Not at all about FRVs: Recommend an axe? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Trillium
WA
Not at all about FRVs: Recommend an axe?

I came here because this group seems to hold all the wisdom of the ages.

I am planning a long trip in my FRV and would like to carry a lightweight axe or hatchet to serve many purposes -- but mainly splitting firewood. I am willing to spend some $$ to get a high quality tool that will do the job. Do any of you carry an axe with you on trips and do you recommend any in particular? Sorry if this is too off-topic . . .

Old 07-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I was in the tool business and have several axes. I usually carry a 4# axe. If I was buying a new one for camping I would buy am Estwing campers axe. About $55 from Amazon, Cabelas, or many tool or camping supply stores. Top quality and will last a lifetime unless someone steals it.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I carry an axe, and I carry a small sledge/maul. The sledge is handy for freeing a stuck axe.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-ad...-wood-20130225
Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I'm at the point where I suspect I would do myself harm if I went flailing around with a full length axe. Having learned from a wiser camper, I split wood with an Estwing Fireside Friend (a splitting maul with a hatchet handle) and a small Estwing 2 or 3 pound hammer. Place the wedge on the end of the fire log (you don't have swing the splitter, just place it where you want it) and pound it into to the log with the hammer. The Fireside Friend has a steep face so the log splits more times than it gets stuck in there. I see the splitter periodically in Home Depot, but not all of 'em and not all the time.
Robot Check

"hammer" : Robot Check

Tools for puposes.. a small Estwing Carpenter's axe for tent stake pounding (it has a nail pulling notch that is handy for pulling/levering subborn stakes out again.)
Robot Check
Old 07-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Check out Council axes. They're made in America, and have the highest regard among pros of all ilk.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
This design in unconventional but makes total sense. I would love to give it a try. Watch the video(s)
Vipukirves Leveraxe - Official Website

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
We cut 3 cord a year to heat the house. I use an Stanley 8 lb splitting maul for that. In my opinion the best axe is a Gransfors Bruks, made in Sweden. Be prepared for sticker shock on those. Most places sell fire wood and frown on people bringing their own unless it's local because of spreading unwanted insects. They also aren't wild about you cutting your own but many will let you gather downed branches. For that a folding saw would be a better choice. Raz

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/g...dish-axes.aspx
Old 07-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Love the idea of containing the round in a tire.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Check out Council axes. They're made in America, and have the highest regard among pros of all ilk.

Frank
The 4# axe I carry with me is a Council brand. Excellent Quality products. One of the brands I sold was Council. Every time I see the movie "Sling Blade" I think of Council and the fine Brush Hooks Council made.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Been carrying a Fiskars X17 or X25, can't get to it right now to check the length but let me know if you want me to. Works fantastic for splitting and cutting smaller stuff like 6 or 8" into kindling. If you want to split real logs you need something bigger.

Robot Check
Old 07-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Fiskars make a very high quality short hand axe. I own two...one for my wood shed and one for my camper. Sold at either Lowes or Home Cheapo.
East wing is a brand that is high quality.

To split wood add a splitting maul to your collection of tools....or....the ever reliable wedge and sledge method.

Best method....buy split firewood from local vendor!....Leave the axe for The lumber-Jack.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #13

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Fiskars make a very high quality short hand axe. I own two...one for my wood shed and one for my camper. Sold at either Lowes or Home Cheapo.
East wing is a brand that is high quality.

To split wood add a splitting maul to your collection of tools....or....the ever reliable wedge and sledge method.

Best method....buy split firewood from local vendor!....Leave the axe for The lumber-Jack.
We buy when we get to the area where we will be camping, but I have found that I still need to cut some of the bigger stuff down for kindling or to have a small fire that burns for a shorter time.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Best axe

I had an Estwing rock hammer that broke after about 5 hours of continuous use. I had an Estwing claw hammer that was good for a couple of years, then broke. I have had a number of axes of various makes and sizes. The best is Gransfors Bruks, bar none.

However for light use, as you described, there is no point in buying the very best axe. Just buy a small Fiskars or Estwing, or whatever. However, do not swing the axe. Place it on the wood to be split then hit it with a piece of wood, small wooden baseball bat, etc, as other have described above. Do not hit it or a maul with a steel hammer. That said, also wear eye protection. I know this from experience.

Tags
eco