Part timing without traveling - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Lisa, there is a park and ride in Hooterville now. Not many folks seem interested in using it, or carpooling, which seems weird to me. I have posted on community boards, used the state of California Carpool website and gone through my employers programs trying to find a carpool partner. I am pretty sure most So Cal folks are still in a state of denial about having to pool resources. And the way this area is built, as you know, makes it almost impossible to survive without a car.

The train schedules for the Inland Empire do not favor those remaining in the area for work. They are all geared towards going into LA. This also seems weird to me, coming from Portland where crosstown routes are as common as routes going INTO downtown. So Cal has a long way to catch up to the public transport groove. Unfortunately, most folks don't have time to wait for it. If it ever happens at all.

We do have a company car and we do get paid for mileage. If the trip is out of town, it's a plane and rental, or just the rental. I use all those resources when possible.

Pushing for telecommuting seems the most likely "relief" for a lot of us. Once again, the lawyers need to be involved to justify the sure complaints of those that don't get to do it.

My schedule is SO irregular that it makes it hard for folks to rely on me to maintain any kind of reliability for sharing as well. It's hard to get partners. All want a regular pedictable schedule.. I can't blame them.

As far as being subsidized by my employer, that wouldn't happen.. it was MY choice to move here, and it's not their problem, really.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
As far as being subsidized by my employer, that wouldn't happen.. it was MY choice to move here, and it's not their problem, really.
You are absolutely right. I was not suggesting that your employer subsidize you for your trip to and from work. . . only when you are "travelling between facilities" as you mentioned earlier. It's great that you are taking advantage of the mileage reimbursement that your employer does offer and have a company car at your disposal when you are "on the job."

It's too bad that more people in your area are not interested in carpooling or using the Park and Ride. I guess when they reach the realization that the commute is taking such big bite out of their disposable income that they can no longer afford the lifestyle they've grown accustomed to, only then will people make the hard choices that you are considering now. I hope you find a solution that allows you to keep your pups with you full time. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Will I lose interest in my weekend house playing on wheels?

Do you lose your sense of "Home" for your stick built? Does it turn into just the weekend vacation house?
I think you're doing the best you can with the circumstances you have.

My question to you is how is this situation any different from the Full-timing you plan to do later?

Robert and I had a little setback, too. In January, a hit-and-run collision totaled our 2nd car which was parked in front of our house. The insurance paid a fair settlement, but finding an adequate replacement for a 1992 Geo Metro (40 mpg) is proving to be more expensive than we can handle. I have turned over the Odyssey to Robert for weekday use. He drives me to work on Monday mornings and I bring a company truck home for my 3 mile commute during the week.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Transfer to Phoenix with Fender. Sell your house for whatever, cause you'll make it up on the buying end right now. Tons of foreclosures you can name your deal on right by work. Even though we don't escape traffic issues here like any big city, it is not anything comparable to where you are at. You can buy the right situation where you eliminate the commute entirely.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Negotiate with boss for four-day work week -- Cut commuting by 20% and get some long weekends.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #20

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Given your experience, start your own business and get re-hired as an incorporated consultant. Then offset part of your own fuel costs as tax deductions by using them as company expenses.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #21

Be careful about that one -- IRS doesn't want to pay commuting costs and is fussy about home offices. Driving from home office to job site may not be deductible. Get professional advice.

I recall relative who worked for InsCo as investigator and got miles paid for on his personal vehicle. If he was going to drive to incident site, he would always stop at office for something, even if in opposite direction, because from his house directly to site would be out of his pocket. Stopping at office made it two trips, one his and one reimbursed as deductible expense by company.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #22

West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
My question to you is how is this situation any different from the Full-timing you plan to do later?
Ah, the difference is... location, location, location.

Fulltiming will involve working, yes. The day to day logistics are no different in this situation. I will be less "pet" heavy, but will still have a dog to think about.

The difference will be in hours worked, places worked, and WHEN I want/ need to work.

The money from the sale of the house is intended to do one major thing. Pay for my medical insurance. Once I have that cloud over my head taken care of, I can live pretty cheaply, such as how Leslie and Dave are doing, sans the frequent moving. I stay somewhere long enough to collect enough side cash to take time off.. you get the idea.

This current situation will not change my financial obligations, it will only help me bide the time until housing prices rise again, and provide relief from the impending doom of the gas pump that will make it much harder to clear my obligations so I CAN leave.

The social implications that are different is that I will feel like I am on the road for fun.. even if staying somewhere for a period of time. Staying "down the hill" will feel like I am in a hotel room for the week.

I don't know tho. I HAVE done this for up to 3 weeks at a time, but that has been infrequent and was with the knowledge that it was only temporary. Even tho I had all the comforts of home as set up in my 13, and recently the 17, all I wanted to do was go home.. the vibe may change if I know it's for a longer term. ????
Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 1991 Nissan Pickup
Interesting topic, I noticed you mentioned the possibility of a motorcycle? If you have the experience and feel the traffic situation is ok to do this when weather allows it might be a good solution. I have a 250 Ninja that gets between 60 and 70 mpg and has no problem hauling me around and I am sure I weigh a lot more than you do. Also even though it has a small engine it will easily keep up with traffic. Also is easy to ride, handles very good and even buying new is not too expensive. New is about $3500 and should be able to find a low mileage used one for a lot less than that. I would strongly suggest anyone considering something like this to take a motorcycle safety course and be very carefull out there.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #24

West Coast USA
Registry
I used to commute on my bike long ago. Don't have one anymore and rarely get on one anymore either. I would need to try it again.

California is crazy.. I would have to balance (Excuse the pun) the safety aspect. If you are the least bit scared or nervous, you got no biz on a bike.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #25

I'm the other way around -- Like Clark Kent getting in phone booth to emerge as Superman, I get on bike and become Damn Fool! And I have the scars to prove it
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Whats the best way to deal with two residences.. (If you count a 17 footer as a residence )

Even though the reality of this making financial sense is not lost on me, it bugs me to have to do it, and it makes me concerned about using the trailer on weekends to "Camp", which is my # 1 recreational activity right now. Will I lose interest in my weekend house playing on wheels?

Do you lose your sense of "Home" for your stick built? Does it turn into just the weekend vacation house?
Many years ago I did what you are contemplating, Gina - except it was with a tiny little apartment near my job, and my "real house" about 30 miles away. Going home on the weekends did become my "vacation/holiday getaway." Occasionally, I would stay in town for a night on the weekends, if there was some good music (or other) offering, but basically, going home was recreation enough. The logistics of living in two places involved carrying an overnight bag with toiletries and etc., having lots of duplicates (which you probably already do, as much as you've already lived, short term, in your trailer), and a big basket for transporting the perishable groceries on Monday mornings and Friday evenings.

I would say you should try it and see how it goes. You can always revert to what you're doing now, if you don't like the "part-timing," and come up with an alternate plan B.

But, yes, to answer your question, if you do this, I think you will, indeed, lose interest (for the time being) in camping as recreation. You (and the beagles) will appreciate home as your respite from the trailer... except for your favorite rallies, of course!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #27

Name: Lorene
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
Georgia
Gina,
I agree with Mary F that your desire to camp might diminish but I don't see that as "loss of interest" exactly. I suspect you will feel more content in your house on weekends because your camping "need" will be (at least partially) satisfied by your weekday lifestyle. I doubt that your travel "need" will be fully satisfied, however. That might be the factor which motivates you to pack up and hit the road some weekends.

Maintaining doggie happiness sounds like a larger hurdle. If you can work that out, this could be an exciting and enlightening experiment; the best of both worlds. Best of all, if you don't like it, you can be home in an hour.

Now on the motorcycle idea, here are my thoughts:
PROs
cheaper gas

CONs
cost of bike
cost of insurance
cost of excellent quality helmet
cost of protective clothing (jacket, gloves, goggles/eyewear, boots, chaps or kevlar pants...)
finding a way home when the weather turns nasty in pm
cost of jumbo box of Band-Aids

...and the most important question: Is riding a bike something you really want to do??
Old 05-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #28

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi Gina: How flexible is your company on work hours? Could you talk them into 4 ten hour days and reduce your drive by one day?

Have you asked your fellow employees if someone might have a room to rent? If you came to work early Monday AM and left late Thursday PM, you would only need a rental for three nights a week.

Most large companies have local "newsletters" for their employers. That might be a way to advertise your needs.

What about joining with someone who also lives uphill and works downhill to go together on a small rental for the week. You can't be the only one up there having second thoughts about your commute.

You should be comfortable however it turns out. And I think it would be to your company's advantage to help valuable employees like yourself any way it can. It has to be less costly than training someone to your level of expertise.

Good Luck.