Full timing Forum for MFROG - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Potential Full Timer Forum Readers
Current Full Timer in RV 10 5.99%
Past Full Timer in RV 7 4.19%
RV Full Timer Wannabe or Seriously Considering It 66 39.52%
Mildly Considering RV Full Timing 30 17.96%
Just Curious 48 28.74%
Don't have the slightest interest in Full Timing and don't want to waste bytes even talking about it... 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Full timing Forum for MFROG

Mike is pondering whether or not to add a forum to the group about Full Timing in RVs. Such forums already exist at Escapees.com and RV.NET.

For those who don't know, Full Timing officially means your RV is your home and you don't have any other home. You literally live on the road, in campgrounds, forests, some land you own, a relative's back yard, parking lots, etc.

For the purpose of this group, likely Full Timer would be modified to include the Part Timers and Snowbirds, who may have an anchored home somewhere but leave it for months at a time to work or winter or travel elsewhere.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Full timing was always a dream i had,then i got married again .I think if you like to travel and are not tied down to job or family it would be a very interesting and educational thing to do.Oh well back to dreaming
Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have none of the ties that Ches has, but am still not ready to do this. I have often thought of it, how to do it etc. BUT.. I am strapped to medical insurance and a full time decent job keeps me healthy...or at least, my checkbook healthy.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I lived in my 1970 Airstream 23' Safari Special for just about a year, nearly twenty years ago now!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
My son and I were poking around at some RV dealers today, he really likes the big bus type RV's, I was joking with him that I would have to sell the house and we'd live in the RV to afford to buy one (not that I'd want to own a bus).

If I didn't have to earn a living, i would be tempted to spend a year or two full timing. What an advendure that would be! Maybe once I'm independantly wealthy
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Unless I sell my second novel for a lot of money, I'm still a good many years from being able to retire. That said, my wife and I wil definitely spend at least a full year full-time RVing as soon as we are able to kiss the jobs goodbye forever.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
My son and I were poking around at some RV dealers today, he really likes the big bus type RV's, I was joking with him that I would have to sell the house and we'd live in the RV to afford to buy one (not that I'd want to own a bus).

If I didn't have to earn a living, i would be tempted to spend a year or two full timing. What an advendure that would be! Maybe once I'm independantly wealthy
We hae discussed it.... (and entertained the idea of a Scamp 5th whl) but, economics came into play... We would not be able to dispose of the house and shop (or the 20 some cars.. ) So decided to stay w/13 footer and finish exploring the PNW in short bursts--1-3 weeks at a time when my retirement kicks in (read that as compensation for time served). Then spend winters @ home - her working and me rebuilding the latest project. (don't ask me how I convinced her of that.......) Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
One very nice thing about a full time forum on this site is that we would be sharing information with people whose interest and needs are defined by our beloved small fiberglass trailers, and not so much the larger fifth wheels and motorhomes. Thanks for introducing this topic.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We are considering Part time/Full time next summer.
Leave after kids get out of school and not return till they are due back.
Only way we can do this is that Daddy can work virtual and the WiFi options are pretty solid now.
Would love a place to see how others do this on a full-time basis.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
For the purpose of this group, likely Full Timer would be modified to include the Part Timers and Snowbirds, [b]who may have an anchored home somewhere but leave it for months at a time to work or winter or travel elsewhere.
This would be my dream, to hang on to this house in San Diego and be able to travel in my rig to alight at or near a significant other's home. The appropriate social network is not in place for me to do that. It goes way beyond the considerations of the vehicles...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I spend more time in my Scamp doing Ham Radio and working on the internet than I spend in my home. I'm in it right now writing this message. If I could truely "telecommute", I'd have my mail address changed to read "The Trailer in the backyard".

While I'm not "living" in it, I'm having "the time of my life" in it. I've made it my Radio Shack & Office that I can take with me whenever I want.

Put me down as a Part Timer please.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I do harbor a fantasy of spending some time as a Full-timer - I'm thinking that the demise of my current generation of pets, retirement and the transition from house to ??? (probably a condo ) will converge quite nicely. I've thought of putting everything I want to keep into storage, selling the house and then traveling for a year or two - by then, even the smallest of condo's will seem spacious and I'll probably have no use for most of what I've got in storage - great way to get into "downsize mode".

Anyway, since I'm big on planning, I'd love to lurk on forum topic where I could see how others manage the logistics!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Mike is pondering whether or not to add a forum to the group about Full Timing in RVs. Such forums already exist at Escapees.com and RV.NET.

For those who don't know, Full Timing officially means your RV is your home and you don't have any other home. You literally live on the road, in campgrounds, forests, some land you own, a relative's back yard, parking lots, etc.

For the purpose of this group, likely Full Timer would be modified to include the Part Timers and Snowbirds, who may have an anchored home somewhere but leave it for months at a time to work or winter or travel elsewhere.

I retire in 2 years and am very interested in the idea of full-timing. Especially when I read stories from full-timers. I'd certainly be lurking on the board and possibly asking questions. I have no idea right now if I will decide to sell my home after retirement or keep it as a home base. If I fall in love with full-timing, I may even store all that I can't part with and rent it out.
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
I think a full-timer section would be a good addition to this forum. There is much to learn from these folks and whether you are, or intend to be, a full-timer it would be a great clearing house for core issues related to living and traveling in our little gems.

I ponder the issue myself. But right now, even though Uncle Sam says I am officialy 'retired,' I don't think I could make it work. Between getting settled into my new place, my beloved dawgs, the garden, not to mention the Stuph issue, I don't think it will happen soon. Meanwhile, Otra lives in a concrete-floored, insulated 40x50 shop building and is ready to go at the drop of a hat! That's a pretty good substitute for the time being.

I vote in favor of a fulltime section.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #15

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
This has always been my dream- but with the exception of the near year my son and I lived in our Scamp while in transition, I have always been too tied down to stuff like his school and my mortgage. HOWEVER... my son just recently got married, (he and wife still live with me) and I am seriously considering signing the house over to them and taking off for parts unknown. I know there are many "work camper" programs available (parents did this for a few summers in their motorhome) but I could sure use an abundance of information from all the others who full time RV!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Wow, a full-timer's forum would be terrific - would it make a lot of extra work for WebGuy and the Moderators (sounds like a rock band ...)? And the Geezers might chime in from time to time.

Seriously, for those of you who dream of full-timing, short term or forever, we say GO FOR IT! We realize there are financial and other considerations ... we are on the "peanut butter and hot dog" circuit, but we have enuff for our modest needs. We are both in good health, and if not now, WHEN? Down the road, we'll probably try Workamping and volunteering, too. For now, we like the freedom to wander when & as we choose. If a partner is involved, you must both be absolutely certain, down to the soles of your feet, that this is what you want to try.

A proviso - we sold our home, but we do have a 'soft spot' for when we can't or choose not to travel anymore - a small rental property we can fall back on. With real estate values as they are (up, up & away ... ) we might suggest renting/leasing your residence while you wander. All you need is a magical property manager (we lucked out!) - the PM handles all the headaches and sends you a check - beautiful!

That said, we'll sign off - happy camping to all! L 'n D
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I hope there is enough interest that we can justify a full timing forum. We have several that full time it or have.

Lori and I are going to full time it and are interested in learning from you that have.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
It's a nice idea (to have a new forum), but it seems there are not many actually full-timing. I agree that full-timing
in fiberglass is probably quite different than in bulgemobiles (certainly it's a lot easier!).

Sept. 20th will mark 3 years aboard the micronaut. When I decided to do it, I was living in my
small house in my hometown and had quite a bit of furniture, books, papers, tools, etc.
In May of '04, I packed a small back pack, and went back to a previous employer in Raleigh/Durham (3-4 hrs away).
I stayed in a bedroom at my sister's while I waited for the Casita to be built and be ready to pick up.

On weekends, I traveled home and took on the Herculean task of disposing of, selling, and giving away
all that stuff! If you live away from your stuff for a while, you can come back to it and just look
at it as if it was someone else's stuff, which makes it easier to deal with.

After living out of a back pack, the Casita seemed unbelievably spacious! Room for everything plus some stuff!

Finally, a couple of months after getting the Casita, I finished emptying the house. I distilled the material
effects of 35 years into the things I have on board, plus about six boxes stored at my folks' big house, and
a couple of power tools on loan to brothers-in-law.

With the house empty, I prepped it for rent. A good cleaning, a few improvements, and a new stove were
about all that were needed. I gave the keys to my real estate agent, a trusted person I've known all my life
who also manages about 150 properties. After her fee is deducted, the rent she deposits for me comes to
within $5 of covering the mortgage.

So, while I'm having all this fun visiting family across the state, seeing our state parks, working in Raleigh, and more
recently working a few days a week in Winston-Salem, my house has been sitting there paying for itself!
I might also add that the home equity actually paid for the Casita, and I'm still way better than right-side-up in the
mortgage!

Last summer I added a driveway to the lower part of the acre under the house, and with a new tenant, modified
the lease to allow me to drive down there and camp in the lower corner (much farther from the house than the
house is from its neighbors!). That has been handy to have a base camp when needed.

I would support a separate section for full-timing concerns. I've certainly learned a lot, and would enjoy anybody
else's tales, adventures, advice, etc.

P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #19

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Quote:

don't even have an egg yet but will buy a 13' and would like to live and work in it. i am single and like a simple life. i am an artist. there were 5 people that signed in as being full time or use to be. if they have a 13' i would love to hear from them. franklin.hammond(at)sympatico.ca
franklin hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #20

I saw a 34' class A (I think that's the size--it was like a greyhound bus) in Blaine for $38,000 but it looked so nice and new, it was all done in leather, with a washer and dryer and central vacuuming, easily nicer than many apartments--the dealer said they're practically giving away the fuel hog machines. It's fuel efficiency must've been in the "gallons per mile" category but then again, if you had arrangements for pretty much rent-free living and moved it 2,3 times per year, had another vehicle for local transport...sold the house...you could spend-off your savings and do quite nicely even with gas and maintenance. So, now I don't laugh so hard when I see those people towing a little Kia behind their elegant monstrosity.
Suzanne P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full timing, fulltiming