Part timing without traveling - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Be careful about that one -- IRS doesn't want to pay commuting costs and is fussy about home offices. Driving from home office to job site may not be deductible. Get professional advice.

I recall relative who worked for InsCo as investigator and got miles paid for on his personal vehicle. If he was going to drive to incident site, he would always stop at office for something, even if in opposite direction, because from his house directly to site would be out of his pocket. Stopping at office made it two trips, one his and one reimbursed as deductible expense by company.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
My question to you is how is this situation any different from the Full-timing you plan to do later?
Ah, the difference is... location, location, location.

Fulltiming will involve working, yes. The day to day logistics are no different in this situation. I will be less "pet" heavy, but will still have a dog to think about.

The difference will be in hours worked, places worked, and WHEN I want/ need to work.

The money from the sale of the house is intended to do one major thing. Pay for my medical insurance. Once I have that cloud over my head taken care of, I can live pretty cheaply, such as how Leslie and Dave are doing, sans the frequent moving. I stay somewhere long enough to collect enough side cash to take time off.. you get the idea.

This current situation will not change my financial obligations, it will only help me bide the time until housing prices rise again, and provide relief from the impending doom of the gas pump that will make it much harder to clear my obligations so I CAN leave.

The social implications that are different is that I will feel like I am on the road for fun.. even if staying somewhere for a period of time. Staying "down the hill" will feel like I am in a hotel room for the week.

I don't know tho. I HAVE done this for up to 3 weeks at a time, but that has been infrequent and was with the knowledge that it was only temporary. Even tho I had all the comforts of home as set up in my 13, and recently the 17, all I wanted to do was go home.. the vibe may change if I know it's for a longer term. ????
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 1991 Nissan Pickup
Interesting topic, I noticed you mentioned the possibility of a motorcycle? If you have the experience and feel the traffic situation is ok to do this when weather allows it might be a good solution. I have a 250 Ninja that gets between 60 and 70 mpg and has no problem hauling me around and I am sure I weigh a lot more than you do. Also even though it has a small engine it will easily keep up with traffic. Also is easy to ride, handles very good and even buying new is not too expensive. New is about $3500 and should be able to find a low mileage used one for a lot less than that. I would strongly suggest anyone considering something like this to take a motorcycle safety course and be very carefull out there.
Duane Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #24

Registry
I used to commute on my bike long ago. Don't have one anymore and rarely get on one anymore either. I would need to try it again.

California is crazy.. I would have to balance (Excuse the pun) the safety aspect. If you are the least bit scared or nervous, you got no biz on a bike.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #25

I'm the other way around -- Like Clark Kent getting in phone booth to emerge as Superman, I get on bike and become Damn Fool! And I have the scars to prove it
Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 AM   #26
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Whats the best way to deal with two residences.. (If you count a 17 footer as a residence )

Even though the reality of this making financial sense is not lost on me, it bugs me to have to do it, and it makes me concerned about using the trailer on weekends to "Camp", which is my # 1 recreational activity right now. Will I lose interest in my weekend house playing on wheels?

Do you lose your sense of "Home" for your stick built? Does it turn into just the weekend vacation house?
Many years ago I did what you are contemplating, Gina - except it was with a tiny little apartment near my job, and my "real house" about 30 miles away. Going home on the weekends did become my "vacation/holiday getaway." Occasionally, I would stay in town for a night on the weekends, if there was some good music (or other) offering, but basically, going home was recreation enough. The logistics of living in two places involved carrying an overnight bag with toiletries and etc., having lots of duplicates (which you probably already do, as much as you've already lived, short term, in your trailer), and a big basket for transporting the perishable groceries on Monday mornings and Friday evenings.

I would say you should try it and see how it goes. You can always revert to what you're doing now, if you don't like the "part-timing," and come up with an alternate plan B.

But, yes, to answer your question, if you do this, I think you will, indeed, lose interest (for the time being) in camping as recreation. You (and the beagles) will appreciate home as your respite from the trailer... except for your favorite rallies, of course!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
Gina,
I agree with Mary F that your desire to camp might diminish but I don't see that as "loss of interest" exactly. I suspect you will feel more content in your house on weekends because your camping "need" will be (at least partially) satisfied by your weekday lifestyle. I doubt that your travel "need" will be fully satisfied, however. That might be the factor which motivates you to pack up and hit the road some weekends.

Maintaining doggie happiness sounds like a larger hurdle. If you can work that out, this could be an exciting and enlightening experiment; the best of both worlds. Best of all, if you don't like it, you can be home in an hour.

Now on the motorcycle idea, here are my thoughts:
PROs
cheaper gas

CONs
cost of bike
cost of insurance
cost of excellent quality helmet
cost of protective clothing (jacket, gloves, goggles/eyewear, boots, chaps or kevlar pants...)
finding a way home when the weather turns nasty in pm
cost of jumbo box of Band-Aids

...and the most important question: Is riding a bike something you really want to do??
Lorene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #28

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi Gina: How flexible is your company on work hours? Could you talk them into 4 ten hour days and reduce your drive by one day?

Have you asked your fellow employees if someone might have a room to rent? If you came to work early Monday AM and left late Thursday PM, you would only need a rental for three nights a week.

Most large companies have local "newsletters" for their employers. That might be a way to advertise your needs.

What about joining with someone who also lives uphill and works downhill to go together on a small rental for the week. You can't be the only one up there having second thoughts about your commute.

You should be comfortable however it turns out. And I think it would be to your company's advantage to help valuable employees like yourself any way it can. It has to be less costly than training someone to your level of expertise.

Good Luck.
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #29

Registry
4 10s have been kicked around for the production folks, but since I am staff, we generally are exempt from that nicety. (We deal with foreign countries who work 6 10s LOL!)

Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
4 10s have been kicked around for the production folks, but since I am staff, we generally are exempt from that nicety. (We deal with foreign countries who work 6 10s LOL!)
I am a construction worker a pipefitter apprentice I will become a journeyman pipefitter in 3 months. At that time, I will travel to work and make much more money. I joined this forum to get information and insight on small rvs. Here is my opinion. In the long run, you need to cost compare. Is the amount of money you save from living in an rv worth it to you? If you think you would dislike it then of course not. But if you would not mind it then it is actually an incentive. A shorter commute and you would still have access to your house on the weekend. I dabble a little in the real estate market. Have you thought about instead of selling your house just renting it to someone? With all the foreclosures there are many people that still need housing. This is because they got kicked out of the one that they were in. Think about that. Find out how much you could get on average for renting out your house. But don t jump into it that quick. You have your house and you have the rv. I say give it a whirl. Plan on getting setup to live in the rv during the week for the next week or two and if you like it then fine. If not then you can make a decision after coming to that conclusion. You always want to test the waters before you take that plunge.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I am a construction worker a pipefitter apprentice I will become a journeyman pipefitter in 3 months. At that time, I will travel to work and make much more money. I joined this forum to get information and insight on small rvs. Here is my opinion. In the long run, you need to cost compare. Is the amount of money you save from living in an rv worth it to you? If you think you would dislike it then of course not. But if you would not mind it then it is actually an incentive. A shorter commute and you would still have access to your house on the weekend. I dabble a little in the real estate market. Have you thought about instead of selling your house just renting it to someone? With all the foreclosures there are many people that still need housing. This is because they got kicked out of the one that they were in. Think about that. Find out how much you could get on average for renting out your house. But don t jump into it that quick. You have your house and you have the rv. I say give it a whirl. Plan on getting setup to live in the rv during the week for the next week or two and if you like it then fine. If not then you can make a decision after coming to that conclusion. You always want to test the waters before you take that plunge.
Very good insights Chase.

Knowing Gina a little, the animals and fresh air location are a big factor to her house. The work location has some of the lowest quality air (pollution) in California so living in the mountains high above that is big.

Now, if renting it out were an option, a friend of mine has come upon a good insight. They use CraigsList to advertise for renters. The people that respond are of much higher integrity and they have had NO problems with their four renters.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #32

Registry
I don't want to be a landlord

Often what I would tolerate in my own home (Hey, it's an old cabin with basic amenities) is NOT what a renter or average person would want.

I can live with the 15a electrical service, small bedrooms and un landscaped yard. Most folks couldn't. I would have to spend some hefty money on upgrades before i could, in good conscience, rent it out.

Mike is correct, overall, where I live is what most folks would kill for for a weekend jaunt to get away from it all. The "town" I live in is a resort (Tho it's a slum resort LOL!) destination for a lot of folks. Ever go rent a cabin and as you are leaving think "Gee, it would be so nice to live here all the time"?.. well, I do.

I have worked with my employer and am now "at homing" for a day or two a week. This is a pilot program based on popular request. I am the first, but we have added one more in the month I have been doing it. It has worked out well.

I even worked at home yesterday.. my day off. It's a good deal for the boss, and for me.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #33

Quote:
I even worked at home yesterday.. my day off. It's a good deal for the boss, and for me.
That's what happened to me when I got my first IBM-clone computer and could take work home in a disk and hit the mainframe with a modem.

I considered going to work for myself but realized that I would be putting in a LOT of overtime...
Old 08-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan A
One of the reasons I bought my Escape was so that I could "live" closer to work. For me work is seasonal and 7 hours away. My new (and fabulous) trailer fits under the covered parking at the office. I can plug in, use the office "facilities" and spend the rest of the time living in my trailer.

I tried this last year in the back of my pickup - didn't work. 4-dr Nissan Frontier with a short box (I'm 6' even).

Our office is in a slightly seedy area, so co-workers are happy about the extra "security" of an egg under the office.

The only thing that beats the 32 second commute is the drive home. This allows for summers in North Van (working) and winters in the Kootenays (not working).
Dirk Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You are thinking about doing exactly what I plan to do. Only I hope to sell my condo before I take off. It's scary, but it might result in some other positive changes. I am a "seasonal" employee for the federal government. I will camp near work for the time I'm working. Then, during the furlough months, I plan to just take off for parts unknown.

As a former and frequent cross-country commuter, having my home nearby and not driving through all that traffic offers lots of peace of mind.

New member, Carol
Carol Ann G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 AM   #36

Saves fuel and wear and tear on both vehicle and self, but also saves TIME and gives you more life.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #37

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
how about trying for one month living in the trailer at work? see how it goes... then a month at home....

a good compare and contrast?
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #38

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
How about option f...find a room with an elderly person who needs a companion at night...trading free room for companionship? Put an ad in the paper...if you have had clearances for your job, or weapon carrying, or whatever reason, you can share that. (You know, approved by so and so...), or perhaps a disabled person that needs help at night? I am not talking about nursing, I am talking about cooking a meal and cleaning a little. Could get housing real cheap!!
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote