Overnight at Truck Stops - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #71

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Truck stops

Right on! Truckers donít have nearly as many options as we do, they have no choice but to stop and rest at certain times. I have always found truckers to be really great people doing a difficult job under really difficult conditions and buried under mountains of mandatory red tape!!!!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #72

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
I parked off the pavement at a truck stop, In an uneven road grade dirt space.

Later Kenny

Old 10-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #73

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The one truck stop we overnighted in had a separate area for campers to park so as to not interfere with the truck parking.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #74

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Right on! Truckers don’t have nearly as many options as we do, they have no choice but to stop and rest at certain times. I have always found truckers to be really great people doing a difficult job under really difficult conditions and buried under mountains of mandatory red tape!!!!
...as a 2million mile trucker, I couldn't say it any better...we all have different styles of camping...because I stay within a 500 mi circle when camping, I never spend any extra time at truckstops or restaurant/box store parking lots...it is usually (for me) less than 3-6 hrs to my next campground and I have no need to spend the night in a parking lot...I like electricity and water and look for campgrounds with such amenities...I am also a very broke (financially) person and look for federal cg's or other place that honor my geezer pass or give discounts to older or handicapped visitors and try not to spend more than 10bucks per...we prefer to get to a campsite, setup and then take tours to local attractions and towns...parking lots of any kind are no place I wish to spend anytime...I want trees around me, not yahoos and vehicular traffic............
madjack

p.s. as my old Daddy used to say..."to each their own, said the old man, as he kissed his cow".....................mj
Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #75

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
parking

rest areas point rvs and trucks to one spot cars to another what does that mean?

Most of the big truck stops have separate areas for trucks!

problems solved

bob
Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #76

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Freedom Casita
California
Well this topic is almost as inflamatory as the discussions of generators and solar panels.
Mutual respect goes a long way in having a peaceful discussion
Old 10-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #77

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
Well this topic is almost as inflamatory as the discussions of generators and solar panels.
Mutual respect goes a long way in having a peaceful discussion
True enough. It's a bit simplistic but I see a pattern in many threads. There are the pokers, and then the reactors. The pokers enjoy stirring things up a bit. The reactors go from thread to thread looking for something they can take personally and then let the pokers have it.

Neither is really contributing to the discussion in a positive way most of the time. It's better to see a thread as an opportunity to HELP someone or contribute something of value. If someone reacts negatively to your contribution, you can fight or move on. You decide which will give you more peace and happiness.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:05 AM   #78
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Iím a professional commercial driver (drive for the movie business) and I also travel extensively for pleasure. It is very rude to hinder in anyway the ability of a commercial driver to utilize a truck stops facilities, a big truck cannot park where non commercial vehicles can. I would not take any spots that might be the only ones left for a truck. If the place has lots of space available it shouldnít be a issue!! When Iím traveling with my personal trailer I would not hesitate to park at a truck stop but I have a lot more options for a safe place than a professional driver would. (Offramps, parks, Walmartís, rest areas,churchís etc)

Another idea, join your local Elks lodge, there are lots of Elk lodges across the country with fantastic Rv facilities and they are great people and whatever you spend goes to great charity causes!!!!!
I quote this post because of the beginning of one particular sentence: "It is very rude....."
Unfortunately, rudeness has become more and more prevalent in everyday life, and professional truck drivers cannot claim innocence any more than any other driver. Some, not all, drive as if they have an attitude that the interstate highways belong to them and nobody else should be using them. I could not count the number of times a large truck has barreled down an on ramp and failed to yield the right of way to vehicles already traveling on the interstate. Of course, this has become a common practice for all types of vehicle drivers, not just truckers. Then there is the professional driver who will take 2 or 3 miles to pass another truck, blocking the passing lane for an inordinate amount of time. Again, this practice is not limited to the professionals. Also rude, go to some Crackerbarrels and see just how many non-RVs are parked in designated RV spaces, probably due to an attitude such as "Why should I walk an extra 50 feet from a different space more appropriate for my short vehicle."
While it may be true that professional drivers do a difficult job with lots of red tape, it doesn't make them unique or "special" in any way. I personally would not park in a space that is designated for a commercial vehicle, but there is a desperate need for more civility and respect on the road and in parking facilities from all drivers, whether professional or not.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #79

Missouri
repost my thoughts

If you are a professional driver I respect you I have talked to drivers at truck stop rest areas. I find no resentment at all when I am parked in the truck lane i wish maybe the states would post rv only areas but then that cuts out things maybe leave it alone!

I find everyone of you respectfull and friendly

bob
Old 10-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #80

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Unfortunately, rudeness has become more and more prevalent in everyday life, and professional truck drivers cannot claim innocence any more than any other driver. Some, not all, drive as if they have an attitude that the interstate highways belong to them and nobody else should be using them.
I have definitely noticed this over the last decade or two. I had to smile when I read this. On my trip last week to the UP of Michigan, while traveling up I-75 @ 60 MPH, which is pretty normal for me when towing, a semi came barreling up behind me, and tailgated unbelievably close. I can only assume his intention was to intimidate. I was in the right lane, but he had to wait a few minutes to be able to pass. Just as he pulled out to pass me, I saw a billboard on the side of the highway, placed by some professional truckers association, admonishing cars not to tailgate the semis. I pointed to it, but I'm sure he didn't see it. I thought, He would do a lot more damage to me if I had to brake or maneuver quickly than I could ever do to him.

I've had other incidents with "professional" truck drivers, one time a bulk propane hauler, that required calling the police because of a road rage reaction from him when I wasn't speeding like he wanted to do. It's not like it used to be when truckers were courteous and tried to set an example.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #81
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Several posts are under review and have been removed from this thread.

Please, please, please, keep discussions on topic; and remember that personal attacks are out of bounds.

Thank you.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #82

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
IIRC, at Galveston one can pay $10 for an annual permit and camp on the beach for as long as desired. Provided that beach has not washed away now....

Free camping at rest areas in national grasslands. I have stayed at the one just outside Felt, OK in the panhandle, and it was super quiet.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #83

Missouri
your secret places

mike mind posting some of your finds?

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #84

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Don't do it!!

Secrets are becoming un-secret all too fast on their own these days, thanks to this here interwebs.