Older & Just Retired & Never Had an RV Part "2" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 09:53 PM   #1

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Older & Just Retired & Never Had an RV Part "2"

Many of you have read my posts and offered advice and a little sarcasm.The posts have been very informative and the sarcasm fun. I now need some more help please.I have viewed a 2018 Escape,Bigfoot and Oliver.The overall quality as I expected was Oliver #1,Bigfoot #2 and Escape #3.
I would like to view a Casita,Scamp and a Parkliner. They do not have to be 2018 but a newer model would be nice.As you know I live in Montana.Can anyone help me out here? I did contact Casita a couple days back but have not heard from them.

Thank you
Montana Brad (alias Bob)
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Older & Just Retired & Never Had an RV Part "2"

You may have to give it a little more time due to the holiday weekend. Don't know about Casita, but phone calls work best at Scamp HQ.

With Scamp you might try to get a look at both standard and deluxe (custom wood interior) models.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

Montana
Thanks-what I was hoping to do is see a trailer that someone may have in or was traveling thru my area.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Brad, do you happen to be close to Yellowstone NP? That's our next trip.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Brad aka BO, don't know where in Montana you are. There is a 2008 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 listed for sale in Spokane. Might be worth viewing.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/d...677255092.html
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #6

Montana
Thank you.I saw that.I would be interested but its older and used.Minty would be the only way I would want it at that age.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

Montana
Paul O
When would you be going to Yellowstone? I have located a couple Casitas in my area.I have not contacted Scamp yet to see if they have a referral program?

Thank you,
Brad
Old 09-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
FYI, if you own an egg, you get asked all the time for a tour, just goes with the territory. If you see one someplace during your travels, see if they'll pull over for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #9

Montana
Thanks-I was looking to do this sooner than latter.Does anyone know if scamp has a referral program?
Old 09-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
Thanks-I was looking to do this sooner than latter.Does anyone know if scamp has a referral program?
Scamp does. All you do is call and they hook you up. I had several visit me here in NE since 2014. Myself, I just bought a new Scamp, sight unseen. B/C I didn't know a dam thing about a camper, I learned. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #11

Montana
Thank you Carl!
Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #12

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
I have a 2016 16 ft Scamp 2 hours south of Montana. You could send me a private message if you would like to view it though Scamp's referral program.
thank you.
JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Paul O
When would you be going to Yellowstone? I have located a couple Casitas in my area.I have not contacted Scamp yet to see if they have a referral program?

Thank you,
Brad
Sending a PM...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #14

Montana
Looked at a Casita and Scamp.Scamp is made for shorter folks so its out. Casita and Bigfoot are in.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Looked at a Casita and Scamp.Scamp is made for shorter folks so its out. Casita and Bigfoot are in.
I'm not sure there's much height difference between Scamp and Casita. All Scamp 16's and all Casita 17's have about 6' 1-2" of headroom. The all-important bed length is also the same (about 76"), unless you are looking at one of the Casita models with a longways bed arrangement (Liberty or Independence).

I'm curious what you noticed that doesn't reflect in the numbers.

Pre-fire Scamp 13's (2006 and before) and Casita 13's and 16's are shorter, at about 5' 10". Scamp side bath models also have limited headroom in the bath.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Casita

You really should go look at the 17 ft casita in WA. I have a 1996 17 ft casita and I love it, age doesn’t matter and that’s a good price and in the the same state as you
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #17

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Brad, You may be over analyzing the travel trailer industry and missing the more important point in selecting a unit......LAYOUT is number one....size and weight are next since you will have to tow the final selection.

If the lay out is wrong you will quickly hate the RV life.
If you cannot tow the unit comfortably you will soon abandon the RV life.

The major shortcoming for the fiberglass RV is the lack of a dealer network.
Being able to view and compare various brands and units without going on
safari may explain the limited market penetration of fiberglass units.
If the industry had a nationwide dealer network you would already be enjoying your final selection.

Best of luck in your search.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #18

Montana
Jon,
When talking about Scamp I was referring to head room and door opening height.I am 5"10 with shoes on and hit my head on the door opening going out.Also my head touched the bottom of the AC unit.Things I felt more than I wanted to!
Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #19

Montana
Mary & Bob,
I see the Casita ad in Washington.Its to bad the seller seem non responsive to others who have tried to contact him.I noticed that in contacting owners on this site.It seems to be an issue.Sometimes units are sold and the post not removed also.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #20

Montana
Uplander,
Thanks for your posts.I really don't feel I am over analyzing.I am posting my finds so others will see it because someone may ad something I missed or others may want this information.
As far as what I think is most important to me is the price I pay for for the overall quality for my use .Then I looked at material,stick build,aluminum and fiberglass.And of course then the layout.For example Oliver offers twin beds or a standard plan ,a composting toilet,better solar.We want a bathroom with a shower so we are looking at that in all units.We want a sturdy dinette table.Also we do not want a microwave or a tv.We looked at captains chairs in a Casita vs the standard seating.Since its only the two of us we are not concerned with other sleeping arrangements.Type of refrigerator /freezers and how they are powered.Sliding vs crank out windows.Much more but you can get an idea.
We are not concerned about a towing unit as we have to purchase something to tow the unit with.But let me say scamp has very small tires.We like the dual axles on some.
We have been able to view a lot of different units in our area thru the dealer referral network.Its a great thing really.People are nice and very real.They will tell you the positives,negatives and the little fine tuning things they have done.