Ocala FL campground with tornado shelters? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #15

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I am in no way attempting to shame anyone into not being prepared, anymore than I would suggest that your response implies that I am irresponsibly unprepared.

I am merely stating as a long term resident of Florida with much experience with the weather one can expect when living here that worrying about something as remotely likely as a killer tornado should be of little concern. If you wish to drag around a concrete storm shelter be my guest. Most Florida campgrounds have concrete block bathrooms that would handle 99% of the typical F1 tornadoes that occur here.
I might also suggest pontoons on your trailer in the event sea level rise occurs faster than expected; after all much of Florida is not elevated much above sea level and then there is also a possibility of a super tsunami hitting the east coast; it could wash over the state. You might want to install a bed with an ejection jet pack in case one of Florida's numerous and frequently occurring sink holes develops under your campsite. One man's body was never recovered when a sinkhole opened up under his bedroom a couple of years ago. Also, killer bees have established themselves in Florida so a supply of epinephrine injectors might be in order. It might be prudent to stay inland as any outbreak of red tide could cause exposure to dangerous toxins. Definitely avoid wearing a hoodie in public as that can get you shot by some "cop wannabe." All that being said, hurricanes are probably the biggest threat in Florida, and many more people drown as a result of storm surge than are killed or injured by high winds. If there is any positive aspect of hurricanes, the National Hurricane Center provides several days warning and there is more than ample time to get out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
After reading your post , I believe the only safe and logical thing to do is steer clear of Florida. Any place with that many known hazards is not safe for man or beast . I for one appreciate your
unbiased warning and will follow your advice.

Plus I do not own a portable concrete storm shelter and don't intend to buy one .

Old 07-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
After reading your post , I believe the only safe and logical thing to do is steer clear of Florida. Any place with that many known hazards is not safe for man or beast . I for one appreciate your

unbiased warning and will follow your advice.

Plus I do not own a portable concrete storm shelter and don't intend to buy one .

Yep. And I forgot to mention a freak snowstorm that could hit Florida and bring the roof of a Walmart down, crushing shoppers to death. Sort of like the unexpected Category 1 hurricane (weakest hurricane) that is referred to as "Super Storm Sandy." We should all dig a hole, crawl in, and not go anywhere out of fear that we might encounter a potential danger, e.g., an ISIS inspired terrorist (could wear body armor all the time) or an asteroid could wipe out all of humanity. Or a train full of toxic chemicals could derail. Wow, so much to worry about. Don't know how I survived all this time; nobody is safe anywhere.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #17

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Yep. And I forgot to mention a freak snowstorm that could hit Florida and bring the roof of a Walmart down, crushing shoppers to death. Sort of like the unexpected Category 1 hurricane (weakest hurricane) that is referred to as "Super Storm Sandy." We should all dig a hole, crawl in, and not go anywhere out of fear that we might encounter a potential danger, e.g., an ISIS inspired terrorist (could wear body armor all the time) or an asteroid could wipe out all of humanity. Or a train full of toxic chemicals could derail. Wow, so much to worry about. Don't know how I survived all this time; nobody is safe anywhere.

Isn't Florida the leader in mosquito's carrying the Zika virus ?
Taking reasonoable precautions based on known hazards makes logical sense but there are times that things get beyond our control.
We can either control our fears or let our fears control us.
We've had several tornados in our area in the last ten years .
One wiped out most of our small town and most of the homes just North of us. . Just like in the 1950"s , when I didn't build a fallout shelter , I have no intentions of building a concrete storm shelter.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #18
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Isn't Florida the leader in mosquito's carrying the Zika virus ?
Taking reasonoable precautions based on known hazards makes logical sense but there are times that things get beyond our control.
We can either control our fears or let our fears control us.
We've had several tornados in or area in the last ten years .
One wiped out most of our small town and most of the homes just North of us. . Just like in the 1950"s , when I didn't build a fallout shelter , I have no intentions of building a concrete storm shelter.

Steve, you and I are in complete agreement here. In 1969 I went in the army and was told I would be going to Fort Polk, LA, for basic training and AIT. Having lived in New England my entire life, I panicked. I mean, Louisiana is venomous snake country. Fear built up in my mind to a point that I was so worried I would likely get bitten I dreaded going. Of course, my fear turned out to be ridiculous if not a silly overreaction to a situation that I had blown way out of proportion. Yes, a tornado can strike anywhere. I might be concerned about them if I lived in Tornado Alley where F4 and F5 twisters are common. In Florida, every county has storm shelters for hurricanes, but not tornadoes.
Having lived and worked here for 30 years, I, like the overwhelming majority of residents see no reason/need to build a hurricane shelter, and I can honestly say I do not know a single Floridian who considers tornadoes to be a credible threat that they would even consider building a tornado shelter.