Permanent Email Address - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
I have used gmail for over 5 years now. Never a problem! I have a computer geek friend who cracks up anytime someone brings up security! There is no such thing , unless you stay completely off the internet! Sooooooo, just be diligent in your passwords and hope for the best!

As for personal stuff such as banking etc, I have always been told to use a separate computer from the one you use to browse forums, websites, FB, etc. Makes sense, since most play on the computer longer than they do business on the computer. But again, just be diligent with your passwords.

Use of a dedicated computer is probably not really necessary. Our banks know our computers and don't let access without jumping through hoops if there are attempts from an unknown computer. When we've changed computers it does take a while to get to where we don't get a phone call when attempting to access our bank account.

As far as hacking is concerned, hackers aren't interested in a single account, they want thousands. That's why you hear about Target and Home Depot and large number of accounts at risk. The risk vs possible gain to hack a single account are just to high and requires too much work.

The biggest thing you can do when purchasing or banking on line is to make sure you're on an https site. ( NOT - Official .XXX Directory)

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #30
Name: Christian
Trailer: 2014 EggCamper
All over TX and NM
I personally wouldn't put any more stock into the security of your cable provider than I would with something like GMail. In fact, I am far more skeptical of Comcast or whatever than I am of Google. Google actually has competition, and therefore cares about your security to a great extent. What they use your personal info for as far as targeting ads etc. is a separate issue, but their systems are rather secure in my experience. I haven't used my free ISP e-mail address on any account since I was with Earthlink (LOL) back in the late 90s.

I have been using GMail since the invite-only days, about 12 years ago with no incident. I have a separate account for anything that I have to register for online, and a separate account for personal and sensitive e-mail that is basically just an account that sees a lot less traffic and is less susceptible to spammers.

If you want something that is totally off the radar and permanent just to you, set up a domain name and get an e-mail account through it. I have been using iPower for my domain registrations for a decade now and have been really happy with them. Once you have a domain, you can set up unlimited e-mail boxes that no one is likely to ever have any desire or inclination to hack to read your mail. It's a really good system, and will cost you $16 per year for the peace of mind.

If you go that route, it's really easy to set up your accounts on your computer e-mail client like Outlook / Thunderbird / Mac mail, on your smart phone, or via the web on any computer.

C-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
To help prevent my real e-mail address from getting in the hands of the bad guys and spammers I have used a site called It creates a cryptic e-mail address for use when a web site just absolutely must have your e-mail address, you give out this address instead. They forward the emails to you without the sending party event getting your real address. You can create a separate note for each address that serves as a reminder of where that particular address was used. It started out as a free service but like many great things it is now a subscription service.

Of course this is only as good as how one uses it, and all it takes is for a hack like what happened at Chase and all bets are off. I am currently being buried in spam because I trusted their security. 😡

Sent from my LG-V410 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #32
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Byron, I'm not a hacker and not interested in a single account. Whats your personal information, bank and account number.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #33
Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
I queried "Millenicom" just now and see that on 10/16/14 they were bought up by Verizon. No matter what the technology and how widespread, all soon becomes the "Big Three".

Marv Watson is offline   Reply With Quote