a 12v fon charger in the truck to use when we're driving & a small inverter in the trailer if we don't have electricity.

OK. . .so maybe I'm a tad 'addicted', but my fon is never far away from me. Oh, I seldom text tho! As we live 'small', we look for multi-purpose, lightweight tools to keep us safe & happy - & a smart fon is a great tool to spend my limited funds on!
Casita Escapes blog & photo albums
GlendaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Has anyone tries Allstays Camp and RV program? It's available as a phone app listing campgrounds, BLM, COE and. National Forests.

If you used it please comment.
Interesting looking app. I see Canada and the US are included. I would love to hear more from others who have it. I much prefer the Forestry and Provincial/State campgrounds in most areas, and wonder if all these are listed, as some are quite small. The reviews are mostly good, and it sounds like they do updates fairly regularly. If it works good, one could easily save the $10 cost of the app in just one night.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am actually on my 3 or 4th? smart phone - Blackberry and I-phones. Had to start carrying a portable phone 24/7 due to my work back in early 80's when they were not the type you put in your pocket & not very portable ;-) Have replaced and upgraded phones ever 2 years or so since that time.

Love the smart phone as it means that when on a short 2 week trip or so I often dont carry my laptop - really not needed. If on a trip of a month or more then I might bring the lap top but use it mostly to process the photos I have taken.

There are a number of great travel apps I use a lot: Gasbuddy, Level, Flash Light, Weather, Currency Exchange, Google Translator, FGRV, an app called Mela's Tools that gives me the conversion for lengths, weights and areas etc when I forget how to calculate the US way of doing things ;-) A few good Bird and plant apps for ID'ing them. One of my fav apps is called Star Walk - point the phone at the sky and it will tell you what stars you are looking at. Very Cool!

Regarding using a smart phone instead of a dedicated GPS all I can say is for me based on past experiences that may not be a great idea for a number of reasons:

1) I travel a lot in 2 counties (and more) & when outside my home country I need to buy a travel data plan but even with it I am still charged for data usage all be it at a reduced rate and a smart phone GPS sucks back data - you can eat up more than a dedicated GPS is worth in just a few days of use even with the lower rate travel plan. With a dedicated portable GPS you can take it to just about an developed county in the world and use it with no data plan needed. Just need to down load the map of the country you are going into the GPS before you go.

2) If you are traveling on your own having to look at your phone to push buttons is not a good thing. Even if not on your own if you have a co pilot who is directionally challenged even with map or phone in their lap the GPS goes a long why to help keeping friendships in good standing. ;-)

2) I have found the GPS on both my Blackberry and Iphones to be more than a little wanting on many occasions. Sometimes very slow to refresh and you may find you have passed where you are going before it even shows up on the screen. The situation is the worst in areas with limited cellular coverage - in many areas you may as well throw the phone away if you were hoping to use it for GPS. The most current Iphone GPS is the worst yet - very wanting - it gets lost in downtown Vancouver. If I only had a phone GPS I would stick to the Google based app as of the two its the better but still not a great option IMHO for driving.

3) Hands free - a lot of places have laws prohibiting the use of phones while driving. You cant have the phone even in your hand. My GPS is blue tooth so it connects with my smart phone while its still in my pocket, without me having to do anything every time I get in the car. It instantly downloads my current contacts etc from the phone into the GPS - so if I want to call someone I just have to say call so and so and it does it. Or if the phone rings the GPS tells me on screen who is calling and I can answer the call using my voice only. Same with text messages they just appear on the screen. Dont need to even touch the GPS.

4) Most of the better blue tooth GPS's can be the best co-pilot you can have in so far as telling you what exit to take to the nearest gas station or grocery store by brand or even the closest state park for camping. All without having to take your hands off the wheel to push a button.

Love my smart phone but if I had to choose between taking a dedicated GPS vs a smart phone on a trip I would take the GPS every time. One can always stop at a library to check their email.

As far as I am concerned the dedicated blue tooth GPS was the best $125 I ever spent for travel.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"As far as I am concerned the dedicated blue tooth GPS was the best $125 I ever spent for travel."
A nice set of maps can be had for $8.00 and they will never lead you astray.
The 2013 Road Atlas (Rand Mcnally Road Atlas: United States, Canada, Mexico): Rand McNally and Company: 9780528006227: Amazon.com: Books
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #26

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
What about service plans? I've had T-mobile for years and the last couple of trips I've had less than stellar service in areas where it used to be good. My significant other has Sprint and it is ok while in the city, is very affordable, but get on the back roads out west where we live and the service is lacking. I used to have Verizon several years ago and had great service everywhere but at that time it was the most expensive. What do you guys have and do you like it?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"As far as I am concerned the dedicated blue tooth GPS was the best $125 I ever spent for travel."
A nice set of maps can be had for $8.00 and they will never lead you astray.
The 2013 Road Atlas (Rand Mcnally Road Atlas: United States, Canada, Mexico): Rand McNally and Company: 9780528006227: Amazon.com: Books

Yes I have one and they are good for when your sitting at a table or campfire for planning but not great to be reading while driving
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ginny is a map person but today we used the phones very good gps to get to our son's cottage in Maine. It worked very well. A friend said the google GPS was better than his standalone GPS. Really the phone one is are only one ever and worked well.

We'll hang on to our maps but Ginny really liked the new GPS.

We've only had Verizon. Most long range RVers seem to favor Verizon because it seems to work virtually every where we travel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
A friend said the google GPS was better than his standalone GPS. Really the phone one is are only one ever and worked well..
Norm whether you realize it or not your phone GPS is actually using Googles map base - even if you dont have the Google Maps app. All the smart phones pretty well use google maps for their built in GPS systems or at least they did up until a month or so ago when Apple decided to brake away from the norm and part ways with Google and start their own map system from scratch which is why there new phone has GPS issues
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #30

Florida
I didrecognize that it was Google and you are correct it is very good. Apple admits theie 'maps' problem, at least the admission is positive. I'm sure Apple will figure it out.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
I didrecognize that it was Google and you are correct it is very good. Apple admits theie 'maps' problem, at least the admission is positive. I'm sure Apple will figure it out.
The problem with Apple and their new GPS is'nt going to get fixed anytime soon and they have pretty well admitted it. It took years for Google to develop the map system they have and it required lots of user input over the years - down loading map corrections etc. Thus the reason I suggest that those with an older iphone not up grade their operating system to the newest one or if they do they need to down load the Google Map app and us it - which funny enough is Apple's own suggested solution to the problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #32

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Motion x GPS for iPhone. Dead on with garmin and Magellan.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #33

Florida
Apps

For most of the power smart phone users this may not be too helpful but for those older like us it might provide a little insight to the possibilities.

After 3 days I've added a bunch of apps

Tracks- go on a hike or bike ride and it keeps a record of your route

Night Clock - creates a bed side clock, stays on all night, any color display that I can read without my glasses.

Fiberglass RV

Gas Buddy - tracks our location and gives us local gas stations and prices

B & N Nook - my library every where, allows reading while waiting anytime.

Tune in Radio - tracks where we are and lists radio stations, about 70 where we live as well as police and fire bands.

Skype - no cost video phone

Speed Test - tells me down and upload speed of wireless. At home 3G is 2=3 Mb down and 1-1.5 Mb up; 4G is 15.5 Mb down and 5.5 Mb up. 4G really zooms.

SportsTap - Tells scores and news for virtually every sport.

C:Geo - GeoCache program. haven't tried yet, still looking for the best.

Google Drive - Google documents, word processor, spreadsheet and storage.

Noodles - a simple list program, really nice, multiple list possible and cross off items with a swipe of the finger.

Flashlight - simple but really good, uses the camera's flash Led and is really bright.

That's what we've added so far. There are probably a couple dozen more that come on the phone, some to be deleted and some to be used like Google Maps. There is one named Local that provides info on restaurants, banks, .... for where ever you are. Really nice because you don't have to type in where you are.

Some are really useful because they are linked to our lists of friends and automatically notify of their birthdays, linking directly to the calendar.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16