Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo
Actually, you probably do. Chlorine ( bleach ) is used in most municipal water to disinfect.
If you let it sit out for a half hour or so, the chlorine dissipates.
Glen, you are correct I phrased that poorly, sorry. I should have said I would not want to drink water disinfected ONLY with bleach. Most municipal water systems in the U.S. get their water from wells which basically act as a very large filtration system to remove Cryptosporidium.Those that do use surface water take steps to filter out the things that bleach won't kill.
I really don't want to seem like I am beating a dead horse here. Truth be told most surface water found in a place where you would want to camp won't hurt you, most of the time. But like everything we all get to decide what's safe enough and make our decisions.
I just wanted to pass along current standard practices as currently taught in the wilderness education community. The system I linked to is a relatively cheap, light weight
, and safe system to extend boondocking
time is certain situations. To be honest from what I know the limiting factor for most people is tank capacity more than water.