Our Fulltiming Costs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our first year of RVing we kept track of the number of PB&Js we ate. We'll often have 1/2 a sandwich or more when we go out for a hike. If we have a big lunch we often will have one for supper. We split a banana every day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #16

Florida
Spreadsheet Picture

I'll take a picture of it tonight. Unfortunately the spread sheet contains a lot of formulas that won't translate via a picture.

The spread sheet automatically sums daily and by category and calculates the amount spent on average per day and the amount left to spend per day.

If anyone wants the real thing they can PM me. I will post a picture when we stop for the night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Click here to download a copy of Norm's .xls spreadsheet file.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #18

Florida
Thank you Jon.

Ginny's eating input: When we go out to eat we typically go at lunch, it costs less and the portions are more reasonably sized plus typically we are not traveling about after dark, the Moose are too big and our eyes are failing. As well, in the German style, large meals are better digested when eaten at noon.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #19

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
... As well, in the German style, large meals are better digested when eaten at noon.
: ) It is also the ZENthing to do. Much easier on the mind and body. Been having basically my only _meal_ before 1300 most of the last 30 years.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #20

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Thank you Jon for uploading the spreadsheet, I've added it as a worksheet to my Excel file for our upcoming trip. And thank you Norm and Ginny! When we bought the Boler my DH was 70 and the PO wondered if that was too old. The few trips we made have been wonderful. Although we sold our 'masoleum' (aka 'The Big House') and moved into a condo-apartment 12 years ago, we constantly find we have too much space and too much stuff. Your posts have been a true inspiration. Looking forward to reading about your progress on your new renovations list and your next trip.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #21

Florida
Bonnie and Claude,

I just posted our latest to do list.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #22

Ontario
Registry
Thanks, Norm. Was just looking at it. As ours is a 13' trailer we are a wee bit more limited but many of the modifications from your various lists are things I will certainly be considering. We just had the gaucho removed and a 2-person dinette built. Picking it up Tuesday. Spent over 4 hours today picking the seams out of the former gaucho upholstery (it was good, relatively new fabric) so I can re-cut and re-sew it.

Seems to me these fibreglass (Cdn spelling) RV's are time-consuming hobbies, 'n'est-ce-pas'?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #23

Florida
Bonnjie and Claude,

In a sense our's is time consuming but we liv in it more than anywhere, it literally is our home.

We are just working to make it as comfortable and useable as possible.

I will say our wheel-less home is a lot more work.

Last year we spent a couple of months working on the trailer and probably similarly this year.

Many of the things we're doing are improvements on last year. I think you need to live it in it for a while to know what you need. When we bought our first RV we parked it in the front yard and moved out of the house into the RV to figure it out.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #24

Ontario
Registry
I agree, the six weeks in Texas were a real eye-opener! As Claude was with the Armed Forces, we moved a lot (13 times in 30 years) and used to apply the same principle to each new home--we lived in it a bit before making any decisions regarding renovations or decor. The main difference between brick-and-mortar dwellings and our trailer(s) is knowledge of how things work and what can realistically be done to the structure and interior. Despite having passed the last 14 summers in a 33' trailer, this has been a real learning experience! Claude is the same age as you so, being newbies, we were hesitant at first. We hope to continue with the Boler until, as I believe you said, "they pry the keys out of our hands".
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #25

Name: Raemond
Trailer: 1993 13' Scamp
Oklahoma
Thank you for that!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Norm & Ginny, thanks for sharing. The more data I see, the more variance I see. Well into Year 2 my own monthly still surprises me. It really underscores how personal expenses are. Maybe our paths will cross some day...
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #27

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Thank you for sharing also. I'm single and own my own home and a Casita - all paid in full. I'm retired and travel about 5 months/year. I don't have a simple spread sheet like you but I do track my expenses.

Last year I spent.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #28

Florida
Bob,

I should have said somewhere that in no way have we tried to minimalize our expenses. Probably outside of fuel we could further reduce our expenses, even our medical insurance could be reduced.

If we were fulltimers we could reduce our fuel expenses by staying longer in one place and more extensively exploring an area instead of coming home after a 7-10 month trip.

I view ourselves as sort of being in the mid range of RV spenders, not being extravagant in any area except for our sat dish, Internet and phone service.

Ginny and I find the stimulation of the road, the discovering of the new and unknown to be the fabulous part of the experience. We also love the 'the just us' part, happy in our sharing and togetherness.

All in all, the reality is that one can live inexpensively in a small RV.

Wishing you well in your travels and maybe we'll bump into you in the future. This year we're in FL and possibly TX, heading to Newfoundland in the spring.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
fulltiming