Not at all about FRVs: Recommend an axe? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Nicest lightweight Axe money can buy.
Estwing Long Handle Camper's Axe
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I had an Estwing rock hammer that broke after about 5 hours of continuous use. I had an Estwing claw hammer that was good for a couple of years, then broke. I have had a number of axes of various makes and sizes. The best is Gransfors Bruks, bar none.

However for light use, as you described, there is no point in buying the very best axe. Just buy a small Fiskars or Estwing, or whatever. However, do not swing the axe. Place it on the wood to be split then hit it with a piece of wood, small wooden baseball bat, etc, as other have described above. Do not hit it or a maul with a steel hammer. That said, also wear eye protection. I know this from experience.
Wow, I have a couple of Estwings with the steel handle. The handle looks a little intimidating, but after decades of use, the hammers and axe are still like new, and thankfully my thumbs have survived as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #23

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
That design sounds great, but in practice it's not well respected on forums like Hearth.com - Information on Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Pellet Stoves, etc. where us full time wood heaters hung out. It may work great on straight grained wood, but when you get something that doesn't split real well it would just twist in your hand and not transfer the force you need. Still a cool idea though and if you have a ton of straight grained wood around it might meet your needs. It would in the NE where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
This design in unconventional but makes total sense. I would love to give it a try. Watch the video(s)
Vipukirves Leveraxe - Official Website

Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #24

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
I split nearly 5 cords of wood with an x27 (36in) splitting axe. A few comments about it:

- Nice and light, kept good swing speed.
- The blade was very sharp but easily dulled. I had to sharpen it a lot in the beginning as the blade was thin and the metal seemed fragile. But over time as I reprofiled it to be a bit less razor sharp it worked.
- I broke the head of this axe on some nasty wood that was difficult to split. But Fiskars gave me a brand new one, they stand by their products.

This was in the middle of splitting season, you can't see the rest of the stacks behind the trees (I only split 5 cords with an axe, then switched to a splitter, phew!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Been carrying a Fiskars X17 or X25, can't get to it right now to check the length but let me know if you want me to. Works fantastic for splitting and cutting smaller stuff like 6 or 8" into kindling. If you want to split real logs you need something bigger.

Robot Check
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #25

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
In Belize we often had trees down over the jungle roads. Never carried an axe, far too heavy, but we always had a very sharp machete.

[Ma Chet was how it was pronounced]. While it will not split logs in a conventional North American manner for a fire you certainly can cut up trees up to 18"-24" into fire useful sections very very quickly.

Weights virtually nothing. Now even back in the U.S. of A. I still have our short one (± 18" blade) in the TV just in case.

My nickles worth of comment. However at the 2:1 BZE$ to US $ exchange rate it is only worth about US $.025
Old 07-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #26

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
My favorite is a small splitting maul, like a little version of the 6-8# ones in stores, but only about 18" long and maybe 2#. No cutting, but great splitting. Serves as a wedge when pounded with a rock or log. Found this in the woods along a remote survey line so probably a surveyors tool.
If you need to cut small wood, a folding pruning saw is pretty good. Also, don't plan to take wood across us/Canada border as they are pretty particular about that.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco