Our Fulltiming Costs - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #41

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Thanks very much for your thorough explanation.
I know that we have more tow vehicle than the trailer needs, but we have a 65 gal fresh water tank in the back of the pickup for extended boondocking. After four years of doing this I don't think we will need that tank in the future (or maybe a much smaller one) and may want to downsize our tow vehicle when the pickup needs replacing. Your info will help me think about that future purchase.
Safe and fun travels to you both.

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #42

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Just jumping in here a bit unprepared.
I have a 2005 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, automatic.
It is a completely stock truck, I even buy original equipment tires.....ops it does have the leveling kit installed that raised the front of the truck so the truck sits level.

I use the on board trip meter to get my fuel mileage.

I drove 900 miles last spring to pickup my burro and then 900 miles home with a few night camping on the way.

I got better mileage pulling the trailer than not.....My wife and both felt like I drove both ways the same as I always drive......

I was a professional trucker for about 5 years and do tend to drive conservatively, I was thinking it had to do with the air flow kind of like the nascar effect when they team up......

My mileage went back down after I started driving the truck with no trailer.
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,

This summer I plan to upgrade our water tank to a 20 gallon tank from the Scamp's 12 gallon tank, more in line with the black and gray tank capacities.

We always carry about a half tank of water, more when we know we're going into a boondock situation where there may not be water. Minimally we fill our tank just as we go into boondock. Twenty gallons seems to be enough for most of our situations.

Mpg is again getting more important. Gas prices at our corner gas station have increase $0.40 a gallon in about 2 weeks.

We used about 1000 gallons last year and that kind of increase amounts to $400 over 1000 gallons, not overwhelming but I fear just a beginning.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #44

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
I have a Ford F150 4X4. I also get better mpg when towing my trailer. I believe it's due to the fact that I was driving highway with the trailer but usually do city driving without.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #45

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by papas34 View Post
Just jumping in here a bit unprepared.
I have a 2005 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, automatic.
It is a completely stock truck, I even buy original equipment tires.....ops it does have the leveling kit installed that raised the front of the truck so the truck sits level.

I use the on board trip meter to get my fuel mileage.

I drove 900 miles last spring to pickup my burro and then 900 miles home with a few night camping on the way.

I got better mileage pulling the trailer than not.....My wife and both felt like I drove both ways the same as I always drive......

I was a professional trucker for about 5 years and do tend to drive conservatively, I was thinking it had to do with the air flow kind of like the nascar effect when they team up......

My mileage went back down after I started driving the truck with no trailer.
OK, this should be a fun post to talk about!
My first thought was you must have the version of the Burro with the 4 cyl engine in it, eh?
Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by papas34 View Post
I got better mileage pulling the trailer than not...............
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
........ I also get better mpg when towing my trailer.............
I guess I'm just not living right.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #47

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
We fall in the slightly better under tow group too.

Although it's not a phenominal amount our 8 cyl Durango consistently gets at least 2 mpg better while towing...15 versus 13. After scratching our heads a bit we finally figured it's a combination of driving a bit more cautiously over longer distances under tow versus city type driving without.

One of the forum members told us that he'd bet the mileage wouldn't vary much with or without Li'l Scamp when we bought the bigger vehicle after the 1995 Chevy S-10 6 cyl we gave to our GrandMonkey.

He was right...the Durango hardly knows the trailer is back there...I often look in the rear view just to make sure I din't loose it somewhere.

Would love to see the fuel costs come down as that is usually our greatest expense while on the road. If we could realistically tow Li'l Scamp with our 30+ mpg 2007 Pontiace Vibe, they'd be a matched pair where ever we went. Alas...such is not to be.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #48

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
I reset the trip meters when I left home....checked it when I got there and drove home with out resetting the meter....I used the cruise a lot both ways.

I know my mileage is not effected much when I pull my car trailer unless I pull my 49 Packard over the rockies....that one killed my mpg

But the Burro was the first time the mpg went up.
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #49

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In the last couple of weeks, I subscribed to: rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more and enjoy reading your blog and also, I found it interesting to look through her "Money" section since she details things like fixed expenses and her monthly costs. It gives one a lot to think about, all the "what ifs" or at least her share of them.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #50

Name: Sue
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe with 2005 Chevy Express tow vehicle
Georgia
Thank you Cathy for mentioning my blog here (and for following it, too!). I post my financial information so people can see how I'm "living on less and enjoying life more." I hope it's helpful.

RVSue
Perfect Tow Vehicle: 2005 Chevy Express Van
Best Little Trailer: 2011 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe

rvsueandhercaninecrew
rvsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #51

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Thank all of you for sharing your stories. Hope to hit the road mid 2014. Getting the truck first. I am partial to Dodge or Toyota. Only two real requirements are A/C and power windows. A crew cab is a must as there are four footed babies traveling with us.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #52

Name: Myron
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
We have a 19 foot scamp, and have talked about what you are doing. Thanks a lot for your expense tracking. It sounds like your having a great time. How is your Scamp holing up with constant traveling???
Myron Ury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #53

Name: Anita & Ken
Trailer: 1975 Boler, tow vehicle is 2007 Silverado
Manitoba
Thanks for all the great info! We will be retiring in about 9 months - plan on spending winters where there is NO SNOW and then heading back into Canada for the spring/summer/fall months. For the most part, we are considering full-timing in our Boler, using our Savannah Van as the tow/storage vehicle. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome.
A Storgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #54

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Ury View Post
We have a 19 foot scamp, and have talked about what you are doing. Thanks a lot for your expense tracking. It sounds like your having a great time. How is your Scamp holing up with constant traveling???
The Scamp is holding up well, very well considering it's 24 years old. The only thing we'll be replacing this year will be the carpeting.

Over the years we've really only had trouble with the frame. We have reinforced it and it seems fine.

We have had the greatest time. If you go to the Scamp camp in FL stop by our place. Glad to have you over if we're in FL at the time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #55

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Storgard View Post
Thanks for all the great info! We will be retiring in about 9 months - plan on spending winters where there is NO SNOW and then heading back into Canada for the spring/summer/fall months. For the most part, we are considering full-timing in our Boler, using our Savannah Van as the tow/storage vehicle. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome.
Anita and Ken,

We as well seek no snow in the winter and as well often head to Canada in the spring, for us typically to Newfoundland.

If you make it to FL contact me and stop by, we'd love to meet you.

I don't know what size Boler you have but I know a number of people who've accomplished a lot of travel in a Scamp 13. Life on the road is usually people dependent not rig dependent. Our west coast children have been very happy in their Scamp 13.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #56

Manitoba
Awesome! ours is a 13' boler. We have had it for over 12 years, but not travelled any distance. Can't wait for our adventure to begin. If you are ever in NW Ontario, give us a message -- would love to show you around
Old 05-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #57

Florida
If we head west early in the fall we usually go north thru NH and go across Ontario to avoid the busy states of Ohio, and IL. I'll let you know when we do it and send you a PM with my info.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #58

Manitoba
that would be great!!!! We are stuck working in Dryden, ON until the end of January. Would love to meet/host you
Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #59

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Tough finding open campgrounds after Labour Day in Northern Ontario.. Not impossible just tough

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming