New? Are you full timing on Social Security? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Posts: 148
Registry
i'm a retired single half timer and social security is my main source of income. my camp hosting takes care of about half the time i'm away and roaming consumes the other half (is that too many halves?). anyway...here's my take on camp hosting. first of all, there's no "entry level" since hosting is a single level gig. you're either a host or you're not. one thing to remember is it's volunteering and that's more important than you might think. when i started the hosting stuff i never expected the reward that i felt from helping out. all those government agencies that provide camping facilities really need help what with budgetary cuts, etc. and a lot of folks benefit (campers) from your helping. you build relationships with the agency staff (most are nice) and the campers who are mostly nice also. i'll be returning next spring for my fifth year at one small park on the cost of sc and i'm already looking forward. you're not gonna make any money from all this and can only hope for a free site with hookups. for that you have minimal duties and a pretty open schedule. i choose where i want to host by location mostly. last october was spent in the mountains of maryland watching fall happen from one spot. it was amazing. it's been my experience that when dealing with the government, references from other agencies are not a big deal. mostly, the agency you're applying to is concerned about you passing the background check, doesn't matter if you had the same check by another agency they want or need to have their own "paperwork" (it is government after all). steer clear of facilities operated by concessionaires. the profit motive is a big deal and they try to maximize the return on their investment in you (and are most likely to be the places that insist on couples for hosting). i feel like if you'll need to conform to corporate mentality you may as well get paid for it and should look at some of the private campgrounds that actually pay you for being there and doing odd jobs.

full time hosting will save you some bucks by not having a stick & brick place but, eventually you'll feel the need not to host and then you'll have to to pony up some rent for a site. that's why i still have a house. sort of a spot to regroup & maintain. i've lived here for over 35 years and it's not all that expensive to keep. i have a room mate and his rent helps defray my overhead plus there's someone here while i'm gone to guard my treasures.

so...perhaps a good approach would be to seek a hosting position at a place you'd like to be for a month or two and give it a try before making any lifestyle changes...try it on, see if it fits then take it from there?

p@
__________________

__________________
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
... first of all, there's no "entry level" since hosting is a single level gig. you're either a host or you're not. ..
Perhaps it is a word choice that is hanging us up here.. I was comparing camp hosting at Henderson Beach State park on the gulf coast of the Florida Panhandle with camp hosting at a place that felt they had to distribute flyers at different parks to attract applicants. I understand that the former is a VERY popular place for hosts and it is hard to get a position there. When you need a place to stay, perhaps its better to accept a less popular place (AKA entry-level location).
__________________

__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #101
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
I must have a different idea of what retirement is .Retiring from my full time job that pays well and has benefits to take a low paying job , that has no benefits , to me is not retiring . Taking a campground host's job for 4 months is not traveling in my book ,it is only moving your work place to a different location. If I had to camp in the middle of nowhere with no facilities because that is all I can afford then I would rather stay home where I have plumbing / electricity and keep working. Waiting until you are at retirement age and to then start figuring out that you don't have enough income to retire makes no sense to me. When I retired in my early 60's the last thing I wanted to do was be a greeter at Walmart. To each their own but most of this thread makes absolutely no logical sense to me !!

PS : I started a retirement account when I was 17 years old at the advice of my father. 50 years later I still have that account .
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #102
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I must have a different idea of what retirement is ...
You might also have a very different reality from the person who chose the thread title: "Are you full timing on Social Security?"

Social Security is usually not much income. Congrats on your savings discipline.. I wish everyone were so farsighted.
__________________
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #103
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
You might also have a very different reality from the person who chose the thread title: "Are you full timing on Social Security?"

Social Security is usually not much income. Congrats on your savings discipline.. I wish everyone were so farsighted.
I was not farsighted at 17 but my Father WAS. When I was a kid I watched my neighbor try to live on SS alone and her having to choose between buying her prescription drugs or food . She chose food and ended up dying prematurely because of it.
The reality is that trying to live off SS is difficult and sometimes leads to unpleasant or dangerous choices. Social Security was never intended to be the total source of ones retirement income and social security never hid that fact. We only travel when we have the spare money in hand to pay for our trip. If we can't afford it ,we stay home. I refuse to travel by pushing the costs down the road by using my credit card. I am too frugal / cheap to do that.
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #104
Member
 
Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
Sorry, I accidentally posted early. They would go to Aransas, Tx. They grew old and health concerns forced them to buy a 60 ft trailer in a park near Lansing, MI, close to their kids. At this point the gal was really happy to have a home again after about 20 yrs and the man was senile. It worked for them and they lived on a shoestring but one size doesn't fit all.
We did spend 4 months in our Scamp last year. We tried to use federal parks whenever possible. Craters of the Moon nat monument cost us $5 a night. When we got to Yellowstone it was full and we camped 1 night just outside of the park for about $40. Most National Parks ran about $16 a night. We found it easy to get a camping site at National and State Parks on Sunday - Thursday but weekends often need about 3-4 week in advance reservation. In popular spots during peak season it is nearly impossible to get into some Parks. Ortuna Lock Corps of Engineers Park is an example, in southern Florida. Private parks can be expensive but monthly stays are much cheaper. We get about 15 miles to the gallon towing and about 22 when unhooked. We have an outdoor grill which I use often. A 1 lb canister will grill 8-10 times. We hit the stores about every 3 days or so to provision. We often eat out when we're on a trip shopping.
Full timing on Social Security is probably possible for most. Traveling in a Scamp is travelling "small". We were the smallest trailer at most every private park we stayed at. Social Security alone just means a bit smaller.
I find an AARP study that put the median SS income for a male in 2012 at $16,295 and a woman at $11,999. Thats about $28,000/yr. Half of us would have more and half less. I think it's doable for those in the middle and above. Again, one size doesn't fit all.
What kind of tow vehicle are you using?
__________________
Solowalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Posts: 118
Registry
SS as a Single Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
Sorry, I accidentally posted early. They would go to Aransas, Tx. They grew old and health concerns forced them to buy a 60 ft trailer in a park near Lansing, MI, close to their kids. At this point the gal was really happy to have a home again after about 20 yrs and the man was senile. It worked for them and they lived on a shoestring but one size doesn't fit all.
We did spend 4 months in our Scamp last year. We tried to use federal parks whenever possible. Craters of the Moon nat monument cost us $5 a night. When we got to Yellowstone it was full and we camped 1 night just outside of the park for about $40. Most National Parks ran about $16 a night. We found it easy to get a camping site at National and State Parks on Sunday - Thursday but weekends often need about 3-4 week in advance reservation. In popular spots during peak season it is nearly impossible to get into some Parks. Ortuna Lock Corps of Engineers Park is an example, in southern Florida. Private parks can be expensive but monthly stays are much cheaper. We get about 15 miles to the gallon towing and about 22 when unhooked. We have an outdoor grill which I use often. A 1 lb canister will grill 8-10 times. We hit the stores about every 3 days or so to provision. We often eat out when we're on a trip shopping.
Full timing on Social Security is probably possible for most. Traveling in a Scamp is travelling "small". We were the smallest trailer at most every private park we stayed at. Social Security alone just means a bit smaller.
I find an AARP study that put the median SS income for a male in 2012 at $16,295 and a woman at $11,999. Thats about $28,000/yr. Half of us would have more and half less. I think it's doable for those in the middle and above. Again, one size doesn't fit all.
These numbers look good until you consider trying to do that as a solo traveller!
__________________

__________________
BarbinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full timing on social security? kirkman Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 32 11-28-2015 08:40 AM
Full Timing "Great New Opportunities" Joy A Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 13 10-12-2015 05:21 PM
What lessons have you learned full-timing? CynicalSailor Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer 39 08-05-2015 03:09 PM
Social Security Only - Nomadic Retirement offroad General Chat 7 03-20-2014 08:02 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.