New? Are you full timing on Social Security? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #101

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I must have a different idea of what retirement is .Retiring from my full time job that pays well and has benefits to take a low paying job , that has no benefits , to me is not retiring . Taking a campground host's job for 4 months is not traveling in my book ,it is only moving your work place to a different location. If I had to camp in the middle of nowhere with no facilities because that is all I can afford then I would rather stay home where I have plumbing / electricity and keep working. Waiting until you are at retirement age and to then start figuring out that you don't have enough income to retire makes no sense to me. When I retired in my early 60's the last thing I wanted to do was be a greeter at Walmart. To each their own but most of this thread makes absolutely no logical sense to me !!

PS : I started a retirement account when I was 17 years old at the advice of my father. 50 years later I still have that account .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #102

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I must have a different idea of what retirement is ...
You might also have a very different reality from the person who chose the thread title: "Are you full timing on Social Security?"

Social Security is usually not much income. Congrats on your savings discipline.. I wish everyone were so farsighted.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #103

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
You might also have a very different reality from the person who chose the thread title: "Are you full timing on Social Security?"

Social Security is usually not much income. Congrats on your savings discipline.. I wish everyone were so farsighted.
I was not farsighted at 17 but my Father WAS. When I was a kid I watched my neighbor try to live on SS alone and her having to choose between buying her prescription drugs or food . She chose food and ended up dying prematurely because of it.
The reality is that trying to live off SS is difficult and sometimes leads to unpleasant or dangerous choices. Social Security was never intended to be the total source of ones retirement income and social security never hid that fact. We only travel when we have the spare money in hand to pay for our trip. If we can't afford it ,we stay home. I refuse to travel by pushing the costs down the road by using my credit card. I am too frugal / cheap to do that.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #104

Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
Sorry, I accidentally posted early. They would go to Aransas, Tx. They grew old and health concerns forced them to buy a 60 ft trailer in a park near Lansing, MI, close to their kids. At this point the gal was really happy to have a home again after about 20 yrs and the man was senile. It worked for them and they lived on a shoestring but one size doesn't fit all.
We did spend 4 months in our Scamp last year. We tried to use federal parks whenever possible. Craters of the Moon nat monument cost us $5 a night. When we got to Yellowstone it was full and we camped 1 night just outside of the park for about $40. Most National Parks ran about $16 a night. We found it easy to get a camping site at National and State Parks on Sunday - Thursday but weekends often need about 3-4 week in advance reservation. In popular spots during peak season it is nearly impossible to get into some Parks. Ortuna Lock Corps of Engineers Park is an example, in southern Florida. Private parks can be expensive but monthly stays are much cheaper. We get about 15 miles to the gallon towing and about 22 when unhooked. We have an outdoor grill which I use often. A 1 lb canister will grill 8-10 times. We hit the stores about every 3 days or so to provision. We often eat out when we're on a trip shopping.
Full timing on Social Security is probably possible for most. Traveling in a Scamp is travelling "small". We were the smallest trailer at most every private park we stayed at. Social Security alone just means a bit smaller.
I find an AARP study that put the median SS income for a male in 2012 at $16,295 and a woman at $11,999. Thats about $28,000/yr. Half of us would have more and half less. I think it's doable for those in the middle and above. Again, one size doesn't fit all.
What kind of tow vehicle are you using?
Solowalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #105

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
SS as a Single Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
Sorry, I accidentally posted early. They would go to Aransas, Tx. They grew old and health concerns forced them to buy a 60 ft trailer in a park near Lansing, MI, close to their kids. At this point the gal was really happy to have a home again after about 20 yrs and the man was senile. It worked for them and they lived on a shoestring but one size doesn't fit all.
We did spend 4 months in our Scamp last year. We tried to use federal parks whenever possible. Craters of the Moon nat monument cost us $5 a night. When we got to Yellowstone it was full and we camped 1 night just outside of the park for about $40. Most National Parks ran about $16 a night. We found it easy to get a camping site at National and State Parks on Sunday - Thursday but weekends often need about 3-4 week in advance reservation. In popular spots during peak season it is nearly impossible to get into some Parks. Ortuna Lock Corps of Engineers Park is an example, in southern Florida. Private parks can be expensive but monthly stays are much cheaper. We get about 15 miles to the gallon towing and about 22 when unhooked. We have an outdoor grill which I use often. A 1 lb canister will grill 8-10 times. We hit the stores about every 3 days or so to provision. We often eat out when we're on a trip shopping.
Full timing on Social Security is probably possible for most. Traveling in a Scamp is travelling "small". We were the smallest trailer at most every private park we stayed at. Social Security alone just means a bit smaller.
I find an AARP study that put the median SS income for a male in 2012 at $16,295 and a woman at $11,999. Thats about $28,000/yr. Half of us would have more and half less. I think it's doable for those in the middle and above. Again, one size doesn't fit all.
These numbers look good until you consider trying to do that as a solo traveller!