Not full timing, but longer vacation trip... need packing tips - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Many Campground laundry do not permit pods, only liquid detergents.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Many Campground laundry do not permit pods, only liquid detergents.

Any idea why?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Any idea why?
While I use Tide pods & have never been told not to, I suspect the problem is locations that have very soft water. I have noticed that the soap from a pod doesn't always rinse out during the rinse cycle when I use pods & soft water. Makes for itchy underwear!

As to packing, I travel for the entire winter - 6 - 8 month journeys, and try for 10 days worth of clothes. I do OK, except for "T" shirts. I end up purchasing 20 - 25 each trip (I collect them & my excuse its it helps support the state & national parks). Other than that, if I wear something out it is usually no problem to find a place to replace it.

Now, let's not talk about tools! I had to buy a new truck just to hold them...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Any idea why?
Maybe the Tide Pod Challenge... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ats-a-bad-idea
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we bring a smallish bottle of All Clear or similar liquid laundry detergent, and yeah, tons of quarters, and figure on doing laundry about once a week, if you go too long, you just have to do more loads and take longer, many campground laundromats are small and only have a couple machines... I don't mind wearing the same jeans for a week, and the same pair of socks for a couple days, long as I have clean underwear and T shirts every day!!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #26

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
We go to an organized RV park about once a week, or so. There, we can do laundry, dump the tanks, fill up with fresh water, have a leisurely shower or two and re-charge the bats. Some of those things can be done out in the wild, but all of them can at the Park.

Laundry always seems like the most boring chore of all. But wait!, the new HQ19 has a washing machine! I want to see just how useful it really is, and it may be really good if it doesn't use too much water.

What seemed at first to be the most decadent thing imaginable, may turn out to be very practical.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
That HQ19 Black apparently has this washing machine, https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Porta.../dp/B07HKXVQYC

does 7.7 lbs of laundry (not very much) and uses 16L to 30L of water per cycle (so minimum 1 wash cycle 1 rinse cycle with a full load would be 16 gallons (60L). uses 240 watts of electricity, so if its on DC, thats 12V at 20 amps.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #28

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
That HQ19 Black apparently has this washing machine, https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Porta.../dp/B07HKXVQYC

does 7.7 lbs of laundry (not very much) and uses 16L to 30L of water per cycle (so minimum 1 wash cycle 1 rinse cycle with a full load would be 16 gallons (60L). uses 240 watts of electricity, so if its on DC, thats 12V at 20 amps.
Yeah. It uses way too much water to use while boondocking without a water source. But it may be useful with full hookups. They seem designed for apartment living. I've seen some wall mount, front load machines and they might be more economical with the water. It might be OK for National Parks where there is a spigot that everybody shares, but then getting rid of the wash water would be a problem. It doesn't seem very promising.

There are two water tanks, besides the grey and black tanks. One is 50 gallons of general water and the other is 16 gallons of drinking water. The General tank is designed to be filled from streams, or other sources of water that is good for general use, but not for drinking.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Love to see a picture of that thing in a full service RV resort, with laundry hanging on the power lines to dry.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For clothes we pack what would last us with very minimal change for two weeks, and typically find somewhere to do laundry every 10 to 14 days. As long as clothes are relatively clean I continue to wear them unless going somewhere special in town then wear nice clean stuff. If you find yourselves running out of any underclothes they are super easy to wash at the campsite, though this is a rare thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Now, let's not talk about tools! I had to buy a new truck just to hold them...
And haven't I made good use of this two years in a row at Quartzsite? A drill bit last year and an MC4 crimper this year. I would never complain about your toting along of lots of tools, just when I do it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #31

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We're getting close! We leave on Monday. We've been stocking up quarters, packed the detergent (pods.. and hope we get to use them, if not we'll be buying on the road). I plan to lay out my collection of clothes, and have DH proceed to tell me I have too many. Like a friend advised.. get out all the clothes you're taking and lay them on the bed. Then, before you pack, put half of them back. I'm sure I'll have more advice for everyone else once we finish this trip! :-)
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote