Mounting a Grill - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: Erik
Trailer: Currently Shopping In the Market
Wisconsin
Mounting a Grill

Preparing to do some full time Scampin' and am trying to find some sort of swing mount for above the tongue and propane tank to mount our grill to. I am having trouble finding anything like this and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. In my mind all it would really be is a cylinder attached to the tongue with another cylinder that can pivot and that the grill can mount to. I am thinking it could lock in to place with a pin that when removed the grill can swivel so that the grill will open parallel to the side of the Scamp. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Erik V.
Erik in Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Amazon.com: Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill: Automotive

I use one like this!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I attach a small table (about two feet wide by a foot and a half deep) to the back curb side of the trailer. I place my grill on that. Bought a set mounting rails from the rv place for about $5. Added a support leg to brace the table. It's pretty much what the popups use to mount the stove outside. Need a flat run of trailer side so to not put a curve in the mounting rail which would make it impossible to attach the table mounted rail. Won't help you at the front though.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If I had to reinvent the wheel I would start at your marine supply. Bass Pro, Cabellas ETC.
I would us an offset seat post, seat base and mount a lower socket on the frame of the trailer. easy to remove when not needed and will look good without much effort.

Amazon.com: Springfield Marine 1640401 Offset Extension for Spring lock Series: Sports & Outdoors
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Erik, I have a grill for my pontoon boat. It has a 2" table pole mount bracket on the bottom of it. And a 2" base mount. You can use the same style base.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-BLACK-met...e0aec3&vxp=mtr

http://www.rvpartsdealer.com/c-9145-...FeoWMgodDX0ACw
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why do you want to mount it? What's wrong with putting it on a table, or on the ground?
What do you do to shield it from the wind if it's mounted on the trailer?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I mounted a side table on the Casita for a couple reasons;

I like a level grill so eggs don’t run off the griddle and the grease channel for bacon and such flows the right way (into the catch basin). I was spending time leveling the picnic table but it finally occurred to me that the trailer was already level. Not the biggest issue I face but I often find the small things annoy me the most.

I found an unobtrusive mount at an RV store for about $5.

I mounted it under the trailer awning for protection while cooking in a drizzle. I don’t normally bring a separate awning for over the picnic table. Sometimes I can’t drag the picnic table under the trailer awning.

Nor do I carry a separate table for the stove, although I’ve seen some nice ones with telescoping legs.

As I alluded to, I’ve been to campgrounds with picnic tables that I can’t move either by design (the stupid cement ones at LBL) or they’re too heavy. Everything I set up, I have to take down. No one to delegate to. Hanging a shelf takes less than a minute including finding it under the stuff that travels on the bed.

So, it works for me.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Excellent point about the level trailer, Steve. Even though I use a 2'x4' folding table for food prep under our awning, there are times when the ground makes it impossible to level (and thus, use).

Erik, I googled sailboat grill mount (because I've seen them on boats before) and found
Grillamount, the Ultimate marine grill mounting system
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
This bumper mount style is kind of interesting.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Did you see the over the hitch swing out bar and grill table that Flygal made. It even had an umbrella holder!

Lots of pictures of her mod in the thread Front Hitch Tike Bar Table
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Did you see the over the hitch swing out bar and grill table that Flygal made. It even had an umbrella holder!

Lots of pictures of her mod in the thread Front Hitch Tike Bar Table
Carol beat me to it. I saw Flygal's grill table at the Spring NOG 2013. Very, very nice!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Carol beat me to it. I saw Flygal's grill table at the Spring NOG 2013. Very, very nice!
Yup it was sad to see her little bar roll away when she sold that trailer.... hoping she comes up with something as creative for her new trailer real soon
Old 03-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Way cool. Love that umbrella too.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Doesn't anyone see the problem here? Why would someone want to cook near their propane tank, isn't that like using your propane grill inside your garage? I like to keep flame and heat and flammable items away from my home not attached to it? The further away the less chance you your mobile home will be damaged by unfortunate accident. To me cooking on top of your propane tank next to your other propane tank is dangerous.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #15

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Not at all dangerous. Millions of propane grills are configured this way. Some have the bottle attached on the side. Propane is heavier than air and sinks. It is dangerous in a confined area, not out in the open. I use it on a boat...now that is dangerous.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Jim,
Isn't that grill/tank setup the same as every home portable grill?
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Doesn't anyone see the problem here? Why would someone want to cook near their propane tank, isn't that like using your propane grill inside your garage?
Don't see any difference in safety issues between this and my home BQ with two large tanks sitting right under it right up against my home on a wooden deck.

In the case of Flygal's set up the table for the grill is even safer than my home BQ as the table swings out so that the BQ isn't actually sitting over the tanks.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
For me, the issue would be that you have to move the whole trailer to shield the BBQ from the wind. I'd rather just move the BBQ to the lee side.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The difference is at home you lose your grill if there is an accident unless it is too close to your home then you lose everything.
http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/p...s/v2i3-508.pdf
Old 03-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The difference is at home you lose your grill if there is an accident unless it is too close to your home then you lose everything.
http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/p...s/v2i3-508.pdf
Yup but still don't see the difference in risk although the value of the loss would be higher in one case than the other - but heck thats what we all pay the big bucks each year for insurance for isn't it? You can loose your home or you could loose your trailer (your traveling home). Seems as I said pretty well the same safety risk level either way.

Interestingly enough most new homes in my area all have direct connection to the gas via an outside wall mount meaning the BQ in most cases is right beside the homes outside wall, many of them have built in BQ's located on an outside wall of the home. This is permitted under the building code and many/most of them are located on large wooden or vinyl decks with homes with wood siding.

The link you posted provided a conclusion as to cause of most BQ fires & injuries, which suggests the leading cause of trouble is lack of maintenance & not necessarily the location of the tank or the BQ:

"CONCLUSION
Many outdoor grill fires could be prevented through periodic maintenance and routine product inspection. Also, homeowners should be made aware of the need for vigilance while cooking on a grill."