New? Are you full timing on Social Security? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We retired at 58 to RV (with no previous experience). The death of two friends was the catalyst.

One piece of advice came from my mother in law and another from the death of my dad when he was 45. My mother in law told me the golden years are not so golden. My father's death told me life is short.

I believe in do 'it' know or face never doing 'it'.

We made our choice and are extremely happy with it. Everyone must make their own choices. Gather your data and choose.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #22

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I think Glenn makes a good point. If you go into retirement with debt then whatever you decide to do is going to be more difficult than if you retire debt free. Can you full time in a tiny trailer on just Social Security? Sure! It all depends on how creative you are and what you feel you need/want.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #23

Florida
There are different kinds of debt. The one kind you definitely do not want is credit card debt. We use credit cards for most purchases but pay them off each month.

Most full timers eliminate the home so that disappears.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Norm has some good points. The one we like most is "Will you like it" (full timing). We know we would not, but we do the snowbird thing for 4 months. A high school classmate just sold their house and thinks he and his wife are going to full time with a camper. Another classmate and I think they won't last more than 2 years if that. Time will tell.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #25

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Having a budget and sticking to it is very important. I'm an accountant by trade (no jokes please) so budgeting is second nature to me. I know how much money is coming in each month and how much is going out. This has allowed me to retire early and live well on a smallish income. I've learned to say no to myself. No! I can't afford to go out to dinner this week...
There are always unexpected expenses, of course, like car repairs, dental emergencies, vet bills, etc. But with a good budget you can put aside a few dollars a month for such things. And many posters here are providing great suggestions for cutting costs.
OK. I'm preaching, sorry!
Anyway, I do have friends and acquaintances who live on small incomes (anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 a month) (I know, depends on your definition of "small") and they seem to do well.
In French we don't offer someone "good luck". Instead we say "good courage". So, good courage for your retirement plans!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #26

Florida
Bob,

When we started we expected to travel for only 3 years, thinking we'd see it all in that time period. Of course you never can see it all.

After 15 years of travel I think fulltiming or extended travels is not about seeing it all but rather about 'a life change'. I suspect that you're right, most people, or should I say most couples, may find the change difficult.

We have a rather simple view of life....as long as we're together we're fine. One of the true benefits is all the time together.

Another reality is selling your house and resetting your lifestyle, even if you give up your travels, can still be a good choice. It's interesting how we lead our selves into difficult situations, too much stuff, too much lawn, too much.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2015, 07:02 AM   #27

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Norm has some good points. The one we like most is "Will you like it" (full timing). We know we would not, but we do the snowbird thing for 4 months. A high school classmate just sold their house and thinks he and his wife are going to full time with a camper. Another classmate and I think they won't last more than 2 years if that. Time will tell.

But even if it is only for 2 years what a great experience they will have

Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #28

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i became really tired of trying to figure out how to maximize my retirement and switched to trying to figure out how to live (and travel) with what i could get. i'm happy to report that i can live on a modest ss benefit (not nearly $7k) along with savings. i currently maintain a house and live in the casita about half the time. the one thing that makes it possible is that i really have no debt. i don't need a lot and feel sure i could full time solo with my meager retirement income.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
But even if it is only for 2 years what a great experience they will have

My opinion is based on knowing this couple personally. When after a week of camping the wife makes the statement she can't wait to get back in her bed at home, how well is she going to adapt to having no home to go back to. We travel with a plan made in advance, they have none. The husband likes to keep busy and up to now didn't want to stop working at his current age of 69. It's going to be a real big change for the both of them. As for Norm's statement of "too much stuff", that's me for sure, but it really doesn't bother me, gives me something to do and keeps me active. I am working at gradually selling off stuff I don't need.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #30

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
One suggestion that I haven't seen offered....or maybe I overlooked it...is someone who owns a home can rent it out while they try out full-timing. The rent received should cover any mortgage and insurance costs.

That way they will still have a home to return to if full-timing doesn't work out.

I'd suggest that a person wishing to do that considering letting a Real Estate Broker. who manages Rental Property, manage the property for you. They should properly screen any renters to ensure that the rent is paid!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #31
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My parents were raised during the great depression. Their experiences and behavior had a big influence on me. Early on I learned that when I worked I was trading hours of my life for money. Debt was something to be avoided if possible. As such I'm more a saver that a spender. I also try to avoid anything that involves a contract or has fees. I prefer pay as you go. In retirement I'm debt free.

Unlike Norm, full timing or even long term travel does not have the draw for me. I'm good for about a month and then I'm ready to go home. I like where I live, though I admit by March I've had enough of winter. I like my woods; walking or snowshoeing with the dog. I like my garden. I enjoy cutting firewood in the summer and spending hours tinkering in my shop any time of year. This is home and I guess I'm a homebody at heart.

I would suggest that folks who were good money managers prior to retirement will be good money managers after retirement whether they are on the road fulltime or not. And more likely than not they will not be living on just social security alone but if they had to, they could. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #32

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Unlike Norm, full timing or even long term travel does not have the draw for me. I'm good for about a month and then I'm ready to go home. I like where I live, though I admit by March I've had enough of winter. I like my woods; walking or snowshoeing with the dog. I like my garden. I enjoy cutting firewood in the summer and spending hours tinkering in my shop any time of year. This is home and I guess I'm a homebody at heart.
Raz
I hope I've been better explaining this in the book. It's not simply the traveling.

I've built and re-built houses, started a number of companies, cleared land for our Geodesic domes, planted gardens, and heated with home cut firewood. Really I've done a lot and following my first mentor's words "The purpose of life is to maximize fun".

For me the sameness, having a year to year routine is wearing. There's a lack of sameness in the RV lifestyle for us. It's not simply traveling, though new places are fun and can be stimulating.

Two years ago in Newfoundland there was a bumper crop of icebergs, so many and so many different types. It was wild running here and yon. Icebergs with holes right thru them, icebergs with different color layers, icebergs doing a barrel roll, just all different types.

There's something very special about our time together. An older friend told me that as one ages, one focuses on their favorites, mine is Ginny, on the road there's maximum Ginny time for me, as well my time is totally mine. I can still wander through my mind, still an endless adventure.

I know, for decades I was different, people in as sense said so mockingly, after all who lives in half of a giant igloo (our dome). It's ok though, life is about fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #33
Raz

You seem to imply I'm missing the point. Trust me, I'm not. Raz
Old 11-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #34

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
One factors that no one seems to have specifically mentioned is whether you're a "stayer" or a "mover". My intent is to spend the cold months of the year somewhere down south, and the hot months of the year somewhere up north, i.e. "be a snowbird". That would be less expensive than being on the move all the time, wouldn't it?
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #35

Florida
It is less expensive to be stationary. Possibly lower fuel costs and lower camping fees.

You should recognize that you can stay in federal and some state parks for really low fees and not have to stay more than a day. You can travel about and have inexpensive camping.

Campgrounds have four kinds of rates, daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal (usually 6 months).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #36

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
This is a fascinating conversation! I'd always thought of RV-ing, especially long duration as something extra that people with a little (or a lot) of extra money and time did. I had no idea that some may be doing it simply to help stretch meager pensions or social security/OAS. I'd be particularly interested if someone has crunched the numbers for comparative costs including things like food and could give the rest of us advice on things like getting good, nutritious food on the road at a reasonable costs. Also, I think that there is a tremendous human story here. Any journalists out there???
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #37

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A very important rate is the Sr. Discount rate. Some are 50%, some are little more than 5-10%, some are "0". In some National Parks, while the camp ground discounts are 50% for Sr's, the full hook-up RV only areas often have less Sr. discount, sometimes none at all.

The entire issue of overnighting costs revolves around what your camping style might be... Boondocking/Parking lots/camp sites w/o hook-up/campsites w/hook-ups or RV Resorts. The range is substantial.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #38
Raz

RVSue was mentioned in the closed thread and is worth repeating here. At retirement she sold her home, bought a Casita and walked off to look for America. All the details are here from where she travels to what it costs. Raz

rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more
Old 11-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #39

Name: Charles
Ohio
I met a couple while camping at AEP ReCreationlands (free camping) that have been full-timing for 25 years.They sold everything and used his daughter address for their mail. Together they earned around 1100 per month. I didn't ask from where. They were in their early sixties and were both going to get a small amount of SS @ 62. Her mom died and left them some property so thay had to take some "time off" lol to sell the property for a few thousand dollars. They stayed south in winter and slowly north in summer. They were both on Medicaid but I don't know why. Seemed very happy. Said they mostly "dry" camped and were still able to put money aside.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
My parents were raised during the great depression. Their experiences and behavior had a big influence on me. Early on I learned that when I worked I was trading hours of my life for money. Debt was something to be avoided if possible. As such I'm more a saver that a spender. I also try to avoid anything that involves a contract or has fees. I prefer pay as you go. In retirement I'm debt free.

I would suggest that folks who were good money managers prior to retirement will be good money managers after retirement whether they are on the road fulltime or not. And more likely than not they will not be living on just social security alone but if they had to, they could. Raz
I agree, i worked all my life so that i could have a home and land to enjoy, When i cut the grass and look how nice the land is landscaped. I look back and say to self. Well at least I made something. I live off SS and some small retirement funds, and probably could fulltime if want to, but it is nice to come home. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote