Oliver Legacy II??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Geez, $64.5K for a used one!!! Does that include the driver???

Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver 23, Ram Cummins
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Geez, $64.5K for a used one!!! Does that include the driver???
Asking price, or "in your dreams" price, has little to do with what something will actually sell for.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Casita Independence
Texas
I know this is an old post, but we own a Casita and someday if we can justify camping enough we will buy an Oliver. The wife and I saw one at a Casita Rally and we both walked away and said to ourselves, that's our next trailer. For us it's not the cost of trailer so much as it is the use of it, so we are on a two year test of the Casita to see if it's worth the upgrade, or not. We feel that if we don't camp at least once a month them upgrading would not be of interest to us.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #18

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I hear you trainman.....I've been researching for 3 yrs planning for my retirement next spring. When I discovered the fiberglass models, I said to myself "that's what I want", primarily for the light weight, durability (no leaks), and resale value. I really like the Eggcamper (even toured the plant) and the Lil Snoozy (6'5" - interior height issue). You can't find even a used one for less than $15-18K.

As time goes on, I now rethinking because of the cost vs usage dilemma. My usage will likely be one long month long trip a yr, and then the occasional long weekend somewhere. So I've made compromises, and know I can get by with a bed on wheels/AC/heat as long as the trailer is lightweight and trustworthy on the road. Interior height is an issue I can deal with, besides my living room will be outdoors at camp. Rainy day? I guess I'll go to local library or museum (Sat TV is my one "wish" luxury - single, TV addict and TV makes good company at night).

Wish I could afford, or justify, the Egg or Snoozy I'm paying more attention now to the $6-8K scamps, casitas, U hauls types, and the $10K savings will allow me to take more trips.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I know this is an old post, but we own a Casita and someday if we can justify camping enough we will buy an Oliver. The wife and I saw one at a Casita Rally and we both walked away and said to ourselves, that's our next trailer. For us it's not the cost of trailer so much as it is the use of it, so we are on a two year test of the Casita to see if it's worth the upgrade, or not. We feel that if we don't camp at least once a month them upgrading would not be of interest to us.

trainman
We’ve had our Casita for 5 years and this fall we plan on making the pilgrimage to Holenwald Tennessee . At this stage in our lives we are more concerned with quality than price . I am too old and too tired to spend countless hours / days screwing around with fixing manufacturers screw ups and shoddy workmanship
I would rather spend my time traveling and seeing America & Canada
Oliver has my wife convinced but I m still not quite onboard
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #20

Smith Valley, Nevada
It's an interesting consideration to factor in how often the trailer will be used as you consider the price. This is a very personal calculation.

Some are willing to have something that simply keeps the rain off their head, since they don't go very often, and don't see value in spending any more than necessary. Others want a better experience and are willing to pay more to have it, even if not used a lot.

I enjoy the experience of going so much. And when we go, I have a lot of fun tinkering and relaxing and enjoying what the trailer offers. The trailer isn't just a means to an end, it's part of the experience. A little cabin. Since I don't go very often, I want each trip to be trouble free, comfortable and fun. I really enjoy using the amenities the trailer offers. I also like to go in "bad" weather. Bring on the snow, the rain, etc. Few things are more fun than a trailer in a snow storm or rain storm. Few things are more of a relief than going into the trailer and shutting the door on a windy evening.

So, for me, it's not how often we go that justifies the cost, it's the quality of each trip. The trailer is where we live while we're away from home. It even serves well as an extra bedroom when needed.

Resale value is another subject that doesn't really factor in, in a typical way, for me. We all know that fiberglass trailers hold their value very well, and that's nice, but I didn't but it to sell. I bought it to use. And I bought it after careful consideration and lot of experience. I don't plan to sell it and it would be hard to "upgrade" to something nicer. I've already upgraded from sleeping on the ground, in the back if the truck and in tents. And I don't want anything bigger. I make small improvements and keep it up well, for us, not for somebody else.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Casita Independence
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We’ve had our Casita for 5 years and this fall we plan on making the pilgrimage to Holenwald Tennessee . At this stage in our lives we are more concerned with quality than price . I am too old and too tired to spend countless hours / days screwing around with fixing manufacturers screw ups and shoddy workmanship
Nothing wrong with thinking in the future, it's what keeps us young.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #22

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Steve, You'll really enjoy a factory tour at Hohenwald. I receommend it highly. We just did it in May, even though we already have an Oliver. Rodney is the new sales guy and very personable. He spent all the time we wanted looking at all phases of the construction. It's very informal. Their glass work is amazing with their cored construction, rolling out all wet glass, hand laid areas and their careful mold maintenance.

One of the big takeaways, is that they are not in a hurry. They are not pressing the employees to get more volume done at all. And as they ramp up production, they have already considered how many they can make comfortably. They are also open to improvements and suggestions. They recently incorporated a water tank fix into all the new trailers that I designed, for instance. Their trailers are gradually evolving with frame, wiring, water system, equipment and cabinetry improvements.

There will also be another rally in Guntersvile, Alabama next year that you might be interested in. It's not too far from Hohenwald and a very nice place. We had, I think, 74 Ollies there this year!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #23

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Steve, You'll really enjoy a factory tour at Hohenwald. I receommend it highly. We just did it in May, even though we already have an Oliver. Rodney is the new sales guy and very personable. He spent all the time we wanted looking at all phases of the construction. It's very informal. Their glass work is amazing with their cored construction, rolling out all wet glass, hand laid areas and their careful mold maintenance.

One of the big takeaways, is that they are not in a hurry. They are not pressing the employees to get more volume done at all. And as they ramp up production, they have already considered how many they can make comfortably. They are also open to improvements and suggestions. They recently incorporated a water tank fix into all the new trailers that I designed, for instance. Their trailers are gradually evolving with frame, wiring, water system, equipment and cabinetry improvements.

There will also be another rally in Guntersvile, Alabama next year that you might be interested in. It's not too far from Hohenwald and a very nice place. We had, I think, 74 Ollies there this year!
The thing that impressed me about Oliver is that at least from the pictures and what I’ve read , Oliver doesn’t build their trailers by guessing or hoping something will work and then if it doesn’t expect the customer to make the repairs .
What I see from Oliver is top notch , professional engineering and design
I read an article about a frame failure on an Oliver and the way Oliver handled the problem was a testimony to there great customer service .
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #24

Smith Valley, Nevada
Steve,

They do stand behind their trailers exceptionally well. They make mistakes, but they correct them without a hassle. Their biggest acheivement is the body structure. Excellent in both finish and strength.

There have been at least two significant frame improvements since the beginning where one cracked. The whole frame/body system is interesting on an Oliver. It's more like a boat sitting on a boat trailer, where the body has a lot of integrity of it's own and is merely being supported and towed along by the trailer. Whereas, traditional travel trailers use the frame for all the rigidity of the house.

The forward area of the frame has five box members gussetted together in a very strong structure. Behind that, there is a steel truck assembly that cradles the aluminum frame and mounts the suspension system. The lower part of the outside fiberglass shell is heavily reinforced and contoured for strength where it bolts to the frame. That shell is one piece with no wood floor, just reinforced fiberglass. So, the frame and the body work together and sit on the steel truck. This also encloses all the internal systems, so when looking underneath, you see gell coated fiberglass and no plumbing. Out back, the aluminum bumper flips down to reveal a compartment for the hoses and waste connection.

After going through the factory and talking to other owners, I have more unanswered questions about the design and want to go again on the tour. Next year on the way to the rally might be the time.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #25

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I've never been inside an Oliver but did get to inspect the exterior of one parked at what seemed to be an off site sales office in Hohenwald. Wow! Every fitting seemed to be heavy duty, marine grade (if that's a term) and several quality steps above normal RV stuff. I don't know if this translates to any functional difference but it sure looked good. I doubt anyone would want to tow these beasts with a half ton PU, so there's good justification for a new truck!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #26

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I doubt anyone would want to tow these beasts with a half ton PU, so there's good justification for a new truck!
Well, the larger Oliver, the Elite ll starts out at about 4,600 lbs. Geared up it can be at 5,000 lbs. A half ton truck is fine.

I've had enough plastic grab handles and fittings come off in my hand to appreciate the stainless steel fittings. It does make a difference.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #27

Name: Nick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Vermont
Escape Trailers? More size options, 80% of the quality, 40% of the price vs. Oliver. (We took the Oliver tour as well.)
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #28

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I've never been inside an Oliver but did get to inspect the exterior of one parked at what seemed to be an off site sales office in Hohenwald. Wow! Every fitting seemed to be heavy duty, marine grade (if that's a term) and several quality steps above normal RV stuff. I don't know if this translates to any functional difference but it sure looked good. I doubt anyone would want to tow these beasts with a half ton PU, so there's good justification for a new truck!
We will he purchasing a new truck this fall and two of the undecided criteria are 1/2 or 3/4 ton and gas or diesel. I would not attemp to tow a 23 ft Oliver with my present 1/2 ton truck due to its’ payload limits .
My thanks to Raspy for his very helpful posts

Tags
oliver