Oliver Legacy II??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Oliver Legacy II???

Any folks out there with an Ollie 23'+ AKA LeagacyII out there?

For full timing for 4-5 months, this sounds like a possible option vs the Canadian route with long wait times for new rig.

Feedback from Ollie owners welcomed.

Bat Dude
Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
You'll have a long wait time for an Oliver too, unless you find a used one. That's what I did and I could not be happier. Full timing in an Elite2 would be easy.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 AM   #3

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
oops need to read more specs

Opps having read the specs a bit closer the 23'+ Ollie exceeds our TV capacity!

While the 18' adds a bit more space it offers no improvements for sleeping over our Scamp. Same internal (or narrower) width and rear wall curve.

So other than 4 season insulation, and a bit larger fluid tanks not much different.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 09-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
BatDude, I came to the same conclusion. I have a Casita Deluxe Spirit 17', I don't gain much replacing it with the largest Oliver.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
BatDude, I came to the same conclusion. I have a Casita Deluxe Spirit 17', I don't gain much replacing it with the largest Oliver.

Bigfoot?
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
There are a number of Oliver owners that full time in their Elite II. It is heavy due to the double hull construction. There is a used one for sale over on the Oliver Forums. Mike

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/top...an-antonio-tx/
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
Bigfoot?
WEIGHT ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

Smith Valley, Nevada
The Oliver Elite 2 dry weight is approx. 4,600 lbs.
GVWR 7,000 lbs
Old 02-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
FG Trailers over 17 ft come in 2 categories , expensive and overpriced. I am on the same side of the discussion as Rzrbrn.
, for me the gain doesn't match the price.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #10

Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
FG Trailers over 17 ft come in 2 categories , expensive and overpriced. I am on the same side of the discussion as Rzrbrn.
, for me the gain doesn't match the price.
I would agree that they come in 2 categories, but I would say expensive and more expensive. Overpriced implies not worth the price. We spent a day over in Rice, TX at the Casita factory. They make a nice trailer and it is fairly priced. We also spent a day in the Oliver factory. They make a nice trailer as well, and it is also fairly priced. When you look at the construction differences and features you understand why Oliver can expect a premium price. For a lot of folks the premium price is not worth the premium features, but for some it is. It’s nice to have choice. Mike
Old 02-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
I would agree that they come in 2 categories, but I would say expensive and more expensive. Overpriced implies not worth the price. We spent a day over in Rice, TX at the Casita factory. They make a nice trailer and it is fairly priced. We also spent a day in the Oliver factory. They make a nice trailer as well, and it is also fairly priced. When you look at the construction differences and features you understand why Oliver can expect a premium price. For a lot of folks the premium price is not worth the premium features, but for some it is. It’s nice to have choice. Mike
There are trailers that are expensive because they are of high quality.
There are trailers that are expensive not because they are of high quality but simply because they are overpriced
Value doesn't necessarily follow price

I agree it's nice to have choices
Old 02-24-2018, 08:09 PM   #12

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
I agree completely. The double hulled and fully insulated body with lots of molded in reinforcements and backing plates, the aluminum frame, all pipes and tanks located internally for great cold weather use, which is hard to do, but there is nothing hanging down underneath. High quality wheels and LT tires, four batteries mounted over the axles, stainless steel hardware everywhere, etc, etc.

It's actually surprising that Oliver can produce them for the price, given how much work goes into each one. They are designed different and built different. It's the first trailer I've had that doesn't have designed in weaknesses to save a couple of bucks, or that wasn't just slapped together as fast as possible. I'm sure there are other excellent brands out there too, but I feel mine was worth the cost.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #13

Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
There are trailers that are expensive because they are of high quality.
There are trailers that are expensive not because they are of high quality but simply because they are overpriced
Value doesn't necessarily follow price
In general, this is true! That’s why I limited my comments to Casita and Oliver and what I saw and experienced. Both are good trailers and fairly priced, both are expensive. In each case you get what you pay for. Mike
Old 02-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
95%

well 95% of us can dream of running an oliver!! and it is an outstanding trailer sort of in agreement with the majority here but still nice to dream!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Geez, $64.5K for a used one!!! Does that include the driver???
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #16

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Geez, $64.5K for a used one!!! Does that include the driver???
Asking price, or "in your dreams" price, has little to do with what something will actually sell for.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I know this is an old post, but we own a Casita and someday if we can justify camping enough we will buy an Oliver. The wife and I saw one at a Casita Rally and we both walked away and said to ourselves, that's our next trailer. For us it's not the cost of trailer so much as it is the use of it, so we are on a two year test of the Casita to see if it's worth the upgrade, or not. We feel that if we don't camp at least once a month them upgrading would not be of interest to us.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #18

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I hear you trainman.....I've been researching for 3 yrs planning for my retirement next spring. When I discovered the fiberglass models, I said to myself "that's what I want", primarily for the light weight, durability (no leaks), and resale value. I really like the Eggcamper (even toured the plant) and the Lil Snoozy (6'5" - interior height issue). You can't find even a used one for less than $15-18K.

As time goes on, I now rethinking because of the cost vs usage dilemma. My usage will likely be one long month long trip a yr, and then the occasional long weekend somewhere. So I've made compromises, and know I can get by with a bed on wheels/AC/heat as long as the trailer is lightweight and trustworthy on the road. Interior height is an issue I can deal with, besides my living room will be outdoors at camp. Rainy day? I guess I'll go to local library or museum (Sat TV is my one "wish" luxury - single, TV addict and TV makes good company at night).

Wish I could afford, or justify, the Egg or Snoozy I'm paying more attention now to the $6-8K scamps, casitas, U hauls types, and the $10K savings will allow me to take more trips.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I know this is an old post, but we own a Casita and someday if we can justify camping enough we will buy an Oliver. The wife and I saw one at a Casita Rally and we both walked away and said to ourselves, that's our next trailer. For us it's not the cost of trailer so much as it is the use of it, so we are on a two year test of the Casita to see if it's worth the upgrade, or not. We feel that if we don't camp at least once a month them upgrading would not be of interest to us.

trainman
We’ve had our Casita for 5 years and this fall we plan on making the pilgrimage to Holenwald Tennessee . At this stage in our lives we are more concerned with quality than price . I am too old and too tired to spend countless hours / days screwing around with fixing manufacturers screw ups and shoddy workmanship
I would rather spend my time traveling and seeing America & Canada
Oliver has my wife convinced but I m still not quite onboard
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #20

Smith Valley, Nevada
It's an interesting consideration to factor in how often the trailer will be used as you consider the price. This is a very personal calculation.

Some are willing to have something that simply keeps the rain off their head, since they don't go very often, and don't see value in spending any more than necessary. Others want a better experience and are willing to pay more to have it, even if not used a lot.

I enjoy the experience of going so much. And when we go, I have a lot of fun tinkering and relaxing and enjoying what the trailer offers. The trailer isn't just a means to an end, it's part of the experience. A little cabin. Since I don't go very often, I want each trip to be trouble free, comfortable and fun. I really enjoy using the amenities the trailer offers. I also like to go in "bad" weather. Bring on the snow, the rain, etc. Few things are more fun than a trailer in a snow storm or rain storm. Few things are more of a relief than going into the trailer and shutting the door on a windy evening.

So, for me, it's not how often we go that justifies the cost, it's the quality of each trip. The trailer is where we live while we're away from home. It even serves well as an extra bedroom when needed.

Resale value is another subject that doesn't really factor in, in a typical way, for me. We all know that fiberglass trailers hold their value very well, and that's nice, but I didn't but it to sell. I bought it to use. And I bought it after careful consideration and lot of experience. I don't plan to sell it and it would be hard to "upgrade" to something nicer. I've already upgraded from sleeping on the ground, in the back if the truck and in tents. And I don't want anything bigger. I make small improvements and keep it up well, for us, not for somebody else.

Tags
oliver