Potable Water/Water Purification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Potable Water/Water Purification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_water_purification

I have been somewhat interested in solar water treatment, using UV and heat to kill microbes and bacteria and spirochetes.

Has anybody been doing this?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
We have a Berkley Water Purifier we have filtered pond water.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Here's a water treatment tutorial:
Water Treatments

Solar water treatment is being used in developing countries, where there is little access to potable water or technology. Pretty easy - get a plastic bottle, cap it, shake it and put it in the sun. I just wouldn't trust it to get rid of some of the things I've seen in water. A good filter system would be more reliable.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
altho boiling consumes a small amount of propane, or firewood if you are equipped for it, I would be a bit more trusting of it.

Seems if the solar exposure is not ideal, you may actually promote bacterial growth. The water will get hot, then warm, then hot, but never to boiling point..creating a warm bath for the little creatures to have a party in.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can put a certain amount of bleach in a gallon of water however it has a strong chlorine taste. You can purchase tablets like the military use. If U get things wrong U might wind up with some ugly stuff growing inside you and ultimately killing you.

I suggest that Just stock up on drinkable water by filling jugs B 4you leave home or purchase drinkable water at Walmart.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #6

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
With decades of backpacking experience and a stint as a outward bound instructor many moons ago. I have to warn everyone about the idea of boiling or using bleach to purify water. There are just too many variables as to water temp, boil times at elevation, and the quality of your water source to use these techniques in any but emergency situations.

A better solution for a boondocking camper would be something like this.

Platypus Gravityworks Water Filter System - 4 Liter - Free Shipping at REI.com

Just grab a bucket of dirty water run it through the filter a gal at a time and let it drain into a 3 or 5 gal jug instead of the 4L clean bag that it comes with. Than pour it into your tank. It does take about 15 minutes to clean 5 gal of water but it will make safe almost anything you will find outside of an industrial waste site or leaking mine tailings.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I just got this for my kids and I to use on our next trip into the Boundary Waters later this summer. Never thought about using it for purifying water for the Scamp. Great idea.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #8

boiling or using bleach to purify

The military has been doing just that for almost ever and your city water supply is chlorinated (That's Bleach)
Google: purifying water with bleach
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #9

Virginia
This is a good article on carrying and treating water while on the road:
Cheap RV Living.com | | Survivalist Vandweller: How to Find, Carry and Treat water
Old 04-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
boiling or using bleach to purify

The military has been doing just that for almost ever and your city water supply is chlorinated (That's Bleach)
Google: purifying water with bleach
With respect, (and with utmost respect if you are a veteran.) But here is the Q&A answer from the #2 hit I get on when I Google the above. (from backpacker.com)

"Q.} I've read that household bleach—add four drops per liter of water and up to eight for questionable sources), then wait a half hour—can be used to purify water. Your thoughts?
Submitted by: Mario, Calabash, NC

A.} Technically, we're talking about water disinfection and not water purification, but otherwise, yes, household bleach will kill germs and make water safe to drink, generally speaking, if you follow your formula. Keep in mind that the pathogen cryptosporidium will probably be resistant to any halogen (in the case of bleach, chlorine). Also keep in mind that you'll want to wait longer if the water is really cold, and you'll want to strain the water if it has a lot of stuff floating around in it. —Buck"

You are 100% correct that the military will train troops to treat water with bleach in a EMERGENCY. However this thread is in the full timing section and my point was that I would not want to drink water disinfected with bleach 365 days a year.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

my point was that I would not want to drink water disinfected with bleach 365 days a year.
Actually, you probably do. Chlorine ( bleach ) is used in most municipal water to disinfect.
If you let it sit out for a half hour or so, the chlorine dissipates.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #12

Virginia
Having lived in the "Third World" for 20 years, I've seen the effects of water-borne illnesses - from parasites, protozoans, bacteria and viruses. Water treatment isn't something I take lightly - especially since I almost died of giardiasis (infection caused by a parasite) in El Salvador. I even wipe off a faucet before attaching a hose, 'cause you never know who/what touched it last. Take water treatment seriously, and use the most effective treatment you can find - especially for unproven water sources.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
side note...my summer post is in a dry campground. My employer provides me with a gravity feed water supply..a 60 gallon barrel w/tap. They deliver water once a week, or more if needed.

Even tho I personally clean the barrel before it's first use each year, and I have "my" barrel that is used each year, (No one else uses *this* barrel) each tank full is treated with bleach. I cook with it, drink it, shower in it.. 6 months a year.

No ill effects yet.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Badger

my point was that I would not want to drink water disinfected with bleach 365 days a year.

Did it for 2 years while Serving in Turkey with my family and all us military personnel did that is except for the few that didn't and turned yellow and got sick. Bleach and a small bottle with an eye dropper that each family were issued upon arrival.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Actually, you probably do. Chlorine ( bleach ) is used in most municipal water to disinfect.
If you let it sit out for a half hour or so, the chlorine dissipates.
Glen, you are correct I phrased that poorly, sorry. I should have said I would not want to drink water disinfected ONLY with bleach. Most municipal water systems in the U.S. get their water from wells which basically act as a very large filtration system to remove Cryptosporidium.Those that do use surface water take steps to filter out the things that bleach won't kill.

I really don't want to seem like I am beating a dead horse here. Truth be told most surface water found in a place where you would want to camp won't hurt you, most of the time. But like everything we all get to decide what's safe enough and make our decisions.

I just wanted to pass along current standard practices as currently taught in the wilderness education community. The system I linked to is a relatively cheap, light weight, and safe system to extend boondocking time is certain situations. To be honest from what I know the limiting factor for most people is tank capacity more than water.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just top up the fresh water and dump since I have to get beer anyway. Come to think of it, I don't really need much water.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I don't normally drink the water out of my water tanks regardless of where I got the water. I carry separate drinking water - you can buy by the bottler or buy in in bulk in a 5 gallon containers at a time - many grocery stores have water refill stations. For back packing I have a small Katadyn water filter that works well & has stood up well to heavy usage although a bit pricey it takes care of most water issues well something some of the cheaper filter systems do not do. Its one of those classic situations - you get what you pay for. The bag filters look interesting but make sure you read all the reviews and fine print on what ever filter system you choose to use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #18

Trailer: Helite
There are far to many places to get purified water.
Your camper and tow vehicle will hold allot of bottled water. Freeze the bottled water before you leave home and put it in your fridge and/or cooler and you will have good cool water to drink.
Plan Before you go and don't risk your health by trying to purify water you find.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #19

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

We regularly camp off grid next to rivers. When needed we refill our water tanks with river water filtered through a gravity filter.

Note that this water-filter set up is used for sink/shower use...we drink and cook with bottled water.

This is what we use:

And here it is set up on the camp/river side of our Parkliner with custom mounted water supply inlet. We utilize a Coleman lantern stand to mount the bag filter:

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Folks that believe water filtration systems to be the end-all of water treatment should bear in mind that none purport/pretend to kill or remove viruses. As is made clear in the instructions with such systems, additional treatment is required for that purpose. Chemical addition is the usual method, some form of chlorine being the most commonly used.

OR of course ultra violet radiation will do it all if done correctly. Which as a matter of fact is the principle behind solar decontamination- the suggestion of which began this thread.

Given clear water and correct light exposure strength/period, that "third world" method has it all!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote