Questions for the FT experts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Drying towels?

I say "Air Dry". Used to be called "streaking".
Steve, could you please post a travel itinerary, so we might try to avoid witnessing your body drying regimen.

Either that, or keep a good supply of brain bleach on hand.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #22

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
An inexpensive duvet cover ( KRÅKRIS Duvet cover and pillowcase(s) - Twin - IKEA ) pushed into a sleeping bag would give you the same feeling. And you could use the duvet on a bed when not camping.

And that is why I love this forum! You hit the trifecta Deborah: cheap, cute and practical.

Carol, I like your idea too, but I need something to fit a double and I think the duvet cover will work nicely.

Thanks to both of you for the great ideas.

Leslie
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #23

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now don't laugh, but I bought Martha Stewart Dog Towels for myself... even came with wash cloths. They've got cute puppy feet on them and I don't own a dog! But, they dry quickly. Far quicker than a terry cloth towel. They're soft. The ONLY problem, is it feels like drying with a chamois. But they do what they're supposed to do and I like the fact they're bone dry in a couple of hours. Even when it's damp and cold out. YMMV

Here's a link to a diferent brand (30" L X 48" W): Rinse Ace Microfiber Towel and it doesn't look they're imprinted with dog paws
You are an expert Donna, like so many other responses I received. I like the towel idea. It looks better then the chammy I have in my sea bag. I have mostly quick dry cloths; could use a few of these towels too--for the dogs too.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:08 AM   #24

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Cheaper is to buy two sleeping bags that are the same so they can be zipped together, one a 3lb. and one 5lb. Gives you a choice of what's the top.
Doesn't have sheets, but easy to throw in the clothes washer and dryer.
Should cost you less than $100.
I never liked sleeping bags much. Even when tent camping I often brought down comforters and layers of comforters and synthetic blankets for durability. One time I brought a tent with me and forgot the poles. I had a futon in the back of my Blazer with the rear seat removed. I threw the tent out and started car camping, using the blankets and quilts. That was the end of tents for me. I knew that as long as the window glass was intact, I could survive any temperature in my Blazer.

Years later trying to pack light for my first sail to St Thomas, via Bermuda, I was the only person who did not bring a sleeping bag. It is only two days of cold and then "shorts and T-shirts" once you hit the Gulf Stream. I limited myself to tlong johns and layers used two blankets--which later became a bottom sheet.

I like having a bed like at home, and love my electric blanket--on shore power and high tonight.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Back to Shopping
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I have a few questions for the experts.

1. I need more towel racks. Any recommendations?
2. Does anyone use the output of the furnace for drying cloths?
3. Is anyone using electric blankets while boon-docking?
4. Propane consumption while boondocking. How long does a filled 20lb bottle of propane (not a Home Depot short fill bottle) last for refrigeration, hot water, and cooking? (when the furnace is not needed)
5. Anyone doing rainwater collection? If so what do you use to collect water?
I'm just curious, are you fulltiming in the truck camper shown as your avatar?
bhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #26

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
We use the camp towels available at camping stores (as others have also noted). The ones we use are from REI _here_. We even switched over to these towels in our full time fifth wheel. They dry in minutes and work great for us.

On towel racks we use the type that clip over the upper edge of a door like this one:
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote