My first three weeks as a full timer... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Same data limits (5GB/month)
The broadband service is unlimited.. not 5g. BUT.. if you read the fine print, they do get a little annoyed at file sharers, webcam servers and frequent movie downloading.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Verizon's fine print for the so-called 'unlimited' broadband service plan with a data card indeed specify 5GB/mo, in fact the Data Plan now carries the 5GB name -- All of Verizon's broadband services now have that limit, as do other major carriers, like Sprint and AT&T.

You may find that in the contract they printed as part of your service agreement when you first signed up. If you look at the table of examples in the VZW link below, you will see that they are all keyed to 5GB (And you'll notice that they didn't put movies in the table).

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...+broadband+plan

I did notice that VZW now offers the data card plan on a month-to-month basis as well as one- and two-year contracts.

Here's the fine print for Sprint:

"Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (K, megabytes (M or gigabytes (G. Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB."

AT&T comes right out and calls theirs a 5GB Plan:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-ser...nnect-plans.jsp

I would find the 5GB limit to be a bummer were I still a Full Timer because I would like to watch a movie or two by downloading from Netflix or one of the networks and I would quickly exceed the limits.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
don't know what ta tell ya Pete.. that is not my plan and my contract has no limits stated. however, it does list the restrictions I stated above.

here is my plan.. had it for several years. Long enough that I am no longer ON a contract.. I am month to month

Click image for larger version

Name:	verizon.gif
Views:	54
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	19462

I think Mike has the same plan I do.. Mike, have they ever argued about your usage?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
if you are looking at long life for a laptop battery charge, you may consider one of the Netbooks. I recently purchased the Acer Aspire One d250

[b]The DISADVANTAGE is that it does not have a CD drive, but with jump drives and SD cards, it is hardly missed. I did have to get a small USB CD drive to load in the Office app.. it didn't like being copied to a jump drive for installation. Thats the only issue I had with loading software.. all else I had installed from my jump drive easily.
Monica, good for you and your initiative. Good luck and safe travels.

Gina, Monica and others don't forget your venerable old iPod as a storage device, if you own one. It's also a mini hard drive if you have it configured as such.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #25

Gina, you may have been grandfathered in -- The 5GB limit is something they came out with only a couple of years ago, probably because of abuse and agreement between the carriers to not overload the trunking networks.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Although, you do have to wonder how someone can abuse an unlimited contract...

I think Gina's contract probably isn't offered anymore though, as you say, to save "bandwidth."
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 73 Boler
you guys in the states have it pretty easy with the data card interent. It just came out in canada last year! it seems like we are always a few years behind with the technology, probably because we don't have the population to support it. I feel like i might be getting the shaft cause my contract has me at 500 mb per month! (luckily its only 30 bucks) ohh well, i suppose the technology will catch up eventually! Mine certainly isn't as fast as dsl, but hell, i'll take what i can get at this point!
Steveo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Good for you. I've been following your postings on the other thread. It appears that there are good people willing to help, which is nice to know. With regard to staying in the motel parking lots: While I am presuming that you asked for permission first, has the response always been positive?
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Although, you do have to wonder how someone can abuse an unlimited contract...

I think Gina's contract probably isn't offered anymore though, as you say, to save "bandwidth."
I think they found it was a mistake to offer unlimited data use in terms of the network starting to clog from uses the service providers didn't predict, so they set a cap on usage. Most users will likely not even come close to hitting the 5GB cap (Movies being the exception to that).
Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Monica:
What items did you decide to "weed out"?

How are you recharging your laptop?

Thanks for the Motel 6/Super 8 info. That's good to remember. I didn't know that at all

Florida is 70 MPH but most do 80 while I poke along with tow at about 55, always looking out for that single-finger, friendly wave from those passing me.Texas is 80 MPH?
Well, I weeded out two comforters, three sets of sheets, one big bath robe, a step for my door in a box that wouldn't fit my trailer that was in here when I got it, an alarm clock (what was I thinking?) and a few smaller items that I can't remember right now.

Yep, TX is 80mph and 65 at night. Big rigs are 70 and 65 at night. You won't catch me doing even 70, I figure with the 15" tires, 65 is my max, but slower if it is more comfortable for me. They can go around me!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Hi, If you found Eloy, you really are off the beaten path - amazing - went to high school down the road.

When you stay in a motel's parking lot, do you ask first or just park?

I also am interested in what you found was unneccessary. Through the years, I've done a lot of camping and car travel with my dog and learning of another's solo coping is helpful. Thanks for posts.
Pat
I asked at the Motel 6, just cause I was confused, but at the Super 8 I just parked near the big rigs in the gravel lot. Seems that is what they are there for...
Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Here's a tip for you and your laptop. Purchase a little 75 watt inverter that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter in your vehicle. Then, plug the laptop into it, charging while you drive. When you stop you can plug the inverter into the trailer DC plug and charge the laptop as well as use any other AC items that uses less than 75 watts.

You'll find them in guess where. WalMart auto section. I have several inverters. They are not that expense and often you find a 2 pack that's even cheaper. The bigger inverters, size wise, that have a short cord attached to the plug usually have a fan which is noisy. I've found that the small 75 that plugs directly into the outlet works for all I use.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I purchase a DC splitter which I plug into the cigarette lighter in the Jeep then I can charge both the laptop and cell phone at the same time while driving. I only use on inverter for the laptop the cell phone has a DC charger.
Thanks for the info, I have a WalMart shopping list going and have added that to it.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Another way to go is to get a 12v charger/cord for your laptop. It's a bit more efficient than going through the 110 and then back. I have one made by Targus, but there are other brands too. I do have one of those small cigarette lighter 110 inverters (that Joy mentions) for back-up, as they're so inexpensive.

So how does it work with those motels? You just go in and ask and they let you use the parking lot and all the conveniences (ice, coffee....... wi-fi?) for free? Did they ask for a fee? If not, did you compensate them anyway? I ask because I'm not very bold about those things, but if I knew "the ropes" I might be.

And yes, what are you eliminating? We're curious!

Raya
I don't think at these places with trucking parking you need to ask, at the Motel 6 the real nice woman said "Oh we don't care!" I think it is just meant to be a convience for the truckers (and me ), I did use the ice machine at each for one bucket of ice and their soda machines. I didn't load up my ice chest or anything or use the laundry facilities, for that I would have asked. There are no fees and I didn't offer anything.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Here in Texas, the speed limit for vehicles towing travel trailers is 60 in the daytime and 55 at night. The 80 mph is for "the rest." Though our state could use your hard earned money in the form of a traffic ticket fine, I would honor the posted speed limit for travel trailers. Enjoy your travels!
I never saw a sign for travel trailers, just "trucks", and I was being passed by really fast moving vehicles towing, and by big rigs, as I was doing 60 or 65. I will google the laws here shortly and just make sure I am not speeding, not that I don't want to contribute to your coffers, but...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Monica,

Congratulations on your first three weeks . . . your confidence will continue to grow and it will get easier and better and "funner" the more you motor on down the road (at 55-60 mph where life is more relaxed and safe for us little trailer people). How are you connecting to the web? Wifi, or do you use an air data card to plug into your laptop? When do we log onto your blog??????
Yep, I am getting better, learned to plan on driving only about 5 hrs a day as to account for gas/potty stops, and breakdown/setup of camp. I don't need to hurry anywhere, don't know what I was thinking, must be that CA mentality I chose to leave behind . Don't know about my blog yet, got to do some research on free blogging sites, don't need an extra expense right now. I use an air card from AT&T, it is $60 a month, but I feel I need it.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Congratulations on ur first three weeks.
Love to hear more about the 13 days in the desert and pics!!

Be safe and keep ramblin along. Very interested to hear all the escapees details when you hit there.
Ah, the desert, it was very windy and when it wasn't windy pretty hot with minimal shade during the hottest part of the day. I learned to make shade by opening the back of my SUV and that created some. If you will instruct me on how to post a pic, I would be glad too.

What would you like to know about escapees? I have a huge packet they gave me I still have to go through.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #37

Quote:
I am in the same boat these days, have been full timing since march 30th, but i'm up in southern British Columbia. I envy you being down south and enjoying warmer weather. It's still dropping below 0C here (makes for some chlly nights). It is amazing how long a deep cycle battery will run a laptop with the inverter. I think they are an absolute must!

If you don't already have the data card for your laptop, that is also an incredibly handy thing to have. Sometimes i find myself feeling a bit lonely and the interent anywhere i go is a nice comfort to have.

I was parked at a motel here in southern BC and politely (or not so politely) asked (told) to leave as it was private property! hahaha. OOPS! Guess i should have asked first!

how long are you planning on full timing?
I think the trick (here in the US) is to find these motels that are near truck stops and have the gravel lots for truckers to park. I wouldn't risk just parking in the lot of any motel...LOL

As far as how long I am planning to full time, well, until I figure I don't want to do it anymore, could be the rest of my life, could be 5, 10, 20 years, I just don't know yet. This is my plan for now...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If you will instruct me on how to post a pic, I would be glad too.
I'd love to see some pictures of your trailers. See the Tutorials for all kinds of stuff here:
Basic Website Tutorials. Some of the picture ones are slightly out of date, but if you look at your screen and follow the information you'll find "like" buttons.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #39

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	19562

Here I am in the desert!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #40

Here is my egg at South Llano River State Park, a great park, very beautiful!

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	19564