Overnight at Truck Stops - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #61

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Byron, you've answered your own question because of your out of the way locations. I've known many long haul truckers back in the day and what Madjack has said was talked about by many of them....locations here and there across the country. If you want to see the other side, stop at the rest area on I5 coming into San Diego county from the north. That one is scary from who's hanging out there even during the day .
The best bet is to stay out of CA.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #62

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Must be my upbringing but I don't think anything in life is free or that I am entitled .
I am retired and if I couldn't afford or pay for something then I would go without or go back to work.
I find no pride or sense of accomplishment or bragging rights by traveling around the country mooching off the kindness of others
I may be frugal but I am not CHEAP

Jann Todd pretty well summed up my feelings.
There are numerous low cost camping options that are available
It seems some people would rather work way to hard trying to get out of work.
I am waiting for someone to make a list of Walmarts and Cracker Barrels locations that have the best dumpster diving.
Then you could get a free meal with your free camping.
Your entitled to it !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 AM   #63

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Must be my upbringing but I don't think anything in life is free or that I am entitled .
I am retired and if I couldn't afford or pay for something then I would go without or go back to work.
I find no pride or sense of accomplishment or bragging rights by traveling around the country mooching off the kindness of others

I am waiting for someone to make a list of Walmarts and Cracker Barrels locations that have the best dumpster diving.
Your entitled to it !!!
I've heard this attitude before. But, when I spend a night at Walmart or a truck stop I spend a bit of money at that location. As for rest areas I've paid for those with my taxes so I just using what I've already paid for.
If you think you have to pay for a spot to sleep then go ahead and keep the RV Resorts in business. Many of us won't do that.
I for one see no need to spend $30 to $50 for a few hours sleep.
If I'm going to spend more than a few hours I'll find a campground, usually NP or FS or some other federal campground.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #64

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Interesting thread...to each, his/her own way of doing things. For us, if Mom is not happy, I'm not happy. She likes a nice campground with amenities (water, electric) and quiet sleeping.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #65

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Your entitled to it !!!
You way think of it as 'mooching', but I call it making logical financial decisions. It seems that to travel from point A to point B at a reasonable cost and utilizing the legal methods to do so (especially on a limited budget), makes sensible economic sense. If I am offered a chance to park curbside at a friend's house, I'm certainly not going to say; "No thanks, I take nothing for free". So if a local business offers free stay-overs, I see nothing wrong in using them. But on the other hand, I'm not in favor of those who take advantage of that courtesy, by turning their parking area into a week long campsite. Walmarts allow campers to overnight because it pays back in business, pure and simple.
If people choose to always pay for everything they use, it is their right to do so. But I also don't think less of those who choose to manage their budgets by utilizing free offers.
Attached Thumbnails
walmart overnight.JPG  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The owners of $500K rigs stay in Walmart lots for the same reason the owners of a $5K Scamp might. They are in transit from point A to point B and are looking for a reasonably safe place to park and sleep for a few hours for safety's sake.

I did not say camp, because this is not camping; it is simply overnight parking. Rest areas used to provide that service for travelers in transit, but for a variety of reasons they are not always available. Walmart recognized a need and a business opportunity.

Steve, I suppose you eschew all senior discounts, too. After all, the mere act of drawing breath for another year hardly qualifies as "work" meriting compensation.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #67

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Spend $39.95 once a year for Passport America. Then you can stay in a decent safe park with full hookups, showers, etc. for half price. Also no truckers coming in, etc. Getting to unsafe to boondock at Walmart. Stayed in some that was a nightmare at night. I'm happy to spend $10-$15 for a decent place. Boondocking at Walmart just to sleep and leave is OK but for more than one night that is being stingy and ruins it for those that want to stop for a night. We still do sometimes if driving late into the night just to sleep, eat breakfast and leave.
When we travel we often have reservations for our destination, but despise the idea of planning each stop enroute.
Overnighting allows for a spontaneity, and flexibility not available when required to be someplace on time each day. With overnighting you can stop when you like or when you're tired or hungry.
If you spend too much time on lunch, or exploring a local antique shop, its no worries about meeting a schedule, making reservations or finding your half price camp park full up when you arrive.
Overnighting, Boondocking, Camping, or staying at an RV resort, each has different, or at least nuanced, definitions in my lexicon and each has a place in my repertoire of options for safe and comfortable lodging in the same bed every night while traveling.
Surely it is just as safe to sleep in a locked trailer in a Walmart parking lot as it is to shop inside, or to carry valuable goods across that open parking lot and load them into an unlocked car with a purse over your shoulder or a wallet in your pocket as it is to stay at "Bates RV Resort" and take a shower in shared shower house with no lock on the door?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #68

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Floyd my sentiments exactly I never know our schedule we just take off from one point to the other. Pulling a trailer is different than staying at a motel thus we are not schedule people.

Part of trailering is enjoying things as you travel as you said spend too much time somewhere and you are on a schedule your life is just ruined for the day. I do not want any pressure while traveling any more! I spent 35 years in sales fighting appointments finally I stopped doing that I just showed up did it affect my business no matter of fact it helped because then I didn't have to limit my time. The big buyers got more of my attention other salesmen knew I was a big-hitter they would see my labels in the storeroom but they never figured out my sales style!

Life is so much better now!! Saying this when I disagree with a post I don't not attempt to make myself look better by belittling anyone you lose everytime!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #69

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Exclamation Truck stops

I’m a professional commercial driver (drive for the movie business) and I also travel extensively for pleasure. It is very rude to hinder in anyway the ability of a commercial driver to utilize a truck stops facilities, a big truck cannot park where non commercial vehicles can. I would not take any spots that might be the only ones left for a truck. If the place has lots of space available it shouldn’t be a issue!! When I’m traveling with my personal trailer I would not hesitate to park at a truck stop but I have a lot more options for a safe place than a professional driver would. (Offramps, parks, Walmart’s, rest areas,church’s etc)

Another idea, join your local Elks lodge, there are lots of Elk lodges across the country with fantastic Rv facilities and they are great people and whatever you spend goes to great charity causes!!!!!
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #70

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
I’m a professional commercial driver (drive for the movie business) and I also travel extensively for pleasure. It is very rude to hinder in anyway the ability of a commercial driver to utilize a truck stops facilities, a big truck cannot park where non commercial vehicles can. I would not take any spots that might be the only ones left for a truck. If the place has lots of space available it shouldn’t be a issue!! When I’m traveling with my personal trailer I would not hesitate to park at a truck stop but I have a lot more options for a safe place than a professional driver would. (Offramps, parks, Walmart’s, rest areas,church’s etc)

Another idea, join your local Elks lodge, there are lots of Elk lodges across the country with fantastic Rv facilities and they are great people and whatever you spend goes to great charity causes!!!!!
i agree. i make it a point to never park where the big commercial rigs do, unless i am directed there by signage at the stop. i realize they are working and need to stop for rest. I don't want to impede them in any way.
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #71

Name: Brent
California
Truck stops

Right on! Truckers don’t have nearly as many options as we do, they have no choice but to stop and rest at certain times. I have always found truckers to be really great people doing a difficult job under really difficult conditions and buried under mountains of mandatory red tape!!!!
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #72

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I parked off the pavement at a truck stop, In an uneven road grade dirt space.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #73

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The one truck stop we overnighted in had a separate area for campers to park so as to not interfere with the truck parking.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #74

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Right on! Truckers don’t have nearly as many options as we do, they have no choice but to stop and rest at certain times. I have always found truckers to be really great people doing a difficult job under really difficult conditions and buried under mountains of mandatory red tape!!!!
...as a 2million mile trucker, I couldn't say it any better...we all have different styles of camping...because I stay within a 500 mi circle when camping, I never spend any extra time at truckstops or restaurant/box store parking lots...it is usually (for me) less than 3-6 hrs to my next campground and I have no need to spend the night in a parking lot...I like electricity and water and look for campgrounds with such amenities...I am also a very broke (financially) person and look for federal cg's or other place that honor my geezer pass or give discounts to older or handicapped visitors and try not to spend more than 10bucks per...we prefer to get to a campsite, setup and then take tours to local attractions and towns...parking lots of any kind are no place I wish to spend anytime...I want trees around me, not yahoos and vehicular traffic............
madjack

p.s. as my old Daddy used to say..."to each their own, said the old man, as he kissed his cow".....................mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #75

Missouri
parking

rest areas point rvs and trucks to one spot cars to another what does that mean?

Most of the big truck stops have separate areas for trucks!

problems solved

bob
Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #76

Name: CalCop
California
Well this topic is almost as inflamatory as the discussions of generators and solar panels.
Mutual respect goes a long way in having a peaceful discussion
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #77

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
Well this topic is almost as inflamatory as the discussions of generators and solar panels.
Mutual respect goes a long way in having a peaceful discussion
True enough. It's a bit simplistic but I see a pattern in many threads. There are the pokers, and then the reactors. The pokers enjoy stirring things up a bit. The reactors go from thread to thread looking for something they can take personally and then let the pokers have it.

Neither is really contributing to the discussion in a positive way most of the time. It's better to see a thread as an opportunity to HELP someone or contribute something of value. If someone reacts negatively to your contribution, you can fight or move on. You decide which will give you more peace and happiness.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:05 AM   #78

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:

I quote this post because of the beginning of one particular sentence: "It is very rude....."
Unfortunately, rudeness has become more and more prevalent in everyday life, and professional truck drivers cannot claim innocence any more than any other driver. Some, not all, drive as if they have an attitude that the interstate highways belong to them and nobody else should be using them. I could not count the number of times a large truck has barreled down an on ramp and failed to yield the right of way to vehicles already traveling on the interstate. Of course, this has become a common practice for all types of vehicle drivers, not just truckers. Then there is the professional driver who will take 2 or 3 miles to pass another truck, blocking the passing lane for an inordinate amount of time. Again, this practice is not limited to the professionals. Also rude, go to some Crackerbarrels and see just how many non-RVs are parked in designated RV spaces, probably due to an attitude such as "Why should I walk an extra 50 feet from a different space more appropriate for my short vehicle."
While it may be true that professional drivers do a difficult job with lots of red tape, it doesn't make them unique or "special" in any way. I personally would not park in a space that is designated for a commercial vehicle, but there is a desperate need for more civility and respect on the road and in parking facilities from all drivers, whether professional or not.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #79

Missouri
repost my thoughts

If you are a professional driver I respect you I have talked to drivers at truck stop rest areas. I find no resentment at all when I am parked in the truck lane i wish maybe the states would post rv only areas but then that cuts out things maybe leave it alone!

I find everyone of you respectfull and friendly

bob
Old 10-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #80

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Unfortunately, rudeness has become more and more prevalent in everyday life, and professional truck drivers cannot claim innocence any more than any other driver. Some, not all, drive as if they have an attitude that the interstate highways belong to them and nobody else should be using them.
I have definitely noticed this over the last decade or two. I had to smile when I read this. On my trip last week to the UP of Michigan, while traveling up I-75 @ 60 MPH, which is pretty normal for me when towing, a semi came barreling up behind me, and tailgated unbelievably close. I can only assume his intention was to intimidate. I was in the right lane, but he had to wait a few minutes to be able to pass. Just as he pulled out to pass me, I saw a billboard on the side of the highway, placed by some professional truckers association, admonishing cars not to tailgate the semis. I pointed to it, but I'm sure he didn't see it. I thought, He would do a lot more damage to me if I had to brake or maneuver quickly than I could ever do to him.

I've had other incidents with "professional" truck drivers, one time a bulk propane hauler, that required calling the police because of a road rage reaction from him when I wasn't speeding like he wanted to do. It's not like it used to be when truckers were courteous and tried to set an example.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote