Not full timing, but longer vacation trip... need packing tips - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #15

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
Thanks to all for your suggestions.... I know I've read about many of Norm's adventures. I think you're the packing king, with finding new ways to make things fit. Friends who have done long camping trips advised us to get out the clothes we planned to take, and lay them all on the bed. Then, before they go in the camper, put half of them back. This is definitely sound advice! I know I still have clothes (clean) in the camper from our last 4 day trip, just waiting to go camping again this weekend. I guess I need to clean out the camper and pack lighter.

We're also planning to take our 'quick drying' clothes, but I'm not sure I have socks that fit in that category! If you camp in Acadia this summer, I'm sure you'll recognize us by the laundry line hanging off the back of the camper! :-)

Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #16

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hope you enjoy your trip!
I was wellknown as an ultralight backpacker before I even started as an assistant Scoutmaster with DS's troop.
We went to the Northern Tier High Adventure Base 4 times and I loved every minute. We were restricted to the amount of gear we could bring on a trip-It all had to fit in a 5 gallon bucket, including sleeping bag and mattress.
My local Goodwill carries silk items. I had 3 outfits skin sox, skivvies, bras, top, slax, and one waterproof jacket. I had found a silk shirt at Goodwill for $3.59 I slept in that and a pair of skivvies. Silk packs up really small and dries really quickly, plus the shiny silk is too tightly woven to allow a mosquito proboscis thru. I always 2 or 3 huge books to read, and managed to fit my folding Shakespeare fishing rod in too.
Now that I am camping with DH I try to keep us to 3 outfits apiece. Laundry can be done by hand if necessary. I carry these for laundry- www.WashEze.com and this to think about silk socks www.wintersilks.com We do a month at a time, and sometimes the souvenirs we pick are Tshirts- extend our wardrobe as needed. And I keep us to 3 towels. One fresh towel for who evers towel is still sopping wet.
We just came back from a week at DS and we had packed 5 outfits apiece. I only wore 3 of mine- old habits die hard. As far as I was concerned the other outfits were not necessary and just made the suitcase too full to pack our toiletry kits in.
Anyway have a great trip!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #17

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hope you enjoy your trip!
I was wellknown as an ultralight backpacker before I even started as an assistant Scoutmaster with DS's troop.
We went to the Northern Tier High Adventure Base 4 times and I loved every minute. We were restricted to the amount of gear we could bring on a trip-It all had to fit in a 5 gallon bucket, including sleeping bag and mattress.
My local Goodwill carries silk items. I had 3 outfits skin sox, skivvies, bras, top, slax, and one waterproof jacket. I had found a silk shirt at Goodwill for $3.59 I slept in that and a pair of skivvies. Silk packs up really small and dries really quickly, plus the shiny silk is too tightly woven to allow a mosquito proboscis thru. I always 2 or 3 huge books to read, and managed to fit my folding Shakespeare fishing rod in too.
Now that I am camping with DH I try to keep us to 3 outfits apiece. Laundry can be done by hand if necessary. I carry these for laundry- www.WashEze.com and this to think about silk socks www.wintersilks.com We do a month at a time, and sometimes the souvenirs we pick are Tshirts- extend our wardrobe as needed. And I keep us to 3 towels. One fresh towel for who evers towel is still sopping wet.
We just came back from a week at DS and we had packed 5 outfits apiece. I only wore 3 of mine- old habits die hard. As far as I was concerned the other outfits were not necessary and just made the suitcase too full to pack our toiletry kits in.
Anyway have a great trip!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #18

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
One thing is for sure, you'll learn this time how to pack for the next trip. All good advice and it'll put you ahead of the game, but until you do it, you just really don't know. It seems most people, myself included, manage to fill all the space they've got. And it's enough. Whether it's a 5 gallon bucket or a 30' 5th wheel.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #19

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
One thing that helped us with space on long trips with the Casita was using microfiber sports towels-2 for each-and a couple of microfiber hand towels. They dry quickly and pack small! I made a 2-tiered pouch to hang them in the bathroom, heavy duty suction cup hooks worked well. Also used packing bags for our clothes, kept them organized and easy access from overhead bins. Plus I made pouches with pockets to hang on the walls with drapery hooks for small items like glasses, my Kindle, etc. Enjoy your trip!!

ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote