Real ID Act - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just found this on another RV group regarding the proof of address requirements concerned in the Real ID Act. It's up to the states to set their own standards, and of course, some will let Full Timers fall right through the cracks. However, the Escapees in Texas are reportedly doing something about the potential problems there and here is a post from one of the Mail Services in South Dakota which help people set up domicile in SD:

Hi Folks:

(THIS IS NOT INTENDED AS A COMMERCIAL!!!)

My name is Don and I own Americas Mailbox, one of the largest mail forwarding company's for RVer's in the country located in Rapid City SD.

Recently, there has been a lot of concern from folks about the Real ID Act topic and frankly, much of that concern is simply not necessary.

I'd like to put this issue concerning the Real ID Act to rest once and for all.

Here is the official response that I got directly from the South Dakota Driver Licensing Dept. located in the capitol, Pierre, SD. The below text is the exact wording that she sent to me earlier today, 4-30-09.

How other states are going to resolve this issue, I don't know but at least we know about South Dakota.

If anyone has any further questions about the Real ID Act, please feel free to contact me. Our phone numbers are on our website.

#####################

Applicants using a personal mailbox or other mail forwarding service address will be required to provide a receipt from a local RV park, campground or motel for proof of their “temporary” address. In addition, the applicant will be required to complete and sign a form indicating the applicant is a resident of South Dakota and South Dakota is the state the applicant intends to return to after being absent from the state.

There is a requirement for two forms of proof of residency, however South Dakota will be using an exception process for individuals who don’t have a regular permanent residential address. The paragraph above is the exception process we will use.

I apologize for the confusion at the driver exam station and I have visited with the examiners involved.

######################
END QUOTE
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Pete,

Thank you very much for sharing that important information.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
In Florida, to renew, or obtain, a new id or registration in person, you must bring your social security card, or medicare/medicaid card with you to verify social security number. A passport, because it lacks social security number, is unacceptable for proof of citizenship. I've been a Florida resident for almost thirty years (one month short), and it applies to me, too. And, my ninety year old mother in law. (Getting her id card renewed is how I found out about it...)
Of course, if you're a safe driver (as I am, thankfully...), you may renew by mail or internet.
Just a note for anyone who would like to become a Sunshine Stater...

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita
at this time, there are only 3 states, that will allow a Post Office Box, etc., to be used to establish a residential address: South Dakota, Texas, and Florida ... SD has you sign an affidavit when you get your driver's license, that declares SD as your only claimed 'home state', and that "if you leave SD, you intend to return" ... one night's receipt from a campground, etc., will allow you to register for voting, and they are lenient to fulltime RVers, concerning jury duty, too ... the only SD glitch I have found so far, is the County Sheriffs require proof of 30-day residency, to obtain a concealed-weapon permit ... other than that, South Dakota has been great, I'm saving LOTS of $$$ on taxes, insurance, licensing, etc., compared to the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Jimmy M. is offline   Reply With Quote