One year fulltiming not ready to end it - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2016, 04:53 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
One year fulltiming not ready to end it

Hi all,

Its coming up on my one year anniversary of full timing in my Trillium and I am so cozy in the trailer. It feels spacious as I need and now, not only do I have one cat but two. There is plenty of vertical space in there and they use some of the ample storage areas as hidey rooms.

Looks like I'll be going from the Oven to the freezer soon though as my job will take me away from the Mojave and north to a much colder place, in Montana. I'll be working full time near East Glacier, (housing provided,) and part time a couple hours east, (friends will let me park the trailer in their lot, next to their house so I can live there part time each week.)

The cats will stay at the housing provided while I'm away a couple days each week.

Thing is, I really feel sad about leaving from full timing, its been so awesome.

Granted I've learned a lot and know I'll have to prep a bit better before my next iteration of it. I figure I'll be in Montana up to 5 years before I come back south to another desert job, probably in Phoenix.

In the meanwhile I've got to get some new tires for the trailer before our Cross country drive. The last stretch of road to my current place was pretty rough and the tires are shot.

Happy new year too!
Jen
Old 12-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Very cool that you've made it work, Jen! Enjoy the far north...the cold won't last long. I think they're having summer early this year in Montana and I heard it is expected to last almost a week! Sweet!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Safe travels, Jen. I don't know exactly what you mean by "shot," but when it comes to my trailer tires I feel that if they aren't 'aged out' (over 6 years old) and and they aren't bald, they can still be used if necessary. I mean, whereas vehicle tires get dangerous if I don't have at least 3/32" or thereabout of tread, trailer tires can still work with less tread because they just have to follow along, so if the highway conditions are decent it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, if you have the money for a new set of tires and you crave the peace of mind, there's no reason not to get them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Um, let's give credit where credit is due. "Turn, Turn, Turn" was written by Pete Seeger. The Byrds covered it. Tige
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I thought they got it from the Bible.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's a good thing, in my opinion. I lived in a little Toyota Chinook for most of two years, and it kind of took away the magic. I got really sick of that space. I used to love it. Just sat in there, looking around, feeling cozy, loving it. It's too bad.

Now I've got a 17' Bigfoot. Much more space. I live in the camper, but I spend as little time as possible in there. I love it, and I don't want to get sick of it. Much more space than my Chinook, but still...it can happen.

I do a lot of house sitting, and have also had periods where I have housing through work. I go with it. Any chance I have to spend time in a house or somewhere else, I do, because I know I'll be spending plenty of time in my camper. So I do my best to not get sick of it. So far it's working

Good luck! You're going to a beautiful place, as you know.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:34 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
Very cool that you've made it work, Jen! Enjoy the far north...the cold won't last long. I think they're having summer early this year in Montana and I heard it is expected to last almost a week! Sweet!
haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Safe travels, Jen. I don't know exactly what you mean by "shot," but when it comes to my trailer tires I feel that if they aren't 'aged out' (over 6 years old) and and they aren't bald, they can still be used if necessary. I mean, whereas vehicle tires get dangerous if I don't have at least 3/32" or thereabout of tread, trailer tires can still work with less tread because they just have to follow along, so if the highway conditions are decent it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, if you have the money for a new set of tires and you crave the peace of mind, there's no reason not to get them.
Hi,

They are shot in that when I parked I noticed the rubber was peeled back like a flap about a foot, which proceeded to grow a little bit since parking it. its just this side of a blow out and I am lucky I made it. I did a cross country trek and the last half mile was really rough.

Jen
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
It's a good thing, in my opinion. I lived in a little Toyota Chinook for most of two years, and it kind of took away the magic. I got really sick of that space. I used to love it. Just sat in there, looking around, feeling cozy, loving it. It's too bad.

Now I've got a 17' Bigfoot. Much more space. I live in the camper, but I spend as little time as possible in there. I love it, and I don't want to get sick of it. Much more space than my Chinook, but still...it can happen.

I do a lot of house sitting, and have also had periods where I have housing through work. I go with it. Any chance I have to spend time in a house or somewhere else, I do, because I know I'll be spending plenty of time in my camper. So I do my best to not get sick of it. So far it's working

Good luck! You're going to a beautiful place, as you know.
Thank you so much,

Yep, the timing is right, might also just need to get out of Fort Irwin, isolated as it is.
Jen
Old 01-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Oh, you're right then, they are definitely shot! Time to play taps over those tires.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:18 AM   #10

California
screeching hold on for another year

Looks like I will remain here for one more year. After I agreed is when the final offer for the Montana job came through.

I figure timing is everything and I couldn't have known the offer was coming so, maybe they will hold it for another year. If not, I know I love the desert for now!!

Getting new tires soon, within the month.

Jen!
Old 01-27-2017, 03:38 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Looks like I will remain here for one more year. After I agreed is when the final offer for the Montana job came through.
I figure timing is everything and I couldn't have known the offer was coming so, maybe they will hold it for another year. If not, I know I love the desert for now!!
Getting new tires soon, within the month. Jen!
Sounds like a win win to me Jen. I remember your questions before moving to the desert and you've learned to live with it and love it. How did your shade tarps work out and hold up for you? We had some fairly high winds here recently in my desert that taught my new neighbors some lessons with 50+ wind . I told them it comes up like flipping a light switch.....they believe me now. Just a thought on your tires and I have no clue if you move your TT. Since you're going to be there for another year, maybe just get a better used tire for the duration of your stay and get new ones before the next big move. They'd be a year newer and not have the UV breakdown time on them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Hi Jennifer, about those tires too...you do use tire covers don't you? If I was staying in the desert I would definitely have them on my camper and probably also get them for the TV for the days I didn't need to drive.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #13

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Gennaver, have you thought of taking your trailer and parking it near East Glacier, and maybe renting it out as a place to sleep. I would consider as Glacier NP is on my bucket list. My sister found a good deal in Florida and is staying in a couple motorhome parked next to their time share for a month. Cheap lodging opportunity for my sister, and a little unexpected cash for the renter.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #14

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
If she owns a piece of property to park it on, that would work great. If not...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming