on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Another job source I forgot to mention in one of my previous postings is Quartzite. A number of seasonal employers hold court there.

If one is full timing, it’s getting time to start thinking of heading north. It’s nice to take a month or two to make the trip. This year that time came WAY too early for me. My first job was in Park City, UT, starting at the end of March. Having lived in Park City in the past I knew what it was going to be like but it still felt like getting use to winter all over again. Down around Bisbee and Naco, AZ, I was wearing T-shirts and watching roadrunners.

I pulled out Don Wright’s book and DeLorme’s AZ and UT map books and planned the route up. Wright’s book is pretty good but even with the current edition, many fees will be higher than those stated in the book. Also, sometimes a place listed in the book is no longer there. So, anyway, it has its faults but it is still a very useful resource for those who don’t like staying in RV parks.

It was a good trip up. I took about three weeks for it on secondary roads, driving less than 150 miles a day with stopovers for a few nights here and there. Remember Nilsson’s ‘Land of Point’? Good road CD, though definitely not for everyone.

I generally make it a point to not be traveling the roads on Sundays since so many businesses are closed but I stuck around Bisbee for a Saturday night film, the Dharma Film Series film "Zen Buddhism: In Search of Self". Very good footage. So, on Sunday it took me seven hours to go 130 miles. The rig started to feel a little squirrelly after a while. Got out and noticed a low tire (and yes, I had topped them all up). Broke my lug wrench trying to take the wheel off. Called Good Sam road service (well worth the annual fee) and the truck that came out also could not get the wheel off. Finally something was worked out. The next day I purchased four new LT tires. The light truck tires ride rougher than P tires but since I do so many gravel roads and have a lot of weight in the Cherokee, it seemed like a good route to go. They are working well. Not for everyone but fulltimers tend to carry more weight.

I stopped on some BLM land east of Safford, AZ for one night, went for a hike along a dry creek bed that had heavy brush along both sides. Had the living daylights scared out of me. A javelina came charging out of the brush a few feet away, making so much noise that I would have jumped ten feet in the air if it was possible. Sure did not need my afternoon mug of yerba matte to give me my p.m. boost after that.

I don’t do state parks during the summer season, too many people, but in the off season, many are not too bad. Fool Hollow state park in Show Low has some nice well-spaced sites and a lot of trees in a few of their loops. Expensive though. Plenty of hiking around the shoreline. First hookups in nearly a month and a half—a bit of a treat—and NPR access. Life is good.

Second Mesa up on the Hopi reservation has free camping next to the culture center. It’s a network of dirt roads so you have quite a choice of places to park. There’s a restaurant right there and good hiking cross-country to the north. A lot of stray dogs, however, so I could not even take Meadow and Onyx out on their leaches so we only stayed there one night. When you get close, be sure to tune into 88.1, the Hopiland volunteer radio station. BUT the main reason for going up there was to visit the Tsakurshovi shop again. If an Indian shop could be described as funky, this is the place. Not a lot of glass and bright lights. Locals go there for ceremonial and household supplies. There’s all kinds of unmarked bags of powders and herbs. I go there for the DON’T WORRY – BE HOPI shirts. This is where the design originated. My last one was wearing thin. Good quality shirts, nice colors, and a well thought-out design between the two lines.

Through the reservations you’ll probably see more horse warning signs than cattle signs. And yes, the horses (and llamas) will be right out there grazing along the shoulder. Drive safe.

The gods must be smiling, I managed to get my favorite site again at Sand Island state park in Bluff, UT, right on the San Juan river. $10 a night. There were some geese on the other side of the river the first evening. It was spring break and two teachers from Moab were staying in a Scamp a couple sites over.
I set up my bench and did some silverwork for a few days. Back in January, Saturn and Venus were low in the predawn sky and one morning the waning thin crescent moon was in a nice position with the planets. Gave me an idea for a silver pendant and I finally go around to making it.

Moab was a zoo with Jeep week so I just stopped for supplies and kept going. Besides my friends are both in education so they split for spring break.

As one is getting close to Price on rt. 191, Horse Canyon goes off to the east and there are plenty of places to boondock down the dirt roads going off north and south.

Staying in Heber for a month and a half as I teach silver classes in Park City. Sure nice to be doing it again. Then it’s on to my summer job as a campground host.

Passed a painted fiberglass trailer (not sure of the make) south of Globe, a Casita by Salt River (be sure you have good brakes), another Casita south of Moab, and the Scamp in Bluff. Four fiberglass trailers out on the road in only a few hundred miles. A record sighting for me at this time of year. Not bad.

This is another aspect of fulltiming that I like, being able to take so long heading north and south each year (except for this spring). Not many other rigs in the primitive campgrounds or out on public land. But then again I like solitude. At this time, I have my own way of life, my own simple rules—my own realm. It seems, at times, that I am almost living just outside of society, coming in for supplies and socializing, and going back out into nature. There’s so much out there that I feel I’ll never get my fill. Livin’ my bucket life. We shall see.

Sebastian
Attached Thumbnails
sand_island_I_web_12.jpg  

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is one of the best feel good stories I've read in a long time. And I certainly appreciate you taking the time to keep us all filled in. May your bucket (list) be overflowing for many years to come.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just in case you haven't been there, take a drive out from the Moki Dugway to Muley Point. Best place I have ever camped (It's just inside a piece of the Glen Canyon Natl Rec Area, so dispersed camping is free), with overlooks of Monument Valley and the Goosenecks of the San Juan. Goosenecks State Park is also free, BTW.

The Grand Gulf Primitive Area (NF) gives sites, plus trucked water and LP, to folks who will patrol the trails in the area. I was talking to one a few years back and he had use of an NF truck to drive down and then rope down a cliff to patrol the areas closer to the river.

Keep in mind that if you are being paid in UT, be sure to document that you were there less than six months. Otherwise, not only your earned income is taxable in UT, but all other income you may have, like investments, etc., because they will draft you into their tax system. CA is another state that does that.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #4

Thanks, Donna. I know I enjoy reading posts where members add something about how they look at life. One then learns a bit about the other members of the forum. Some forums are pretty dry since they mostly post facts or just talk about ‘things’. Others are much more personable, as well as, informative.

Where’s the Grand Gulf Primitive Area, Pete?
Since my workamper job last year was seven months in Kanab, UT, I ran into that problem. Oh well. Even with both jobs this year, I’ll be under six months, however.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
GGPA is on UT 261, near its intersection with UT 95 near Nat Bridges NM. UT 261 starts in Mex Hat, goes by Goosenecks SP, climbs the mesa as a high pucker-factor steep gravel road, passes Moki Dugway and heads north to UT 95. Geographically, it is dead south of Nat Bridges.

If you look carefully at the maps, they usually change from a solid line to a hollow line for that road up the mesa with the big signs warning against taking MHs or trailers up.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #6

Thanks Pete.