Permanent Email Address - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Permanent Email Address

I am going to replace my cable provider with Millenicom and that got me thinking. When I cancel my cable, I will lose the email address that is tied to everything online that requires an email address.

I would rather not use something like gmail or yahoo for security reasons. I plan on creating a web site, so one option is to create an email account(s) tied to that web site. The main drawback to that is if I decide to cancel the web site, I lose the email account unless I want to pay to continue the domain and hosting service. Maybe not that big a deal.

I could use some ideas; but for security purposes, please be careful about how you word things.

Thanks

Old 03-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
I've been using Hushmail.com for the past year. Its a Canadian company. They have much more stringent privacy laws in Canada and I have had ZERO spam using my hush email.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Huck.....

Personally, I've come to believe here's no guaranteed method to ensure one's security. If you use Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo, etc., you of course run a risk of someone hacking their server at some point. And if you set up service w/ Comcast, etc. with your own email service, that can itself be hacked....or lost, if you discontinue the basic service.

My choice has evolved into using both, and being careful about it. I currently use Comcast as my internet provider, and Gmail as my public email address. If I change from Comcast at some point, I retain access to my email/contact list @ the "public" address. If Google gets hacked, my basic provider's still in action. I keep a backup email/contact list away from both locations.

And I avoid the "social" sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc., which seem to me to only magnify one's risk.

Hope this gives you some options to consider.

Frank
Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I've used EarthLink (EarthLink.net) since they invented flat rate internet access back in the last century. (Remember paying by the hour....)

I no longer need them as an ISP, but for about $7 a month I get 2 email accounts and very good technical support for any set-up problems I ever have.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Hotmail and I pay less than $20 a year.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Out of curiosity, what is the worry about someone hacking your email account?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have used Gmail for a few years now, and love it. I have no security concerns with it. Is anything really 100% safe? I love that all updates and changes are on a server, and I can access my contacts and emails from any device with internet connectivity.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Jim

I agree with your comments. I too have for the last six months used gmail exclusively and works well across all devices. Thanks too for the congrats on our new to us 5.0. I guess you can probably figure out whose we bought.

Adrian
Old 03-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have used Gmail for a few years now, and love it. I have no security concerns with it. Is anything really 100% safe? I love that all updates and changes are on a server, and I can access my contacts and emails from any device with internet connectivity.
Do you have any idea how many times userid and passwords for gmail have been stolen over the last few years?

On one hand, it is easy to think that a company like Google would have expert security in place. On the other hand, hackers tend to go big. They are not going to hack a site for 5 or 10 passwords when they can get millions from a site like gmail.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the worry about someone hacking your email account?
Being able to fake an email so it appears you sent it can open up all kinds of problems. For example, many sites allow you to change your password if you forget it by sending an email with a link to their change password page.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #11

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I have no problem with a hacker getting my password and reading my mail. They are welcome to it.
I have separate passwords for my banking etc. and I don't do financial transactions over public WiFi.
U.S. and Canada governments are two of the biggest hackers around.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Being able to fake an email so it appears you sent it can open up all kinds of problems. For example, many sites allow you to change your password if you forget it by sending an email with a link to their change password page.
I have used Yahoo (Canada .ca service), Gmail, as well as a major private telecom internet provider here in Canada for years. Of the three accounts only one has never been hacked - the Gmail one despite what one might think in regards to Canadian services being better protected.

When someone hacks your email account they are not usually doing it to read your personal mail they are more often than not simply needing your account for a large spam send out.

When you have been hacked & someone is using it to send out mass email spam you will know it pretty darn quick! Usually within half an hour. Undeliverable email messages will start to appear in your inbox for messages you never sent. Pretty simple to stop it immediately - just change your password and the hacker is finished.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Thanks too for the congrats on our new to us 5.0. I guess you can probably figure out whose we bought.

Adrian
Uh huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have no problem with a hacker getting my password and reading my mail. They are welcome to it.
This is the way I think too. I just can't be bothered to worry. They are not going to get anything but the contents of my emails. This is kinda like people worrying someone is watching their posts on the internet, I don't worry as I don't post anything online that I would care if it was seen by anyone.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #14

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
But somebody is watching. Governments of U.S. and Canada - world's biggest hackers.