Older & Just Retired & Never Had an RV - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #101

Name: C.
Trailer: T@B
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Google new airstream problems, you might take them off your list.
So true
Basecamp and Nest have been a nightmare
Bakerkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #102

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
looking at metal airstream
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #103

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The Airstream trailers (Metal old style) are well proven, but still can have the very same problems with rotten floors.
The new one and unfortunately the new nest may have far different problems.
I haven't said anything before about the Nest, but from experience with other fiberglass systems the frameless suspension bolted directly into the structure probably does not have the testing to insure that cracking and failure of the structure is ruled out.
There is tremendous difference in layup strength when fiber glass is structural , especially when impact loads are present.
Although fiberglass boats may seem to be hard riding the actual loads are much softer than the pounding on a road.
Personally I would not be comfortable until they have a lot more road time on them.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #104

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
looking at metal airstream
With an Oliver sized budget you can get a much larger and roomier trailer. And the supply is much better as most dealers have units in stock.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #105

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
...I haven't said anything before about the Nest, but from experience with other fiberglass systems the frameless suspension bolted directly into the structure probably does not have the testing to insure that cracking and failure of the structure is ruled out...
The production Nest has a conventional frame (steel, I think). Robert Johans' monocoque concept didn't make the cut, probably for the very reason you suggest, along with cost. Downside is they ended up with a rather heavy trailer for its size, some 800 pounds heavier that the 16' Bambi.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #106

Name: steve
Trailer: 2014 21' Esape
Georgia
factors

I think many factors come into a decision like this but biggest I would think is TRUE cost of ownership.
Yes you might prefer a Bigfoot but if you buy a Bigfoot will the vehicle you own pull it so new expense.
Yes Oliver's are as nice as it get's in fiberglass trailers but very hard to find used and even then paying more for an Oliver than any other.
That is why we decided to look for a used Escape and were lucky enough to find a 2014' 21' in excellent condition. Had a Casita 17 SD, we loved our Matilda but really only good for two so we wanted something a little larger and the Escape met that need.

As far as holding there value all of these models do but less Escapes and Olivers in the used market so hard to get a deal on one. Now our Casita we owned for almost 5 years and sold it for $500.00 less than what I paid for it so that was a good investment.

My advice would rent something and go on an extended trip -3-4 weeks and be sure you want to RV as bad as you think you do. I know a guy who was convinced he wanted to live on a houseboat so as soon as his divorce was final he bought a houseboat, lasted about 6 months and needless to say not a good investment for him.

Safe travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #107

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I have been following this thread & frankly am not sure why you are interested in a Fiberglass trailer (much less a travel trailer).

If money is no problem, consider an Arctic Fox. It’s a well made stick trailer. Much larger than Fiberglass. Well insulated. Extremely comfortable. I know long time travel trailer campers who are very happy owning an Arctic Fox.

You can get a new Arctic Fox priced between the cost of an Oxygen & Airstream.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #108

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Yeah, I think Bob may have moved on.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #109

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Yeah, I think Bob may have moved on.

Will miss Bob.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #110

Montana
Bob has been reincarnated as Montana Brad

Hello again,
Bob moved on and now has come back as Montana Brad.Update for all interested readers.I have not bought a travel trailer yet nor have I bought a truck.Its been a wait and see what pops up for the trailer.So far its been interesting.I looked into a used Oliver elite but it had 75k miles .I looked into a used 2018 Casita but there was no transferable warranty-passed. Looked into a 2014 19' Airstream flying cloud but there were issues-passed.Then I called on a 2018 new Parkliner and asked the dealership to explain to me why I would pay 7k more for that than the Casita.They said they would get back to me(not).I called Oliver about a quote on some work on the Elite and it took 5 days for a return call.By then I passed.I called Casita to ask about a warranty and it took 4 days for a return call.By then I figured it out for myself.
I did another referral look at a Casita so I have viewed them twice.Thinking that may be the way to go at this point because we want to use this to travel and see if we can find a new place to live.In the long run we think that we are not sure if we will be full time but if we do we will be able to move on up in size and quality.
So we have started to look at trucks thinking we can buy a truck and if we move up in the trailer we can tow it.So far we have looked at a Toyota Tundra 5.7 -passed.A 2019 Dodge bighorn 5.7( still considering but have issues with reliability).We are going to look at a Ford f150 next week.All and any advice or comments considered!

Montana Brad
Old 10-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #111

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In the end molded FG trailers aren’t for everyone. They tend to be small , much smaller than traditional trailers. No tip outs either. I have friends with a 40 ft motor coach. Two bathrooms, at least four slide outs. No way they could handle my Escape 19 or even worse the Trillium 1300.

And molded FG trailers tend to more expensive for their size. Not surprisingly, if you are on this forum, you are going to get molded FG recommendations. If you want feedback and recommendations on Airstream, I'd go to the Airstream forum.

On customer service, several of the FG companies are not very prompt at getting back. I'm still waiting for Casita to respond to my request, but at two years now, I don't think its going to happen. This does not mean Casita makes a bad product. I think their product is good.

The only manufacturer that has repeatedly gotten back to me quickly has been Escape.

On TVs, I like the F150 best. There's a reason it is the top selling vehicle in the USA. Now that Ford is phasing out cars, they have additional pressure on staying on top of the pickup truck world. They are pretty much betting the business on the F150.

Read up on payload, a lot of full sized trucks are towing limited by low payload. You can get an F150 with a 1,000 pound payload (nearly worthless as a tow vehicle) and as high as 3,200 pound payload (rivals most 3/4 ton pickups out there). Open the door on the truck, it will be listed on the door jamb. Car salesmen would rather you remain in the dark. Its up to you to get educated.

I don't buy stuff for the warranty. Instead I usually buy used where the original warranty is long gone. I'm covered against problems via a lower price, rather than the manufacturer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #112

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Brad,

You might want to look into WorldMark. My in-laws have a membership. They have very nice facilities, there's no warranty issues or maintenance required, and there's no need for a tow vehicle.

Also, you might want to check in with Bob and see what he thinks of the idea.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #113

Montana
Had a Seance w/Bob

I consulted Bob by a seance as you suggested.Somewhat difficult but being October it seemed a little easier than September. Bob said that he's not really DYING to purchase a time share.He said he thinks we like being more mobile.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #114

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Have you considered a Class B van based camper? If you are primarily interested in traveling around, a B would be easier to drive, park, and overnight in marginal places like truck stops or Walmart. Maybe too cramped if you are staying in one place for a week or two, but seems like a great way to cover lots of ground in comfort. Sorry if this has been suggested before, I can't read all this again....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #115

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Chase weather and adjust elevation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
Hello again, Bob moved on and now has come back as Montana Brad.Update...
Hey Montana Brad Bob

Still tent camping, but always interested in great threads like this one on possibly upgrading my camping.

From research (of trailers) and tent experience, vent in ceiling is great to combat interior moisture. Tent camping in low 40's, always have top vent open and side windows partly unzipped - you'll need to wrap up in a thick sleeping bag, but you'll get a dry good night's rest.

Odd to say, but propane is a wet heat source. As mentioned by others, vent when using propane - cuts down on the moisture and provides safe use.

We don't always have control of our travels, but I am very comfortable in my cabin tent here in NC during the Summer. If I'm camping in Summer, I'm up in elevation. The Smokey's were great this Summer, nights in the low 60's.

This thread had a lot of discussion about insulation and keeping warm or cool. Are you planning to stay in extreme weather locations? Will you chase cooler weather?

If you have control of your travel (cool or warm spots) it may not matter with the insulation. And as recommended, buying used and modifying to your specific needs and wants may be the best first run at this.

Good luck
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #116

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Odd to say, but propane is a wet heat source.
built in RV furnaces are like home furnaces, they are exhausted to the outside, so no moisture is introduced to the interior. you will always see something like this on the outside of the RV behind the furnace...
Attached Thumbnails
FurnaceSuburbaExhaustAssy[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #117

Name: Connie
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I would like to say, Montana Brad, They are all bouncy houses going down the road and some roads are not that smooth. So no matter what you get there will be problems no matter which one you get. I think you going to check out these trailer factories is your best bet. You will know when you see it. It is like every thing we purchase in our lives, you will know when you see it. Just have fun and enjoy ever adventure in your life. The advice on here is always helpful and will get you where you need to go.
Happy camper,
Connie
Maneelu is offline   Reply With Quote