Overnight at Truck Stops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Overnight at Truck Stops

We frequently overnight at truck stops. When possible we park in the RV section, but many don't have one, so we park in the back with the semis.

So far we have not had issues with any of the drivers, but I have read a couple of times in forums that truckers don't like people pulling trailers parking in their truck stop spaces.

I can understand their point of view, if there are no spaces for them to park and they must take their 10 hour driving break.

Do you do anything to avoid issues with truckers? Have any of you had issues and what did you do?

Rick and Vicky Reed
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just don't park there. It is the wrong thing to do. Look for a Walmart.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
If that's the case....trucker could look for a Walmart...many do
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think being a truck driver is crappy enough without the aggravation of RVs taking up space at a TRUCK stop.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
During the day I will pull into the truck parking area but not overnight. I try find a spot they don't use. I prefer reststops to truckstops and there I'll overnight in the car section.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW: Last time I "camped" at Walmart, everything else there were trucks.

+1 The truckers buy all the fuel, eat all the food, pay for the showers, etc. at truck stops. So taking some of their parking sounds like a bad idea.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm confused as to what is a truck stop? I am aware of rest stops for trucks and cars and rv's and truck fuel centers where trucks and cars fill their tanks. Is there a third category out there?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #8

Texas
By truck stop, I was referring to businesses such as Pilot, Flying J, TA and Loves where there is normally a restaurant, car gas station, truck gas station and space for trucks to park for their mandatory rest time.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I knew you were referring to those and they appreciate anyone's business.
There's never a sign saying no campers either...they know you're gonna fuel up and buy and maybe eat there.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We stopped at a Pilot/FlyingJ in Dothan (Al) on the way home from ScampCamp2015 in Sebring (Fl).

We were trying to avoid/out-run winter storm Octavia and there seemed to be no better choice for getting a few hours of much needed sleep.

There were 2-deep parking spots on the Denny's side of the building that were undoubtedly originally meant for 2 cars. They were much too small for an 18-wheeler, but an SUV and a 13 foot Scamp fit just fine. We parked at the 2-deep spot farthest from the door.

After getting a few hours of sleep, we ate an early breakfast at the Denny's, fueled up the SUV, and got back on the road. It felt like a safe spot, we tried not to inconvenience anybody, and I don't think anyone really minded. (At least, I hope not!)

Just my own experience. As always, YMMV. [emoji6]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
By truck stop, I was referring to businesses such as Pilot, Flying J, TA and Loves where there is normally a restaurant, car gas station, truck gas station and space for trucks to park for their mandatory rest time.
Okay, I understand your terminology. I have never overnight at one, they always seem too bright and noisy. I do stop at rest areas and do park in the truck area, taking a slot from a truck. Normally squeezed between two other trucks as most the rest areas designate rv's as trucks vs automobiles. If full I may end up in the auto area which seems more sparse. Since they are not well lighted and I'm there at night I keep my trailer lights on as those big rigs like to swing in and with my lights I want to be noticed. I installed an extra Hopkin's 7 pin receptacle and fused the 2 pins to allow my lights to be on and not pull from my tow.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Be VERY careful about parking next to a refrigerator truck. Sometimes their generator exhausts to the side and it will blow right into your open window in the Casita.

Try not to park near semi trucks if you can help it, although I do it sometimes myself.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I don't know how many, but several states do not allow overnight in rest areas, often posting a 2 hr limit. Virginia is one example but there are several others.

One other place I've overnighted at a few times is at Cracker Barrels.

Walt

I recently joined Passport America to give them a try. With their 50% discounts that may be a low cost alternative, though not free. I'd appreciate learning anyone else's experience with them.

And I'd happily pay a small fee for a quick overnight, even without hookups.
Next week I'm embarking on a 6 week trip from Virginia, to British Columbia
to LA and back to Virginia. I sure can't afford to pay $30-$40 per night all the way.

Walt

Walt
Old 08-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #14

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
We overnighted at a Home Depot. Empty lot and parked at the far end of the lot.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #15

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Walt: Is there date restrictions on the Passport of America sites? Good Sam gives a 10% discount.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #16

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Walt, I'm a happy Passport America user. Once you get used to the restrictions, it's a great way to stop, have a nice hot shower, recharge the battery with shore power, refill the water tank, and dump tanks, with full hookups. Otherwise I stop where I can use my Geezer pass or boondock. Good luck with making that huge circle in six weeks!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #17

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
RE: Truck Stops

The sign with the arrow going into Rest Stops says Trucks/RV's and my tax dollars are paying for that Rest Stop.
Rest Stops are much safer in my opinion, then Walmart. To each his own!
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #18

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Overnight Parking at Home Depot, Cracker Barrel, Lowe's and other business's such as that sounds like a good idea and can be a great place to park HOWEVER you need to be aware that some cities, counties and other jurisdictions have laws forbidding overnight parking. That's why some of the Wal Marts do not allow parking due to local laws. You can pretty much bet if the local Wal Mart does not allow overnight parking it's due to a city ordinance restricting overnight parking and that ordinance will also apply at these other locations. Having said that the local police may not check these other locations when they have nothing to do.

Chances are you will never have a problem HOWEVER don't be upset if you get rousted at night and end up with a citation. With all the new RV's being sold today (500,000 + this year) many cities are dealing with this overnight parking issue in ways not beneficial to RVer's and traveler's as the "Tiny House" movement has brought may people looking for cheap places to park their tiny house. RV or tiny house from the local's perspective there is no difference. They do not want either one of em!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
We stopped at a Pilot/FlyingJ in Dothan (Al) on the way home from ScampCamp2015 in Sebring (Fl).

We were trying to avoid/out-run winter storm Octavia and there seemed to be no better choice for getting a few hours of much needed sleep.

There were 2-deep parking spots on the Denny's side of the building that were undoubtedly originally meant for 2 cars. They were much too small for an 18-wheeler, but an SUV and a 13 foot Scamp fit just fine. We parked at the 2-deep spot farthest from the door.

After getting a few hours of sleep, we ate an early breakfast at the Denny's, fueled up the SUV, and got back on the road. It felt like a safe spot, we tried not to inconvenience anybody, and I don't think anyone really minded. (At least, I hope not!)

Just my own experience. As always, YMMV. [emoji6]

Ray
Similar situation for me. The one time I've stayed at a Flying J, it was because I didn't want to stop until about 10 pm (heading toward home in a hurry) and there were no good CG choices in the area. I parked by the restaurant (IHOP) on the side opposite the truckers. I got a good sleep (not too noisy and I had good window coverings), then went in for breakfast in the morning. No problems. A few others were there doing the same.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #20

Texas
We had a bad experience at Cracker Barrel. We were the only ones parked in their parking lot. At about 2am a car pulled up right beside our trailer and just sat there for about 1/2 an hour. There were 4 guys inside smoking. We don't know what they were doing, because they left without ever getting out of the car. It was one of those experiences where you are thinking, should I call 911? Now we park where there are others staying overnight.

As far as truck stops. We pulled in late to a truck stop in the Texas panhandle. There was a spot beside the trucks were it was too short for a truck, so we took it. It was beside an empty cattle truck. Since we carry a generator and it was hot, we ran the AC all night and the smell didn't get in the trailer. But you could sure smell it when outside.