RV'ing in Europe Books - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RV'ing in Europe Books

Sometime back I mentioned that I had several books on the topic. Here are the two I have:

Take Your RV to Europe
Adelle & Ron Milavsky
ISBN: 1-887140-54-9

Europe By Van & Motorhome
David Shore & Patty Campbell
ISBN: 978-938297-18-5

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Helite
I guess if you can afford to ship your RV to Europe you are rich enough to afford the extremely high fuel prices.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

Actually shipping smaller RV's isn't all that bad. We were going to ship a 17' Toyota Sunrader in a 20' container, and we had a buyer already lined up in Belgium for when we were done in a year. We had to cancel when a special rule for bringing in vehicles over 25 y.o. was brought up. It semed we would need to pass a very expensive TUV (?) inspection before we could drive it on the road. Those under 25 y.o are exempt. Small American RV's are in demand in europe because they are "different".

Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #5

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I like those SunRaders. Very nice idea and the hold their value well.

Why not ship it to Morocco or Turkey and drive it to Europe?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/257082
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Connecticut
It would be interesting to know what is in these books. Posting a link to a book for sale adds nothing to the discussion and only benefits the author or publisher.

I am curious about the costs.

While camping in Nova Scotia in 2010, I met one family of five who shipped their van type RV over from Belgium. They had been exploring for nearly a year and were about to return to Europe. They started in New Jersey and saw Florida, then So Cal and Nor Cal, up to Oregon and BC, and crossed back through Canada to where we met and planed to head South and ship it back from NJ. Quite an amazing journey.

My impression was that the costs only made sense for long term travel on the order of a year or more like these folks.

I did something similar with three friends. We flew to England and bought a VW Combi van. We drove through Belgium, Hollland Germany Austria, and Yugoslavia, to Greece then ferried to Italy, then bee lined to Spain in time to "run with the bulls"--the scariest thing I ever did, then Nice, France and then back to England and sold it for a loss two months later. Still it was far cheaper than shipping an RV. Four of us split the costs and loss making it very reasonable trip per capita.

It just doesn't seem affordable to ship an RV. One reason I like sailing is it is more spacious, and crossing bodies of water is very inexpensive. The advantage to an RV is ground transportation.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #8

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
Looks pretty boring.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #9

I don't know about Katie & Boris, but if we didn't actually "Buy" books, what incentive would anyone have to write them?????

I found the information in the two books I posted above to be well worth the cost, albeit a bit dated by now.

BTW: I would have turned a profit shipping a Sunrader to Europe as I had a buyer at the other end for it when we were done. All that stopped that train was that the 25 year TUV inspection rule for importing vehicles made it prohibitive.

Here are pics of it ready to ship: advocateone's Library | Photobucket

Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Has anyone had experience renting a camper in Europe? We will be there for 3 weeks this Fall.
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Glida, I have found that when renting a camper van or car in Europe it is often much cheaper if you shop on line from NA prior to going and book it rather than doing it when you get there. For many of the companies that rent the prices at the counter are often much higher than if you had booked ahead.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Carol,
Thank you for your advice. I have found many camper rental companies but am having a hard time sorting out which one(s) would be reputable. We will be traveling in Germany and Austria. Let me know if you have any further advice.
We are seasoned travelers in Europe as we lived there for a year and have traveled there many times including a 3 month tent camping trip!
Thanks,
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gilda, my info is probable a bit outdated re the campervans etc mostly car rentals in recent times but following The Tour through France one summer soon is also on my bucket list. :-)

You might want to start at Reidsguides.com for some help/ideas. Perhaps Andrew our European caravan guru might pipe in with some ideas as to the current reputable companies in regards to camping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I don't know about Katie & Boris, but if we didn't actually "Buy" books, what incentive would anyone have to write them?????
I completely agree! I appreciate folks posting reviews/opinions of such books. Websites like this are our version of The New York Times Review of Books, without which many authors' works would be unknown to the public...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Carol,
Thank you for your advice. I have found many camper rental companies but am having a hard time sorting out which one(s) would be reputable. We will be traveling in Germany and Austria. Let me know if you have any further advice.
We are seasoned travelers in Europe as we lived there for a year and have traveled there many times including a 3 month tent camping trip!
Thanks,
Gilda
Another resource that may interest you:

There are discussion Forums just like this one for European "Caravanners"- I recently joined one just to learn about European trailers, rules, approaches. Nothin' like hearing things straight from the horse's mouth...

Here's a link to the one I joined : The Caravan Owners Club. It's Great Britain-based. (Chosen 'cause I only speak/read/write English!)

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #15

Look at the second book, "Europe by Van and Motorhome", in Post #1. It's mostly about renting/leasing RV's in Europe. You get support from the authors when you buy the book either as hard copy or a download. It's a very small investment for lots of tips.